No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045184
01/10/24 07:39 AM
01/10/24 07:39 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I made Eagle. Years later my son made Eagle.

Then Scouts went woke. We disassociated ourselves. Its sad. I was a terrific organization.

Pete

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: warrior] #8045198
01/10/24 08:21 AM
01/10/24 08:21 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by James

I learned so much from the Scouts. How to camp out and survive bad weather. Start a fire in the rain. How to tie various knots. How to track animals, canoe, and use a compass.

We didn't have any predators among the men who volunteered their time to help out with the troop--just good role models. My Dad was one of them.

We didn't have any girls in Boy Scouts then.

What happened to the Boy Scouts of America? Do they still exist? Do they still teach outdoor skills like I was taught?

Jim

You is what happened to them. Your liberal ideas infected the morals of this nation.

But you can't see it because it's always about you.

warrior is correct. if you want to see what happened to the Boy Scouts, look in the mirror, Jim...the answer is there.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045202
01/10/24 08:31 AM
01/10/24 08:31 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Good question James.
My sons are Eagles with palms. I found out just this past fall one of the young ladies I coach on the high school trap team is a scout and in fact is just setting up her Eagle project. She may be 9th grade? Anyway I was not aware of any gals who could be scouts until now. Great young lady, respectful and obviously quite ambitious to be at this point of that process at her age.
She is hi on my list for receiving a western hunt.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045203
01/10/24 08:32 AM
01/10/24 08:32 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I went from tiger to Eagle as well, and loved it. I went to Philmont scout ranch when I was 15 and it was a life changing experience for me. Wife and I volunteered for a short time with a troop before we had kids.

I would never send my kids to scouts now.

The funny thing is, Girl Scouts wont allow boys, they say girls need a safe space just for girls. There doesn't seem to be much leftist outrage over that though, for some reason.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045210
01/10/24 08:40 AM
01/10/24 08:40 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Online content
trapper
Mike Cope  Online Content
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
I grew up in Boy Scouting.

IMO The beginning of the end was When they were targeted by an atheist family for the inclusion of God in the scout oath and the requirement for the boys to memorize and recite the Scout Oath.
Which the family was aware of when they joined the BSA.

The BSA settled with the family and thus opened themselves up to the LGBTwhatever inclusion issues that soon followed. Word got out that the BSA would cave and not fight for its stated Values.

The pedo thing I believe was much more isolated than was/is believed...Any is too much. I never heard about any in our area. We as boys were encouraged to report ect...

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045211
01/10/24 08:41 AM
01/10/24 08:41 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I would add this. As of 23 years ago or so the military was still impressed with lessons learned as a scout.
When my oldest son joined the Air Force a went to Texas for basic training the first thing that happened after being put in a line outside the bus was a question. Who’s was an Eagle Scout, and who had a college degree.
Those answering to the affirmative for either were taken away for good, advanced training and programs immediately.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045214
01/10/24 08:49 AM
01/10/24 08:49 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
I was Tiger through Eagle, at 15 years old in 1993. Then very active in OA. Some of my best childhood memories and lessons came from Boy Scouts. I was in during the beginning of the end. I will say that the adults of the Organization will make or break a Troop/Council. OA's original purpose has been gutted, the whole organization is an empty shell of what it used to be.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045217
01/10/24 08:56 AM
01/10/24 08:56 AM
West Virginia
D
DugK Offline
trapper
DugK  Offline
trapper
D

West Virginia
My son went from Tiger to Eagle, I was with him the whole way as a leader from a den leader to scout master. I know my sons troop did right by those young men teaching skills. We were very active backpacking the Appalachian Trail and even did a 100 miles over 10 days, they did the planning and the chose the trek. We had kids from other troops come with us on backpacking and canoe trips. My sons troop loved it when my inner Marine would come out and I would drill(march) them around the campsite at jamborees.
What I saw and didnt like was the changes coming down about the woke culture and the other thing was the good old boy network. There were too many leaders that were not capable of any physical activity and too many leaders sat around the campfire and did not give those young minds food for thought or know how to teach skills.
When my son was aging out, I asked those young men what they wanted to do as a final trip. I was thinking they would choose Philmont. They said, New York City. They said they have learned to read a map and can navigate the woods with a compass but they did not know how to navigate a train/subway system. So, thats what we did, they raised money and we stayed at a camp and took the train in to the City and to Statue of Liberty. I think their minds were blown by Times Square.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: warrior] #8045226
01/10/24 09:04 AM
01/10/24 09:04 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Online content
trapper
Giant Sage  Online Content
trapper
G

Wy

I learned so much from the Scouts. How to camp out and survive bad weather. Start a fire in the rain. How to tie various knots. How to track animals, canoe, and use a compass.

We didn't have any predators among the men who volunteered their time to help out with the troop--just good role models. My Dad was one of them.

What happened to the Boy Scouts of America? Do they still exist? Do they still teach outdoor skills like I was taught?

Jim

You is what happened to them. Your liberal ideas infected the morals of this nation.

Jim

Another loving edifying coment from our christion rabbi.
Or is it just trolling for Another thread to be axed?
Fine example from our representative of the southern baptist.

1 Timothy 5:20 them that sin rebuke before all, that others may also fear.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045230
01/10/24 09:09 AM
01/10/24 09:09 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
elkaholic congratulations to you. Good man.....jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: Giant Sage] #8045239
01/10/24 09:17 AM
01/10/24 09:17 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Or is it just trolling for Another thread to be axed?

Looks like you stumbled on to it. How naive would one have to be to believe he didn't already know the answer. That's not a question.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045240
01/10/24 09:24 AM
01/10/24 09:24 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I went from cub scouts to boy scouts in the mid sixty's, They were still active then but my troops leaders couldn't find their behinds with both hands, it was basically a social club. The last straw was I was berated for wearing my gray dress hush puppies with my uniform, we couldn't afford a separate pair of glossy black dress shoes just for scout meetings. That was my first command decision as a kid to quit that bunch.

I'm sure there were good troops, mine wasn't one of them....

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045255
01/10/24 09:49 AM
01/10/24 09:49 AM
NW MO
T
TurkeyTime Offline
trapper
TurkeyTime  Offline
trapper
T

NW MO
I was Bobcat (no Tiger) through Eagle as is oldest son. Other son started with Tiger and just started Boy Scouts last year. I am the Scoutmaster(started this year). We still do everything as in the past. One problem today is there are so many options that kids are involved in. Used to be Scouts and summer baseball was about it. Am not a fan of girls in Scouts but it doesn't affect us. There are no co-ed Troops. Have to be one or the other. Our summer camp has 1 or 2 weeks of girls and Troops. The rest are just boys. Determined son will get Eagle. If we ever have grandsons I am afraid the organization will be gone or close to.

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045308
01/10/24 11:04 AM
01/10/24 11:04 AM
Minnesota
4zebra61 Offline
trapper
4zebra61  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
This makes me sick, I started in Cub Scouts in the mid fifties and continued into the Boy Scouts in the sixties, I made it Star Scout and I soon discovered girls exist and quit, I learned most of my wood lore in scouts and I would say my biggest takeaway was to “ Be Prepared “ and it made me have better life….just saying!

MTA member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Winchester Arms Collector’s Assn.
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045326
01/10/24 11:42 AM
01/10/24 11:42 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I never joined but I do know there was a heck of a good bunch of troop leaders in the little town I went to school in. They had a firearms safety course and then marksmen clinic that they opened up to all boys- anyone who didn't member up just had to get a permission slip and waiver signed by a parent to attend that series of clinics.

Looking back, I am not sure if it was an official BSA function or just something the local scout leader knew every child needed, so taught in his off time. Either way, it was a commitment to the community not just thr scouts.

In that same little community the 3 gentleman that taught the trapping pre-license course made themselves available to any of us little snot nosed kids for years after we passed. They were awesome.

To top it off, a HS teacher and drivers Ed instructor owned a gun shop and would sell all of our parents used firearms with deep discounts on anything he knew they were buying for us. The first time I heard the term it takes a village to raise a child I thought it was a wholesome concept and described that same little "village" and how they did things.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045365
01/10/24 12:44 PM
01/10/24 12:44 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the village responsibility you are talking about is a good thing. the govt wanted parents to have less say in raising their child

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: danny clifton] #8045383
01/10/24 01:06 PM
01/10/24 01:06 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by danny clifton
the village responsibility you are talking about is a good thing. the govt wanted parents to have less say in raising their child

Yes a certain female really turned that concept 180 degrees.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: Osky] #8045391
01/10/24 01:22 PM
01/10/24 01:22 PM
Minnesota
4zebra61 Offline
trapper
4zebra61  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
What Osky said!

MTA member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Winchester Arms Collector’s Assn.
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: James] #8045685
01/10/24 07:37 PM
01/10/24 07:37 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Was James ever a boy?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Boy Scouts [Re: Vinke] #8045693
01/10/24 07:42 PM
01/10/24 07:42 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Vinke
Was James ever a boy?

He was born a hairy chested man, smoking a cigar.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread