Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Subtle smells #8243196
10/23/24 06:36 PM
10/23/24 06:36 PM
Piscataquis County, ME
M
Mainelogger Offline OP
trapper
Mainelogger  Offline OP
trapper
M

Piscataquis County, ME
Hello, I am taking the very first leap into making lure for personal use. I am working on a predator food lure for marten and fisher. Im trying blend somthing out of what would be a martens natural feed. One of the ingredients I am using is a cold pressed hazelnut oil because it is the closest commercially available nut oil similar to beech nut. The smell is veeeerrrrryyyyy faint like an unsalted shelled nut. I personally cannot pick it out of my formula at all when I give it a sniff test. Would the veteran lure maker add more? Try somthing like a hazelnut extract? Or leave it as is because animals noses and 100x times that of humans. I think my question really doesn't have a "right answer" just looking for some imput from someone with experience. Thank you.

Re: Subtle smells [Re: Mainelogger] #8243262
10/23/24 07:29 PM
10/23/24 07:29 PM
Texas
M
Mrs Langley Offline
trapper
Mrs Langley  Offline
trapper
M

Texas
Following. I always thought it was almond or vanilla extract

"P.S. God is on our side"
February 24, 1836
Re: Subtle smells [Re: Mainelogger] #8243631
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
trapper
Yes sir  Online Content
trapper
Y

Marion Kansas
I have no experience with fisher or Martin, just coyotes, so take this for what it's worth.
In general subtle works fine if they are really attracted to that ingredient.

Re: Subtle smells [Re: Mainelogger] #8243922
Yesterday at 02:18 PM
Yesterday at 02:18 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
If you want a noobs opinion, I like a very loud lure for marten (fisher are attracted to my marten lures also, but we can't trap them so I try to avoid them). If I can't smell it when I am twenty feet from the set it isn't loud enough for me. On the other hand subtle odors are often what makes a canine take that final step you need them to take, a big chunk of bait does that for my marten and the lure is just to get them in the vicinity to find the bait, but if you are attempting to use the lure to get them clear into the trap subtle may work well for that. I have had virtually no success on marten without bait, but my experience in that is limited to when I ran out of bait on the line and attempted using lures (or raspberry jam) until I managed to get back with bait on the next check or two.

Re: Subtle smells [Re: bearcat2] #8244033
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Piscataquis County, ME
M
Mainelogger Offline OP
trapper
Mainelogger  Offline OP
trapper
M

Piscataquis County, ME
I've had success with fruit and anise smelling lures for both marten and fisher. My thought process in the whole formulation was to come up with somthing with a meat, nut, and berry smell. But the nut smell isn't sticking out to me.

Re: Subtle smells [Re: Mainelogger] #8244368
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I mixed equal parts of aged ground otter gland, ground castor, and glycerin. Right before I left for marten trapping I would add fresh skunk quill. Baited with whatever was available when I got there. Chunks of beaver, jack rabbit, or prairie dog. Worked better than gusto.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91