No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Why are we not proactive? #8128909
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Online content OP
trapper
Oakey  Online Content OP
trapper
O

Wisconsin
The anti trappers , anti hunters and the pro wolf lovers are very vocal yet they are a small group of very active radicals run by people who get filthy rich off of donations sent in by the brainwashed who succumb to their propaganda. Why dosnt are side do the same only armed with the truth. I’m planning on writing a letter to the Rocky Mountain elk foundation and the national trappers association suggesting raising funds for a national billboard campaign. Imagine a huge billboard with 3/4ths of it a mange killed coyote or wolf with slogan natural death is cruel and 1/4th of it a woman in a beautiful fur coat with slogan wildlife management is humane. Other slogans may be better. How about a huge billboard with the colt nursing on mare and colt has big chunk out of hind quarter from wolf ,with slogan wolves are cruel and picture of mass calf slaughter on one side and huge snarling wolf head on other with slogan , and they ate none of them. And many other like ideas. Arizona banned trapping on public land by a lie. First year the antis referendum failed to pass so the next year they took a house cat broke its leg shoved the bone out put it in large double long spring and put it in ever paper on display in every major population area in Arizona and the referendum passed and leg hold traps were banned. They win with a lie and we do nothing aggressive. I’ve run this buy some on our side who just scoffed at the idea. That’s pure apathy. Apathy kills. We need to wake up and get active and aggressive. If the hunting and trapping communities combined efforts and raised the money for a simple add campaign we could turn the tide. The national trappers State organizations and Rocky Mountain elk foundation could be the front runners. Either we wake up or we will eventually loose. A proper fur is beautiful campaign could bring fur back. Fact is A very small vocal group of liers have had much success at ending what we love. And so far we have basically done nothing to change public perception. Some might wonder why the Elk foundation would join. Because the wolf lovers won’t quit. If they win and get what they want elk hunting will eventually disappear. Wolves are sanitizers if left unmanaged. We’re I live we’ve already lost the white tail life style and it’s rapidly spreading and getting worse. Will we ever get aggressive and smart to counter the unrelenting anti wakos?

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8128957
12 hours ago
12 hours ago
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I think the money would be better spent to hire a lawyer and sue the USFWS to get wolves removed from the ESL.

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8128966
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
I agree with you Oakey. South Dakota has a few pro trapping bill boards up that are simple and to the point. I was always told the if you say something long enough and loud enough, eventually people will believe it. Most trappers tend to chose to stay in the background and not say much but your right about speaking up. There have been some internal issues within the NTA recently that have caused a few good people to back away from them, something that we as a group can not afford. (My only hope is that those fellow trappers have joined up with another group of like minded people.) It's common knowledge that 3% of the membership does 90% of the work. Now I don't care what organization you are a member of but I have to ask what percentage of that do I fall into? Most sportsmen can't agree amongst themselves causing a rift that can destroy a good organization. A simple solution to that would be to set aside out differences and work together on a common cause. The anti's know this and over the years have learned to use it to their advantage with great success! Until we as a group can all set aside our petty differences and focus on the big problems, we will continue to be our own worst enemies. Don't like how something is being handled then get involved. You are right Oakey and like your enthusiasm!

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8128984
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
250 million urban americans versus 50 thousand trappers.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129016
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
The best defense is a strong offense! Truer words were never spoken. You can't win a war if you are always retreating, trying to cover your behinds as you go, to hold onto what you already had. Trappers need a new rally cry and a national media message and strategy to the masses. Something that's put out there that the general public can't help but see.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129030
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Because by nature we are not aggressive people. Generally outdoorsfolk are conservative by nature and a key part of that is just going about your business and not bothering others, in short we just want to be left alone and stay out of other's business.

While the other side is at it's very core progressively seeking to change the world.

That has to change in more ways than just the outdoors. I wonder, and have been for decades, what it's going to take to finally pee off enough of us to start the war.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: warrior] #8129032
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by warrior
Because by nature we are not aggressive people. Generally outdoorsfolk are conservative by nature and a key part of that is just going about your business and not bothering others, in short we just want to be left alone and stay out of other's business.

While the other side is at it's very core progressively seeking to change the world.

That has to change in more ways than just the outdoors. I wonder, and have been for decades, what it's going to take to finally pee off enough of us to start the war.

Truth^^^^^

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129035
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
as to the why

we enjoy hunting , fishing , trapping and putting our time , money and energy into doing these things.

the Antis hobby is protest, anger and destruction. they really don't seem to have other things to do with their time and energy.

it just isn't in our nature to want to defend ourselves or spend time, money and energy defending what we do all the time.

we could definitely do more to promote the positives of trapping and put the truth out.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: tlguy] #8129036
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by tlguy
I think the money would be better spent to hire a lawyer and sue the USFWS to get wolves removed from the ESL.

Already done!!! FAILED!!! EVERY TIME!!!

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129037
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Most people's values are instilled by mid teens. You want to change the culture you better reach them before that. Biill boards aren't going to reach pre-teens. I don't like the emotional approach of seeing harmed animal, I like the logical approach of why it's responsible and ethical to harvest and manage wildlife populations much better. What we are up against is the liberals are so entrenched in every institution especially where kids are involved that it's extremely hard to reach them in any meaningful numbers.

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8129060
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
as to the why

we enjoy hunting , fishing , trapping and putting our time , money and energy into doing these things.

the Antis hobby is protest, anger and destruction. they really don't seem to have other things to do with their time and energy.

it just isn't in our nature to want to defend ourselves or spend time, money and energy defending what we do all the time.

we could definitely do more to promote the positives of trapping and put the truth out.

This is true. Basically we want left the heck alone!

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Yes sir] #8129061
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Online content OP
trapper
Oakey  Online Content OP
trapper
O

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Most people's values are instilled by mid teens. You want to change the culture you better reach them before that. Biill boards aren't going to reach pre-teens. I don't like the emotional approach of seeing harmed animal, I like the logical approach of why it's responsible and ethical to harvest and manage wildlife populations much better. What we are up against is the liberals are so entrenched in every institution especially where kids are involved that it's extremely hard to reach them in any meaningful numbers.

Don’t be so sure about not reaching the next generation with the truth. As far as harmed animals if you live in the wolf mess we do it’s common. A cattle man recently had 27 calves savaged in a wolf joy killing spree. Many were still alive and the media that was called to witness the carnage refused to film the rancher finishing off the maimed. The wolves ate nothing. There is nothing gained by keeping this a secret. It needs to be seen and the only chance it ever will be is grass roots you and me getting off our duffs and doing something. All it would take is a small group that can manage the campaign and hire the work to carry it out and the rest of us donating to the cause. And why not show the world a coyote that just succumbed to 6 months of torture from mange because of over population?

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: elsmasho82] #8129067
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Online content
trapper
CTRAPS  Online Content
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by elsmasho82
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
as to the why

This is true. Basically we want left the heck alone!

And...that is exactly what has happened to us. We have been left alone to basically fend for ourselves in some instances. So, we have gotten what we asked for.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129068
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
There is a large anti-hunting and trapping wolf billboard along interstate 15 here in Idaho Falls. Why not place a pro-hunting and trapping wolf billboard right next to it?

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129080
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
NW PA
W
washxc Offline
trapper
washxc  Offline
trapper
W

NW PA
[Linked Image]

I'm with you Oakley.

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129090
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Oakey
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Don’t be so sure about not reaching the next generation with the truth. As far as harmed animals if you live in the wolf mess we do it’s common. A cattle man recently had 27 calves savaged in a wolf joy killing spree. Many were still alive and the media that was called to witness the carnage refused to film the rancher finishing off the maimed. The wolves ate nothing. There is nothing gained by keeping this a secret. It needs to be seen and the only chance it ever will be is grass roots you and me getting off our duffs and doing something. All it would take is a small group that can manage the campaign and hire the work to carry it out and the rest of us donating to the cause. And why not show the world a coyote that just succumbed to 6 months of torture from mange because of over population?

People know other animals kill other animals even the antis. The root problem is people thinking it's wrong for people to kill animals. You can treat the symptoms or you can treat the sickness.
First step to solving a problem is identifying the root problem
Look at past actions, the antis and liberals would rather spent millions of our tax money trying to treat mange in wild coyotes than let traps manage them because of the root problem

Last edited by Yes sir; 6 hours ago.
Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129096
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
NW PA
W
washxc Offline
trapper
washxc  Offline
trapper
W

NW PA
Yes Sir, I think you're on to something. How do you turn the tables to make people realize that their existence in life kills animals? Their house used to be a field, their car, their food, their everything, it all comes at the expense of something else. I don't like the extreme anti's tactics because it's not in my nature to be extreme. But put a picture of a nature scene on one side and a suburban house on the other with a mangled road kill out front and a tag line like, "taking an animals home without being willing to manage wildlife is murder". Anthropomorphism, just like disneyfication, but flipped around. I think you could appeal to the same people with a picture of an asian sweat shop and a tagline like, "your clothes were made in a sweat shop by children and shipped with fossil fuels around the globe" "fur is sustainable, biodegradable, and made in the USA". I know, cheeky, but people with no connection to their existence need a wake up call.

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: washxc] #8129284
8 minutes ago
8 minutes ago
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Online content OP
trapper
Oakey  Online Content OP
trapper
O

Wisconsin
You don’t need to change the wakos model minds, you never will. Our being proactive can change the tide by opening enough eyes to make a difference. Do nothing and we get what we deserve

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: washxc] #8129289
1 minute ago
1 minute ago
Wisconsin
O
Oakey Online content OP
trapper
Oakey  Online Content OP
trapper
O

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by washxc
[Linked Image]

I'm with you Oakley.

Now that’s a good billboard makes me want to go buy a new parka. A national unrelenting billboard campaign would change the tide. Continued apathy will bring no good for our cause

Re: Why are we not proactive? [Re: Oakey] #8129290
19 seconds ago
19 seconds ago
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Online content
trapper
CTRAPS  Online Content
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by Oakey
You don’t need to change the wakos model minds, you never will. Our being proactive can change the tide by opening enough eyes to make a difference. Do nothing and we get what we deserve

I think you are correct. It may also take money and support from others who believe in your point of view or way of life. Sometimes, getting trappers (at least some of them) to stick together can be like herding cats. But, doing nothing means giving up. And giving up is giving in.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread