Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Targeting badger #8244026
Yesterday at 06:27 PM
Yesterday at 06:27 PM
Craigmont, Idaho
M
marty weatherup Offline OP
trapper
marty weatherup  Offline OP
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
I’ve trapped a lot of badger over the years but cannot say I’ve ever deliberately targeted them. One of my landowners seems to be over run with them. I’m coyote trapping so I know I’ll catch some incidentally. Lots of fresh digs every time I’m out.

Any thoughts on deliberately targeting badger. I’d like to help this landowner out.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: marty weatherup] #8244034
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Online content
trapper
backroadsarcher  Online Content
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Good post, I hope someone with experience chimes in. I also have caught a few but only in canine sets.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: marty weatherup] #8244282
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Can't help Marty but Dave Hastings has a new Badger Book out now...might want o check it out...Christmas is coming up.
I have only caught maybe 10 all accidental....coyote sets.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: marty weatherup] #8244344
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
If you're 100% certain they are down the hole and need them gone, drowning them out of it works great.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Targeting badger [Re: bucksnbears] #8244357
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Craigmont, Idaho
M
trapper
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
If you're 100% certain they are down the hole and need them gone, drowning them out of it works great.

Pretty hard to get that much water to where most of these holes are. No way to carry that much on my four wheeler and I’d have to have a mile of hose to reach some of them. I’ve tried a few times to fill holes with a garden hose on badgers in backyards. Never had any success.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: MChewk] #8244363
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Craigmont, Idaho
M
trapper
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
Originally Posted by MChewk
Can't help Marty but Dave Hastings has a new Badger Book out now...might want o check it out...Christmas is coming up.
I have only caught maybe 10 all accidental....coyote sets.

I just ordered the badger book.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: marty weatherup] #8244395
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I caught 14 last year, but all in canine sets. Have never targeted them on purpose. I did average $41.00 on them, so thinking I need to go after them.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: marty weatherup] #8244549
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
Kansas
S
Smoky Hill Offline
trapper
Smoky Hill  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
If you find fresh digs, set every hole you can find. If you want to be able to catch coyotes that come by, a #2 or #3 foothold will work. If you just want to catch the badgers, a 220 over the hole works well. Many times you need to excavate the hole a little to make sure the trap will close after its pinned down. Badgers don't seem trap shy to anything that I can tell. I've caught them in foothold, bodygrips, snares and have heard of people catching them in cages. If you have fresh sign, also make some dirt holes in the area with skunky bait/lure. They seem to move around a lot but will usually come back to check out holes they have previously dug. In cold weather, they den up for long periods of time.

Re: Targeting badger [Re: LDW] #8244702
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Craigmont, Idaho
M
trapper
trapper
M

Craigmont, Idaho
Originally Posted by LDW
I caught 14 last year, but all in canine sets. Have never targeted them on purpose. I did average $41.00 on them, so thinking I need to go after them.

I was in Alaska for 20 years. Last time I put up badger they were skinned open. Is that still what the buyers want? Or are they wanting them cased.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91