No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: do more than just a will [Re: ou812] #8139613
05/15/24 06:03 PM
05/15/24 06:03 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
I was widowed when I was 32 years old, and my husband and I happened to do everything right. Aside from wills, etc. I cannot emphasize enough to make sure all bank accounts are joint. Bank accounts will go into probate if they are not. If a bank account is a joint account, the day after a spouse's death is no different than the day before. All funds are available and the surviving spouse is able to access funds and pay bills, etc. My friends in banking also say that you should not notify your bank of a spouse's death for a year or so. Don't take his or her name off the joint account. It is very common for unexpected funds to be deposited that would be rejected if the name is no longer on the account.

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: do more than just a will [Re: Patrice] #8139620
05/15/24 06:10 PM
05/15/24 06:10 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
A word about credit cards... There is a difference between a joint credit card account and one person being the primary account holder and ordering a second card for the spouse. When the primary account holder dies, if the spouse is merely an extra cardholder and notifies the credit card company, they might instantly cancel the card! Not all companies, but some big ones do! I have an older relative who was paying the bills on her own for years although her late husband had been the primary card holder. She mentioned his death to the company and they cancelled her account immediately. Bad day!

Re: do more than just a will [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8139665
05/15/24 07:27 PM
05/15/24 07:27 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Good thread. If I may add. Health directives are also a good to have in place.

Re: do more than just a will [Re: stinkypete] #8139700
05/15/24 08:25 PM
05/15/24 08:25 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
Absolutely. Good idea, Pete.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread