Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective #8102039
03/17/24 07:10 PM
03/17/24 07:10 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Some things just come together to perfection, like a well oiled machine.

Every moment from day one, has been complete enjoyment for me , since JR so kindly invited me to see the mountains of his line. The up close and personal touching of these ranges that I illustrated , along with his wolverine, for the cover of Trappers Post, is a never ending invigorating current revving high gear into all my senses. Red line.

The only other aspect that eclipses all this natural beauty , are the equally warm people I have been having the pleasure of meeting and getting to know.

It is my privilege and honor to share my life with such people.

I told JR I wanted to be a little like a tourist, but a lot helper in every place he takes me. Willing to work and help make anything that much smoother . He assured me that he will do just that . " I'll work you like a borrowed mule", he likes to tell me , well, I'm not afraid of helping grin

JR helped us to work out the plan . My main concern was food supplies for meals, and all that fell into place as nothing I've ever seen , and we took off the next day. I felt as in a dream from day one. I am still in that dream.

I couldn't have a better man to look forward in diving into the land , and in helping me to understand the personality of overflow . To take the edge off my fear of them , so I can calmly enjoy the magnitude of colours they have. That hollow crunch sound of the tracks , a full stop, then actually walking on the ice. With the same hollow crunch and cracking !

" JR, I hear water gurgling and creaking under me "...forgetting to breathe.

" It's ok, that ice you're on is thick and you'll be fine. Look at the colours on this area". He was good at distracting me . I became absorbed with the glacial blues and whites of ice strata .

After the first day, I was thrilled. I had conquered a huge fear of stories and photos of waters swallowing up machines and drenched riders. The next day, he found an amazing sloped ledge of overflow, had me dismount my metal steed, and quite literally led me up that slope to stand on a most beautiful wonder of ice and colour.

"Turn around, I'm gonna take a picture of you." I was fearful of sliding down the slope like an otter, but my Steger's taught me just how amazing they are on sheer ice.

My fearful smile turned to exultant jubilation.

"See? I told you that you could do it", he smiled, his camera snapping away.

There were not enough words to describe my new found courage . I was so happy walking around, I forgot that JR wanted to get going , so he reminded me to mount up ...he was smiling at my child like excitement .

Even when I said, like a child," I'm having an epiphany !"

" Just get your ----- on the ----- machine"....he said , smiling...he added a couple of words in those directions, but I'll leave those out grin

I am at the mid way point on my journey . As I knew, time is flying way too fast. I could explore those mountains forever.

The depth of feeling I experienced, in seeing the ranges that I spent hours drawing, colouring in, was overwhelming . We discussed the twists , turns, colour changes of the peaks , the moods they give from morning to night, even at night. Thankfully, JR wants to take me back out on the trail this next week . I will be ready to capture more images.

The re freeze really messed with a number of his traps, having to chop them out and re set them. Watching him work with such smooth professionalism , at last. I saw all the places I've only studied in one dimensional photos , to living colour, multi dimensions of observed appreciative learning.

I hadn't been told the half of the beauty I have absorbed, and still am.

I think I am redeeming myself as a happy tag along , with my cooking skills, helping with wood, cleaning, etc.

The Fling yesterday was awesome. And so fun. But with a glimpse of the immense work in preparations and cooperation required by many hands and minds to bring it all together. I don't know how many people there were that attended the events, from the fur auction, the Banquet and inside auction, to the second day today as well, but the place has been packed .

But I am getting ahead of myself. For now, in sections, here are some images of my journey , with Iron Man . Who has been patient and thoughtful of me. I think he is enjoying himself too.

I could have never kept up with him if I drove my own machine. He planned it perfectly that I ride in back with him, being able to enjoy the mountains much better , with easy communication for stopping.

JR drives snow machine like I ride race horses. We hit some dips and bumps that unseated us both , us, the machine, and sled, all airborne. Good thing I am an adept horse rider. I would have never stayed on some of those maneuvers. If that machine was a horse acting like that, I would have taken a whip to it ...

Off the trail , one afternoon, JR was showing me some great country but the going was tough with no groomed trail . The snow depth grabbed us and the next thing I knew, we were tipping over . It was as if in slow motion we tipped over, sinking into the depth of snow. I was fine, so was JR, of course. He jumped up and righted the machine with all that weight that was attached to it. Effortlessly. Strong as an ox. He was ready to go and I was still in the snow...all my clothes in the way of a graceful jump up...needless to say, however deep that snow was ! He wanted to know what I was doing down there...I just need to make some snow angels , that was my excuse , anyway ..

I had fun even doing that . We were not injured and the machine didn't fall on us. It listed like a ship. Another exciting adventure for me with nothing broke or injured. And I saw more lovely country in new dimensions. Maybe we can do that again this next week ...I'll take pics this time.

Morning glow at the cabin .
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My first overflow epiphany. The slope in front was steeper than it looks in the photo. Honest...it was.... I was ecstatic.
[Linked Image]

This machine never ceased to amaze me at its power, reliability, and consistent transporting us safely through it all, no matter the temp. It was so comfortable for me. I gripped it just as I do a horse to balance, stand halfway often in leg hydraulics over the rough areas or unexpected drops.

JR drives as fast as he can on the smoother places, but slow and careful as a surgeon around rocks, trees, and open water leads. He took good care of us. Not once was I ever doubtful or frightened . I had full free abandon confidence in him.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The mountain I put so much work into , for the cover art. Sheep Mtn. It is lovely no matter how you view it , from any angle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I forget the names of other mountains here, and I invite JR to please fill in the names if he desires.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A military chopper flew over us out on an open flat, and we waved at them. JR said he turned on the lights to get their attention . They flew straight to us . What a hoot. He said jets and choppers have a habit of flying along those areas. Fun to see them.
Closer view of our ride. I sure like this machine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102042
03/17/24 07:11 PM
03/17/24 07:11 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
More good shares to come a bit later. I am having the time of my life.

[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102064
03/17/24 07:42 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
"........the happiest girl.....in the whole USA ...." laugh

Thanks for the report. You gonna skin a wolf ?

Mean As Nails
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102065
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
Wow! Looks like an awesome time. As a mountain lover, I don’t know why I’m living out here…lol.
Those skidoos must be Skandics eh? 4 strokes?

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: white17] #8102070
03/17/24 07:46 PM
03/17/24 07:46 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon

Originally Posted by white17

Skinning wolves ain’t all it’s cracked up to be!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102323
03/17/24 11:37 PM
03/17/24 11:37 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
No trip to Alaska range trapping is complete without some time wolf skinning!

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: newhouse114] #8102326
03/17/24 11:58 PM
03/17/24 11:58 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by newhouse114

I have to think Sharon would take the opportunity, if it’s available.

Happy to see you making new memories, Ms. Sharon. The photos are amazing.

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: newhouse114] #8102331
03/18/24 12:29 AM
03/18/24 12:29 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by newhouse114

grin I have resolved to skin whatever critter JR directs me to do. Howevah. What he did catch last week, was an upset porcupine. He says they chew on everything , and they do. So, he dealt with that . I would happily detail or pinstripe anything JR would want me to.

For some reason, I think skinning the wee ones , like ermine and marten, are the things I'd love.

[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102340
03/18/24 01:42 AM
03/18/24 01:42 AM
Interior Alaska
smalltimetrapper Offline
small greenhorn
smalltimetrapper  Offline
small greenhorn

Interior Alaska
Sounds like a great adventure for you! Hope the wolves cooperate and you get some fur next week. I was at the auction today, was gonna stop by and say hello on the way home, but ran out of time. Thanks for the artwork you did for the ATA, it was beautiful!

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102491
03/18/24 09:26 AM
03/18/24 09:26 AM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Thanks for the ride along Ms. Sharon. Your story telling proves you are as skilled with a pen and paper as you are a paint brush. I could almost hear the snow crunching beneth your boots as well as seeing the colors of the mountain range. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102562
03/18/24 10:52 AM
03/18/24 10:52 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I have never heard anyone claim that overflow had "personality!" That is great!

Pete

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102650
03/18/24 12:58 PM
03/18/24 12:58 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thank you, Mike, and Ctraps, more photos coming.

N114, you sure had the whole auction in an uproar with your trap for the 50th ! Excellent artwork, as usual.

Smalltime, Im sorry we didnt meet. I would have liked that very much. I want to do my part to contribute for this remarkable milestone for the ATA. And what better way to do that , than an original framed wolverine . The print of JR's wuff was another good one as well. Just not an original, but a very good print regardless.

Pete ! So good of you to stop in yesterday and have me meet the Hollywood Tucker . That was fun for me. I rarely get to have hands on meetings with the portraits of people's animals who commission me. Tucker has a signature announcing of his arrival similar to the Roman Dignitaries in the town square. Instead of the sounding trumpets, I heard his howling INSIDE Pete's truck a block away, before they pulled into the drive !

On this note, here is Mr Hollywood himself . Only paying attention when offered treats ! I had to keep hold of him or else he would make a bee line for JR's bears on the wall .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102660
03/18/24 01:08 PM
03/18/24 01:08 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
So................Tucker commissioned a portrait of Pete ??? Did I understand that correctly ??

Mean As Nails
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102666
03/18/24 01:18 PM
03/18/24 01:18 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Pleasure meeting you at the fling smile Glad you made it up here and had a good time running with JR! He runs some of the most beautiful country in the state, IMO. Appreciate the art you created and donated for the auction! Hope you make it up here again!

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8102693
03/18/24 01:47 PM
03/18/24 01:47 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Glad you discerned that correctly, Sir Ken wink

HFT, my pleasure to meet you as well. I'm looking forward to enjoying more of the country this week too. And it was fun to donate my wolverine to the cause. JR and I recalled this morning, that the original wolverine went for $ 900 plus change, and JR's wuff print went for around $ 500 plus.
I'm happy that contributes to the ATA. I would love to come back and enjoy everything all over again.

These next shots were from the fur auction, on the first day. Arlin , JR's neighbor and long time friend, was kind to take me there and drop me back to the house. JR had a long day both days there . He also built some hefty stairs that made access to the stage safe and easy. A lot of preparation before the auction. Ill start with those stairs.

JR is one talented worker in metal art as well as industrial building. The Iron Man himself.
[Linked Image]

First day of the fur auction. I really liked being there. The stairs did the job.
[Linked Image]

The auctioneer,Dwight , is a true Montanan who did a fine job keeping track of the bidding . Not only for the fur auction, but the Fling as well. He puts style into his job !
[Linked Image]
Have a look at that wolverine. There were several like that bloke that sold.
[Linked Image]

Many hands helped the process along.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A gorgeous set of antlers that JR sold. 68-74 spread. This was separate of the auction events. I just really liked those antlers.
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8103073
03/18/24 10:14 PM
03/18/24 10:14 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Tomorrow, I think, I will disappear again on walkabout to the mountains . Back to the cabin. So I wanted to do more catch up on recent events.

The preparations that went into the Fling and auction really showed. The decor in classy taste, the catering, banquet, the foundations were planned with such care. I appreciated the table area I was seated in . To the front and side, with a view of the stage and tables off to the side in back. It was filled with people. To a person, everyone was polite, mannerly and thoughtful .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There was fun company at my table too. I was in the seat next to JR .
[Linked Image]
It was fun meeting Pete and Emma. The owners of Hollywood Tucker.
[Linked Image]
I thought my wolverine would be along the walls somewhere. I was surprised to see him jumping out of his frame right up front on the podium. Along with the pencil art print of JR's wuff. I had not been present to see my own things bid on at any auction. It was another first for me. I am so glad the funds from all the unique items went to a good cause.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Of course, quite a stir commenced over the beauty of an ivory trap that Chuck carved, even more so this 50th . Everyone cheered as the bidding went higher and higher, and that Montana cowboy auctioneer really put his all into the energy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dave Miller was at our table and took wonderful photos of the evening. He was so pleasant to visit with. At one point, we were a few yards away from each other and we smiled at each other with cameras in our hands. I signaled to him that we should take shots of each other at the same time. That was fun.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dave was so kind as he took his photos.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What a wonderful time.
Ill finish this set with a pretty crossbill that was tal [Linked Image]
king to me just a few feet away at the cabin last week. Jr's camera captured this beautifully.

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8103248
03/19/24 08:18 AM
03/19/24 08:18 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Thanks for posting all the pictures. The pics of mountains and the blue sky with whisps of clouds, BEAUTIFULL !

RdFx
Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: white17] #8103334
03/19/24 10:29 AM
03/19/24 10:29 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
So................Tucker commissioned a portrait of Pete ??? Did I understand that correctly ??

CLOSE.....!

[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8103485
03/19/24 02:47 PM
03/19/24 02:47 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
grin

A few more pics to add.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some thoughtful gifts from JR. The calender has his beautiful photos throughout.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: ATA Fling,Snow Angels, the Artist's Perspective [Re: Sharon] #8108350
03/26/24 04:03 PM
03/26/24 04:03 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline OP
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline OP
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
I am finally organized from my trip and so here is the rest of the story. I am no worse for wear, with the full speed ahead snow machine rides , and helping JR load trailers , along with other chores. It all was great fun and learning .

I didn't get any photos, but after the auctions, JR had me helping him log and take stock of every stack of fur that was left over, in his shop, that needed to get back to the trappers. Soon I was into a smooth orderly procedure helping him, count each fur, the numbers, JR writing each bundle or single down on the list. With me helping, this count went a lot faster for JR. His procedure left no room for error , to make sure left over fur returned to the owners.

Along with folks stopping in , that was basically the next day or so , along with a few trips in town , and in enjoying a small museum of native art and history .

JR's plans right away , was to load the trailer up with the next job in hauling freight . I was able to help him load some of that onto the trailer , using his truck to pull the heavy things with a pulley up the ramp . With himself balancing the loads and guiding them as it rolled up.

I enjoy helping , even though it sometimes means having to learn new things and new ways of taking up the slack. I am my own worst critic, wanting to do them fast and correct in following JR's directions, that I experience a freeze up mental wall at times, blanking out temporarily in focus , until he explains again what or where I should go and do. I have had this mental wall freeze, since I was a girl, from wanting to please my father so much without taking a lot of time to learn, afraid of inconveniencing him. I only get this way , with people I respect very much. No one else has that influence on me. They can be the most seemingly simplest things, but to me they are solid walls , when I get that way. JR understood my mental handicap and was very patient with me. If he had not been so, I would have gotten worse. Instead, once I snap out of my freeze up, then I am off and running , happy to help.

The days left showed much promise in perfect weather. Oh good, even more overflow to enjoy, I anticipated. I am so glad JR wanted to take us back out.

JR with a moose rub.
[Linked Image]
Wuffs killed this moose. Right on the trail. A fresh kill . JR would have had a wuff in each trap if the weather hadnt of froze them up .
[Linked Image]
A perfect day with my driver . We looked for antlers along the way , as well as seeing how deep the snow was off the groomed trail ...
[Linked Image]
Sheep mountain cabin. There are not enough words to describe this place. I could live there forever. I wanted to give an offer to JR , but he won't sell it to me ...
[Linked Image]
A nice rest in his high land cabin, with a snack.
[Linked Image]
You can't beat this shot with a stick. Stylin .
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I liked how the ice layered up in a dome . Shows the power of upward thrust of sheer water and ice. The colours were beautiful up close.
[Linked Image]
More overflow to enjoy. JR helped me to go out on them with much more confidence. After starting out with the Tim Conway shuffle , I became even a bit cheeky in enjoying the experience. The layered colours, reflections, hollow crunch walking , hearing running water way under me, was epic. I was transfixed every time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The last days were quite a lot warmer. All I needed was my Irish sweater and long wool shirt . It was great.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
More to come in a bit...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman