No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182509
07/27/24 02:32 AM
07/27/24 02:32 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
If you think seat belts are government control I bet you really get peed off because you have to have a license, tags, insurance onthat same vehicle!!! Your scout master might have died because of a seat belt. But millions have been saved because of them

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182518
07/27/24 04:56 AM
07/27/24 04:56 AM
NH
T
trapNH Offline
trapper
trapNH  Offline
trapper
T

NH
This is a live free or die state. No helmets on motocycles no seatbelts for anyone over 18. i dont wear them and never have.been driving for 65 years, I dont plan on stating now. How do you know if a person was saved by the belt? Because some goverment offical told you. I ohers want to wear them, tha is fine. dont tell me I have to.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182520
07/27/24 05:11 AM
07/27/24 05:11 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I dont know about other places but here there are more unsolved murders than solved. Many many many more unsolved burglaries and thefts. Its my opinion those ought to be priority's. I never wear a seat belt. I dont like it rubbing my neck. If thats what I die from no one needs to feel guilt over it. Its my choice.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182538
07/27/24 06:32 AM
07/27/24 06:32 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Wearing a seatbelt should not be government mandated. It should be a choice. I agree that it is law simply to generate revenue.

I also think that if you choose not to wear one you are unaware of how much that choice increases your chances of being injured or killed in an auto accident. Either that or you just don't give a crap.

My wife never wore one. Said the same thing as Danny, it irritated her neck.

Two young girls rear-ended her while she was stopped in traffic at an intersection a couple of years ago. She broke the windshield with her head in the lower corner of the passenger side. It's weird how the forces involved can toss your body around like a rag doll.

It was just dumb luck that she didn't break her neck.

If she'd have been wearing her seat belt she would have been uninjured.

Eh...wot?

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182540
07/27/24 06:43 AM
07/27/24 06:43 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Last time I was stopped the cop asked if I knew why. I was tempted to ask, "No, don't you?"

He ask for license and registration. I pointed out that my wallet was right next to my clearly visible handgun sticking out of the open flap of my briefcase on the passenger seat. He says kind of irritably, "Just get it."

While I'm reaching for my wallet he steps forward to look at my windshield and mutters, "I thought I saw a three." Then he mutters, "We're good" and walks back to his car. I asked, "Are we done?" He yells over his shoulder, "Yeah."

He thought I was out of inspection. I should've had a 5 sticker as it was good until May and I did. He was looking at my weight class sticker (3) and thought it was my inspection sticker.

Eh...wot?

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182547
07/27/24 06:56 AM
07/27/24 06:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have encountered very few rude cops. Only had one flat out lie. When it happens though my politeness goes out the window.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182566
07/27/24 07:29 AM
07/27/24 07:29 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt is more evidence that most cops are just revenuers. I have a friend that is a NYS Trooper, he said his superiors state there are no monthly quotas on writing tickets, but he gets reprimanded regularly for not writing enough tickets. He always replies, “I thought there were no quotas ?”

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182567
07/27/24 07:33 AM
07/27/24 07:33 AM
SE Pennsylvania
P
Pafoxman Offline
trapper
Pafoxman  Offline
trapper
P

SE Pennsylvania
[quote=Providence Farm][Linked Image]

and drove off without the seat belt on.

Wow.... that sure showed em what a bad a-- you are. How brave.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182572
07/27/24 07:46 AM
07/27/24 07:46 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
You would think with all the unsolved crimes. the city county state governments, would not be telling LE their job is to provide an income . The evidence is out there. Sometimes seatbelts reduce injury sometimes they make it worse. I am unaware of any POV's with the type of harness race cars have. A seat belt only has a chance of protecting the wearer. Not other motorists or passengers. Seat belt laws are another example of over reach whose only purpose is to generate revenue.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182582
07/27/24 08:04 AM
07/27/24 08:04 AM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Washington
Had one tell me that seat belts save lives and severe injuries the police and first responders don't have to contend with . Informed officer if the blood guts and gore are that tramatic find a different job maybe as a grocery checker

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182583
07/27/24 08:06 AM
07/27/24 08:06 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
No pafoxman I'm no tough guy. You're just trying to project your own feelings. Im Just one of many tired of pretending the government is not out of control and noncompliance is how it starts. But in this case I was at a long light and took my seat belt off to get my phone out of my pocket to connect my blue toot ear buds so I could talk to my wife hands free and the light changed I was first in the line so took off without putting the seat belt back on.

Think your a tough guy or a cowed pud. Our founders went to war with the most powerful county in the worldover less than 10% tax. Yet adding all our taxes and fees up and you will find nearly 50% taxing. Income, sales, property, license plates, permits and fees. A government that won't control its spending and continues to pass unconstitutional law after law the Supreme Court knocks down then that gets ignored or another bs law passed that takes years to get to the top court.

Some like to bow down and be controlled, that leads to a bad place. I believe in personal freedom and responsibility. Others can't handle it.

We were born into the greatest republic the world has known. Those paying attention can see its crumbling.

For all the seat belts save life's guys. Often they do. I'm pre sure they have saved me more than one as well as my wife from ejection when she was 17. She had bark impeded in her head from the tree her car hit while it was rolling. I never claimed they don't I did point out they can also kill you and have a person example of just that.
Neither case has anything to do with its a bs law to make money and give another excuse to pull people over to miss for other things. If I die because I didn't have my sear belt on that's on me and harmed no one else. Unlike say drinking and driving that puts everyone around them in danger.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182584
07/27/24 08:09 AM
07/27/24 08:09 AM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Last time I got pulled over at 330am after work for a license plates light being out( fishing and he admitted it) I was asked if I had any guns in the truck. Again my response was unexpected and the cops reaction showed it.

I just responded matter of fact with absolutely it's southern Indiana doesn't everybody and if not they should. He asked what I had and the location asked me to get out of the truck and stand behind it tell he ran my info. Another 25 Min wast of time. I did replace the two burnt out bulbs a few days after that.

I got some good advice from an old man who liked his booze once, never give the cops an excuse to stop you. always keep all your lights working.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182592
07/27/24 08:15 AM
07/27/24 08:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Give it to him PF. Tell Paxman he is prolly in debt and that you can buy more pallets of ammo than he can! Tell him you wear 5:11 underwear and that cops can just sense that they don't measure up and it makes them all nervous! whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182608
07/27/24 08:26 AM
07/27/24 08:26 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

My vehicles are tagged as farm trucks so I am legally exempt from wearing a seat belt. I agree that the government has no business dictating helmets, seat belts, etc.

However, I wear a seat belt because I don't want to die or be seriously injured in a bad accident.

PF--you should do the same for your family.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182611
07/27/24 08:42 AM
07/27/24 08:42 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Oh you done it now BC. Offerin good advice to the advice givin czar? LOL I tried to implore him into investing in his family's safety and got about 36 paragraphs of how he is basically the best firearms safety instructor his kids could ever get. To me, it is obvious he is the only one they will ever get and I think its sad.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182630
07/27/24 09:16 AM
07/27/24 09:16 AM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
For every person who died as a result of wearing a seat belt in an accident, there’s many more alive because it saved their life.

I started wearing one many years ago, after a hands on vehicle extraction class at EMT / Paramedic seminar. You got a millisecond by millisecond description of what happens to your body once it starts its trip through the windshield….snapped femurs, broken ribs, ruptured abdomen, broken neck and skull. You can’t deny physics….objects in motion will stay in motion ( Newton’s First Law of Motion ). Everyone in the vehicle who’s not restrained becomes a projectile….you could be killed by the guy in the back seat who hits you as he flys forward.

Folks may say it’s their choice…but every nursing home has folks that made that choice, and because brain injuries or paralysis, they now are dependents of Medicaid who will be responsible for their care for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 07/27/24 09:20 AM.
Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182635
07/27/24 09:21 AM
07/27/24 09:21 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
The problem is the rest of us pay higher insurance rates to pay for the extensive injuries that you 'rebels' incur when not wearing your seatbelts. If it truly didnt cost me a dime when you split your melon open in a car accident, I would care less what you did. But if you think it doesnt cause the rest of us money out of pocket, you are very naive.

Re: State income generation [Re: Bigbrownie] #8182639
07/27/24 09:28 AM
07/27/24 09:28 AM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
For every person who died as a result of wearing a seat belt in an accident, there’s many more alive because it saved their life.

I started wearing one many years ago, after a hands on vehicle extraction class at EMT / Paramedic seminar. You got a millisecond by millisecond description of what happens to your body once it starts its trip through the windshield….snapped femurs, broken ribs, ruptured abdomen, broken neck and skull. You can’t deny physics….objects in motion will stay in motion ( Newton’s First Law of Motion ). Everyone in the vehicle who’s not restrained becomes a projectile….you could be killed by the guy in the back seat who hits you as he flys forward.

Folks may say it’s their choice…but every nursing home has folks that made that choice, and because brain injuries or paralysis, they now are dependents of Medicaid who will be responsible for their care for the rest of their lives.

Good post. And, in my dream world of personal liberty (where I would still choose to wear a seat belt) there would be no Medicaid, welfare or disability checks. Zero.

People would make better choices if they actually had to be responsible for them. Or, they wouldn't and they get what they get.

Re: State income generation [Re: Squash] #8182640
07/27/24 09:29 AM
07/27/24 09:29 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Squash
Pulling you over for not wearing a seatbelt is more evidence that most cops are just revenuers. I have a friend that is a NYS Trooper, he said his superiors state there are no monthly quotas on writing tickets, but he gets reprimanded regularly for not writing enough tickets. He always replies, “I thought there were no quotas ?”

Departments don't have quotas. But if all the other officers are writing 40 speeding tickets a month, and you're only writing 5 speeding tickets a month, the brass will have a problem with that.

Re: State income generation [Re: Providence Farm] #8182648
07/27/24 09:49 AM
07/27/24 09:49 AM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
I always wear mine. I don't want to crush my 11yr old grandson on a side impact crash. Like Bigbrownie stated objects in motion will stay in motion.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread