No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104346
03/20/24 03:11 PM
03/20/24 03:11 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
The grizzly bear lawsuit would effect trapping where there’s grizzlies as you wouldn’t be able to trap wolves in those areas and I think it would effect cat and coyote trapping as well so as trappers we do have a dog in the fight

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8104385
03/20/24 03:52 PM
03/20/24 03:52 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
could someone post a link to the Grizzly bear lawsuit in Idaho ? I would like review it.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Jakeland] #8104389
03/20/24 04:00 PM
03/20/24 04:00 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Jakeland
The grizzly bear lawsuit would effect trapping where there’s grizzlies as you wouldn’t be able to trap wolves in those areas and I think it would effect cat and coyote trapping as well so as trappers we do have a dog in the fight

Thanks for that info Jake.
A good reason to fight to allow trapping to continue regardless where the bear thing goes.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8104466
03/20/24 05:32 PM
03/20/24 05:32 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Jakeland

Thanks for that info Jake.
A good reason to fight to allow trapping to continue regardless where the bear thing goes.

Exactly!

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8106938
03/24/24 12:55 PM
03/24/24 12:55 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
If you google Intermountain Fur Harvesters 2024 sale results you will get results and averages for our sale.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8107670
03/25/24 02:58 PM
03/25/24 02:58 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho
https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/fg-d...arding-wolf-trapping-and-grizzly-bears-0

Boco,
We did not get involved in any hunting ban but have gotten involved in others (coyote killing contests, thermal hunting proposals, wolf hunting seasons) and will protect/support/ect hunting issues if it something to help our allies with or if it affects furbearers or/and predators. We knew the ramifications if this grizzly ruling got pushed through so we officially became intervenors along with FTA and NTA a couple years ago. This shut down early wolf seasons in 88% of the units that harvested wolves last year. We lost 82 days of early part of the season and 31 days at the end. Thats all I can comment about at this time.
Rusty

Life member of ITA, NTA, and NRA. President for Idaho Trappers Association.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8115900
04/06/24 06:38 PM
04/06/24 06:38 PM
ID
F
FREEMAN TRAPPER Offline
trapper
FREEMAN TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
F

ID
St. Maries Fur Sale Results.

Beaver 437 offered, 100% sold, Avg - $ 29.80 High - $61.04
Bobcat 171 offered, 95% sold, Avg - $ 194.80 High - $ 587.13
Coyote 114 offered, 86% sold, Avg - $16.80 High - $53.13
Marten 233 offered, 100% sold, Avg - $ 51.60 High - $81.69
Muskrat 370 offered, 99% sold, Avg - $4.18 High - $5.40
Otter 81 offered, 100% sold, Avg - $59.30 High - $76.50
Raccoon 74 offered, 77% sold, Avg - $5.19 High - $ 9.10
Skunk 92 offered, 100% sold, Avg - $17.65 High - $26.95

It looks like there were a lot of satisfied trappers at our St. Maries Fur Sale! We have a great bunch of volunteers at the Intermountain Fur Harvesters and their work and commitment is very much appreciated.

I have seen a lot of talk on this forum in regard to our Fur Sale in St. Maries, I would like to clear a few things up. In regard to Musty's post and him not being happy with what he was paid for his beaver, I do not understand this, because he had a minimum on all of his lots and the high bid exceeded them, so where is the problem? In regard to the tanned wolf, the high bid was $312.00 it did not meet the asking price and the seller took it home. There is nothing "Shady" going on at the Intermountain Fur Harvesters Sales. These are all sealed bids we do not and cannot have control over what a buyer bids on each lot. For clarification we had 18 buyers at our sale, 8 were large buyers and 10 were smaller buyers, and we appreciate each one of them.

As far as EGOS go there aren't any! The IFH, ITA, USRT and the F4WM all help and support each other at our Fur Sales, Trappers Banquets, F4WM Banquets and NTA Rendezvous.
And we all do this for one reason, UNITED WE STAND DEVIDED WE FALL!!

With Support and Respect for all Trappers,
Intermountain Fur Harvesters President, Bernie Nelson

P.S. Hope to see you all at the NTA Western Regional in Glennsferry, Idaho May 31 - June 1, 2024.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8115930
04/06/24 06:57 PM
04/06/24 06:57 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
It is good to see you on here Bernie. Thanks for your post.
Ted

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8116548
04/07/24 12:26 PM
04/07/24 12:26 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Yes, thanks for the post Bernie.

Musty,
I talked to the buyer who I'm sure bought your beaver. Anyways it was a lot of over fifty beaver from your area. He said he didn't know they got beaver that good over there, and bragged up your put up. (I seen it, excellent job. I wasn't at the sale, but I would expect he was telling the truth when he said they were the nicest put up beaver on the sale). He was very surprised he got them at the price he bid, he expected to be outbid by one of the bigger buyers. Just for the info, quality and put up can matter, those beaver aren't going to the hatter market, he has an outlet for a small number of quality beaver each year, he had already filled that order this year but your beaver were nice enough he bid on them to hold over for next year.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8116570
04/07/24 12:53 PM
04/07/24 12:53 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Bernie makes an excellent point about minimum bids. When we think things are going really well on prices we sometimes drop our guard in that dept. I know of a lot of trappers that put nominal or no minimums on their lots. You do this at your own peril. When I put minimums on my lots I'm always hoping that the bid will be higher (much higher).... but it is the magic number that I will sell at and not feel ripped off.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8116709
04/07/24 04:37 PM
04/07/24 04:37 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy
I been biting my tongue but can't any longer.
--Greedy associations? We are in the middle of a federal grizzly lawsuit. Even though we are only paying 1/3 of the bill it is still draining our accounts. Fur sale is our biggest fundraiser.
--Too big of egos to merge organizations in Idaho? I personally nominated and encouraged the leaders of the two other Idaho groups to run for ITA director positions. I personally have stood on the platform of merging all groups into one organization since I ran for the President position a decade ago.
--My wife and me were at the St Maries sale from start to finish. I have attended every Upper Snake sale since I became president as well.
--I won't apologize for non residents bringing or shipping fur into our sale. Almost 20% of our membership is out of staters and they have just as much right to come to our sales as anyone else. Just like Idahoans are welcome to go to a out of state sale.
--I'm sorry our March sale was too big. We are looking at solutions on fixing that problem by next year.
--By the way, due to requests from buyers and trappers we will be having a clean up sale on April 27th. Consignment only. Hoping it is a quick 4 hr sale.
--Very proud of our volunteers and so I do get defensive of them.

Rusty

One question-why as a trapping organization,are you spending time and money on a hunting issue?

Mostly because the Anti types are tying the two together. That's the short version.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8116712
04/07/24 04:39 PM
04/07/24 04:39 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy
https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/fg-d...arding-wolf-trapping-and-grizzly-bears-0

Boco,
We did not get involved in any hunting ban but have gotten involved in others (coyote killing contests, thermal hunting proposals, wolf hunting seasons) and will protect/support/ect hunting issues if it something to help our allies with or if it affects furbearers or/and predators. We knew the ramifications if this grizzly ruling got pushed through so we officially became intervenors along with FTA and NTA a couple years ago. This shut down early wolf seasons in 88% of the units that harvested wolves last year. We lost 82 days of early part of the season and 31 days at the end. Thats all I can comment about at this time.
Rusty

Boco, Here's a better description of a PART of the problem/issue. Just read the article and you'll understand a lot more than meets the eye.

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 04/07/24 04:40 PM.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8117094
04/07/24 11:28 PM
04/07/24 11:28 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Its all hokey, a grz could pop a wolf snare breakaway no problem,
No need to restrict trapping because of grizzlies.Definitely fight that BS.

Last edited by Boco; 04/07/24 11:32 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8117202
04/08/24 08:22 AM
04/08/24 08:22 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

“We’re very disappointed in this decision,” Fish and Game Director Jim Fredericks said. “While wolf trapping seasons will change to comply with the order, we’re considering our legal options to reverse a decision we believe is wrong based on the law and on-the-ground reality.”

Must be nice to have a Fish and Game Director willing to step up and support sound responsible wildlife management in your state. We could use more like him.

Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Boco] #8117387
04/08/24 12:03 PM
04/08/24 12:03 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Its all hokey, a grz could pop a wolf snare breakaway no problem,
No need to restrict trapping because of grizzlies.Definitely fight that BS.

Being a retired grizz guide, I noticed that these critters come in different sized packages. confused

Who is John Galt?
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8118472
04/09/24 08:04 PM
04/09/24 08:04 PM
wa
F
FranktheTank Offline
trapper
FranktheTank  Offline
trapper
F

wa
A few cleanup comments that probably aren't needed...I sold and bought at IFH, as well as the recent FHA auction.

Buyers; just because there may have been plenty of buyers, that doesn't mean there was competition for everything. coming back from FHA, an auction that occurred just a short time after IFH, I can say anything over 30 for decent sized, decent felted, western beavers is a good price. And those buyers aren't weighing up there. They only see a 6 beaver sample of 50 or 200 beaver anyway. The good news is, your beaver aren't going to price really low. Bad news is that it isn't going through the roof, either. If you got big money for western beaver, it was exceptional and isn't going to the hatter market. Just like those Eastern Black Blanket heavies at FHA.

Speaking of FHA, they are grading beaver for garment, just like they always have. if the buyers this year are buying for felt, they can figure it out. Well put up fur will always give you options. Or, if you're like me, is just happy all my self-damaged beavers found a home as well! I just wish I could buy one weasel there...

I'm buying for a different reason than Kortum, even if we were to compete for the same item. I may have a customer that REALLY need something. He, on one species may be using his money, on another, be buying for a broker, for another species, for an individual. No one else knows. If you want to know, I suggest consulting the Magic 8 Ball.

Same with cats. I probably would have made decent money if I would have been at Klamath or Glenns Ferry instead of at Lacy, WA. But with no real competition, and possibly no demand, my decent cats got real low bids. The buyer was likely banking on no competition. I no saled them and am sending them to FHA-again, a roll of the dice. Saw this happen up at FHA, where the auction house did so to protect the trappers from the buyers.

Lastly, these sales are human institutions. They can always be improved upon. Many folks on here know each other or know personally those of whom someone is talking about. May I suggest, especially in these times, even "amongst ourselves" on forums such as these, if we see issues that we believe are serious, we address them to individuals and privately and be careful with accusations, especially of entire organizations.

OK, really lastly, we're working on purchasing George Brady's (my father in law) shop. Once that is done (hopefully) I can commit to being an FHA receiving agent. This doesn't mean I'll be spending my entire winter on the road, but it will be something. Now I just need to find a home for the 10 gallons of coyote buttholes George had me save.

Frank the Tank
"I just ride on them. I don't know what makes them work."
Re: IFH fur sale St. Maries, ID [Re: Musty] #8121582
04/14/24 01:42 PM
04/14/24 01:42 PM
Washington
M
Musty Offline OP
trapper
Musty  Offline OP
trapper
M

Washington
Figured I'd get on here and say a few things.
I spoke to Bernie a couple days ago. And while I don't agree with him on the error printed in the paperwork at the auction, it was wrong of me to get on here and spout off about it. I apologize for that and don't mean anything bad towards the intermountain fur harvesters organization.
Anyways, just wanted to say my bad. Hope y'all have a great summer and maybe see you around cool

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread