Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: castor and Vaseline? [Re: Willoughby] #8107967
03/26/24 02:28 AM
03/26/24 02:28 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Castor lure for beaver is pretty much useless here from mid November to mid April.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: castor and Vaseline? [Re: Drakej] #8108021
03/26/24 06:22 AM
03/26/24 06:22 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Drakej
I agree that there are many other possible scents that can be added to a beaver lure but the question was can it really be that uncomplicated and I think it can for most beaver trappers. I add the sack oil for its preverving and waterproofing and don't find it odor a negative to any degree. My jar of lure is many years old and I just add new castor and sack oil when needed. I don't catch truck fulls of beaver but I have wondered how much local castor works over non local castor to any degree. Might it have regional appeal or superiority?

Hmm, sac oil really isnt a preservative..it can get pretty bad, Castor on the other hand is its own preservative.

If you really want to find a super castor from a beaver you caught...save the castors out of beaver thats holey-er than swiss cheese. Any beaver than smells that castor will want to come over to kick its butt.

As for regional thing...paul only uses southern castor for Backbreaker as it has a different smell than our northern castor.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91