No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Horse people [Re: Wolfdog91] #8120898
04/13/24 11:38 AM
04/13/24 11:38 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Trade it for a gun

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Horse people [Re: Sharon] #8121120
04/13/24 08:21 PM
04/13/24 08:21 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Sharon
Danny has a good point.

Wolfie, hosses take a lot of work, knowledge , money to keep properly. A big learning process that really takes some years to become decent in riding, knowing behavior patterns so that you keep from having a bad injury, or try to keep safe. Though, things happen to the best horsemen .

I don't think you'd be happy with this project, or have the time, for that matter. She looks to be what is called a "grade" horse, someone's backyard pet. Those usually come with their own less than safe habits, from poor ownership.

Rather, it is so much more fun, and safer, to ride with an instructor, or a paid for trail ride in a nice Natl. Park , something like that, where you never have the headaches in expenses year round. I would try that route first before ever taking on such a project as this one, just to see if you'd even like it.

I have been in a "sweet spot " situation for some time now...I don't own any horses....but I have all my gear to ride anyone else's horses or mules. I use their headgear but my Aussie saddle . No money spent, can leave anytime without finding someone to care for them. I ride everyone else's , when folks know they don't have to worry about you, or better yet, every time you ride their horse, you benefit the owner with free on the spot training as you go, there are plenty of rides to choose from in any direction of the compass you want to go.

I think your time on such a nice job , as you've had lately, is so good for you in so many ways. Any large animal , at this time, would only cost you a lot of money. And you would still have a grade horse with whatever bad habits the owners ingrained .

Just my 2.

So, I'm not really looking at riding her or anything honestly if I'm going to be 100% honest. So me and Dad have kinda a soft spot for animals and just something about seeing a critters thats obviously not had the best life and having the opportunity to change that .. idk we've just always done it. Dad always joked that he thinks the good Lord sends these critters our way for a reason. Dad really seems to love doin it , think it's therapy for him to a degree. Went over today and he was telling me about how the horse was swimming in the pond and how she just seemed really happy. And he seemed really really happy about that. He point blank said he really doesn't mind, what's the problem with one horse in a 20 acre field is all she does is walk around eats lil extra cow feed and look pretty.

Idk we think we know where they got her and if we're right..... Would explain a lot. Like I when I say she's off she doesn't act like most horses I've been around that have been taken care of decently. Got her eathing out of my hand and letting her pet me after 15min today but it's like she doesn't really understand what's goin on. Really standoff ish, seems not to want to make eye contact or look directly at you ... A lot like a beat dog. Also looks like they never took her halter off. Have a feeling they did what I see a lot down here do when they dite about 10' of rope to the halter and just let it dark so they constantly step on it and jerk there head down.....not sure what it's for but it's pretty common around here ..

Some more pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Idk call me a wuss Disney kid or whenever I just hate seeing animals like this and when one just plops into my lap I can't help but want to try and do , a little something and dad's the same way

Re: Horse people [Re: backroadsarcher] #8121121
04/13/24 08:23 PM
04/13/24 08:23 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Originally Posted by Yes sir
If that's grain she's eating in that pic it looks to be enough to founder her especially if she's not use to it. Her condition doesn't really look poor too me. Some horses just aren't build as thick as others. Can't see ribs or back bone. If she's been eating free choice grain out of that bunk for a couple days your probably right that there is something wrong with her

This right here. If she is not used to eating grain you need to make sure she isn't getting to much or she will founder. Then you have bigger problems. Her top side and back end look like they might need a bit of help but she don't look really bad. Grass hay or small grass pasture is what she needs.

Founder ? And she has the whole pasture to herself most of the day and can really wander the property as much as she likes as long as no feces get broken

Re: Horse people [Re: KeithC] #8121122
04/13/24 08:25 PM
04/13/24 08:25 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by KeithC
I am not a horse guy, but have several good friends that are. My opinion is she needs to have hoofs shaped to help her stand, walk and run better. Her form seems off because of the hoofs. Excellent hoof care is crucial to horses, if you want them to perform well.

Keith

Well I do have a buddy who's a farrier and owners me a favor so I'll have to see what he's been up to

Re: Horse people [Re: Wolfdog91] #8121133
04/13/24 08:45 PM
04/13/24 08:45 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Well then, by all means, enjoy letting her eat in the field. If yall want to keep her, might be good to make a written agreement with her owner. If that matters to both sides. If it is a relaxed agreement of babysitting between neighbors , sometimes that can work ok.

The dragging rope is usually for training to stand ground tied, or to be able to be tied in different areas and being used to not getting tangled as she grazes. I surely would give her skin a rest with that halter. Many folks don't want halters on a horse in the field as they can snag it on anything , pull back and get injured. At the least, the halter on all the time can make for bad rubs and bald spots. If she isn't needed to be caught often, I feel the halter is a moot point . However, to trim those feet , give yearly shots, worming, treating an injury, you'll need to be able to catch her. Or have her used to entering a small enclosure to get treats. That can be closed off to be able to catch and halter her.

Since she doesn't sound aggressive spoiled, but timid, doing what you've been doing is a good way to gain confidence between you both.

In natural horsemanship, understanding eye contact and body language is key. They communicate in many ways to one who knows what to look for.

I too am a bit of a magnet for folks loose horses . Often they come to my place and hang out. I know everyone around here, and who owns them. It is a relaxed atmosphere , and usually the owners don't mind their horses going on walkabout for a time, as long as they don't get on the main road. After they trim the grass a bit, I catch them up , put my bridle on them , mount up and ride them back to their places. Sometimes they make the round trip back themselves. No worries . Kind of fun having the kids visit.

If you and Dad are happy, she's happy, and the owners don't mind, have fun.

Re: Horse people [Re: Wolfdog91] #8121207
04/13/24 09:59 PM
04/13/24 09:59 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
Wolfdog, nice looking pony you have their and I hope you enjoy. I would have the hoofs trimmed and while tied up use a good wormer. Every six weeks do the same. As mentioned have the teeth checked. With a long rope or round pen you can work him on the ground, prior to getting on it's back.

Re: Horse people [Re: Wolfdog91] #8121312
04/14/24 02:01 AM
04/14/24 02:01 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
You need to learn to ride her. The black redneck, as you used to call yourself, image just won't be complete unless you saunter down Main St. Mississippi on the back of a horse with a six shooter on your side, lol.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Horse people [Re: yotetrapper30] #8121410
04/14/24 08:37 AM
04/14/24 08:37 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
You need to learn to ride her. The black redneck, as you used to call yourself, image just won't be complete unless you saunter down Main St. Mississippi on the back of a horse with a six shooter on your side, lol.

LOL!
Yes, you need to get on and rider you would enjoy it, I bet. You could ride thru McDonalds and order a Big Mac. Go for it!!!

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread