No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Gut pile coyote attractant #6346465
10/13/18 09:12 AM
10/13/18 09:12 AM
Near state college, PA, God Bl...
trapre Offline OP
trapper
trapre  Offline OP
trapper

So we've been having trouble with coyotes this year. Not our family personally but the dairy farmer across the creek about 200 yards away from our house has had a couple calves taken out by them. They have asked us to try and get rid of them either by hunting or trapping and I'd like to do that for them.

My question is(I know the laws regarding bait) Will a gut pile attract more yotes to the area? Or If I hunt it often enough or trap will it take the population down?

Thanks,
Trapre

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6346551
10/13/18 11:45 AM
10/13/18 11:45 AM
Kentucky
K
Kyt Offline
trapper
Kyt  Offline
trapper
K

Kentucky
I would think both--it will attract coyotes and, depending on how much and how well you hunt and trap, reduce the population. At some point hunting and trapping will reach a balance point with the population. Either you wipe them out temporarily, or a lesser number of wised up coyotes become very wary of traps and bait there. That will help by making them reluctant to hang around there--temporarily.

I suspect the calf killers are the dominant pair that have that farm staked out as their territory. If you get them, it will be a while before the problem arises again. Not all coyotes kill livestock. But after one dominant pair or experienced calf killer leaves, another will sooner or later replace them around cattle farms.

It is more work and problem to provide newborn calves with a coyote--safe compound until they are better able to fend for themselves, but that is the best solution. Not as much fun though...

Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: Kyt] #6346623
10/13/18 01:40 PM
10/13/18 01:40 PM
trapre Offline OP
trapper
trapre  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kyt
I would think both--it will attract coyotes and, depending on how much and how well you hunt and trap, reduce the population. At some point hunting and trapping will reach a balance point with the population. Either you wipe them out temporarily, or a lesser number of wised up coyotes become very wary of traps and bait there. That will help by making them reluctant to hang around there--temporarily.

I suspect the calf killers are the dominant pair that have that farm staked out as their territory. If you get them, it will be a while before the problem arises again. Not all coyotes kill livestock. But after one dominant pair or experienced calf killer leaves, another will sooner or later replace them around cattle farms.

It is more work and problem to provide newborn calves with a coyote--safe compound until they are better able to fend for themselves, but that is the best solution. Not as much fun though...
That sounds like a very knowledgeable answer! I have to talk over the gut pile idea with the farmer yet. I just wanted to see if it might work to even get rid of the killers.

"To not read the news is to be uninformed. To read the news is to be misinformed" -Mark Twain
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6346629
10/13/18 01:49 PM
10/13/18 01:49 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
It may bring in eagles. Our land is in a spot where I never imagined I'd see an eagle, yet 1 day at the end of season last year I walked up on a gut pile from a deer from my hunting party, and an eagle flew off it. And that was in the woods too.

Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6346725
10/13/18 06:14 PM
10/13/18 06:14 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
See if the farmer has a pit that he throws any dead livestock into. That would be a natural attractant and all you would have to do is add to it. Also check your state laws regarding exposed bait.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6346750
10/13/18 06:52 PM
10/13/18 06:52 PM
trapre Offline OP
trapper
trapre  Offline OP
trapper

He buries his dead animals like a respectable farmer Helping keep rabies and other diseases down. Bait cannot be seen from air, that's basically the only rule in Pa regarding hunting or trapping over bait.

Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6347026
10/14/18 06:46 AM
10/14/18 06:46 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted By: trapre
He buries his dead animals like a respectable farmer Helping keep rabies and other diseases down. Bait cannot be seen from air, that's basically the only rule in Pa regarding hunting or trapping over bait.

You'd be surprised how far a coyote will dig down for something that's buried. I'd personally go check out where he's buried them in the past. Set the trails coming to it as far out as your state law dictates. I knew of a pig farmer that had a "compost pile" or a pile he'd bury his pigs. They'd dig down and carry off a full hog every night no matter how deep he buried it.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: WadeRyan] #6347188
10/14/18 11:13 AM
10/14/18 11:13 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted By: WadeRyan
Originally Posted By: trapre

You'd be surprised how far a coyote will dig down for something that's buried. I'd personally go check out where he's buried them in the past. Set the trails coming to it as far out as your state law dictates. I knew of a pig farmer that had a "compost pile" or a pile he'd bury his pigs. They'd dig down and carry off a full hog every night no matter how deep he buried it.

Same here. Local farmer buried a cow in early spring and the coyotes have been digging on it all summer, almost as fast as he can cover it back up! He said in the past they have worked sites like that for well over a year so hope to catch a few off of it this fall. Sites like this are like money in the bank!

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6347443
10/14/18 05:50 PM
10/14/18 05:50 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
The coyotes are already coming there. Figure out how or where. They are checking the place. Tracks and scat will tell how often. The smell of cows in a lot IS the attractant. Spend your time on getting your traps or call's ready to use. Set and call the approaches. That simple.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6347447
10/14/18 05:54 PM
10/14/18 05:54 PM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
Will a gut pile attract more yotes to the area? Kill the resident yotes others will come. Guaranteed. may take a week or two before they fill back in.

Or If I hunt it often enough or trap will it take the population down? Yes. More will come because they can smell cow lots for miles upon miles.

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition.
Re: Gut pile coyote attractant [Re: trapre] #6347543
10/14/18 07:51 PM
10/14/18 07:51 PM
Penna.
J
JKS Offline
trapper
JKS  Offline
trapper
J

Penna.
Yes more will come eventually. Here in PA I’ve noticed that bears are attracted to deer gut piles as much or more than the coyotes. Just sayin.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread