No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Maple Tree Tapping Time [Re: Craig C] #7202324
03/02/21 08:28 PM
03/02/21 08:28 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
In regards to the ro systems. My set up will yield 12-14% with a starting percentage of 1.8. If I am getting behind I can run it faster at a lower finished percentage. It takes about 7 hours for me to reduce 50 gallons of sap to 7 gallons of finished ro.

Here is a link to the site that I used to build my ro system.

https://sites.google.com/view/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/parts-list-for-ro

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Maple Tree Tapping Time [Re: dinorocks] #7202462
03/02/21 10:26 PM
03/02/21 10:26 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by dinorocks
I tapped my 60 sugar maples last week and boiled for the first time this season yesterday. Didn’t collect as much as I expected. The day prior to boiling, I ran my 160 gallons of 2% sap through my RO bucket system and ended up with 80 gallons of 4%. My RO bucket advertises 10 gph but I did much better. With my flat pan and warming vessel setup, I can evaporate 10 gph. I used1/3 cord of wood (ash) and when I complete my finish boil today, I should have a tad over 3 gallons of syrup. I typically like to boil twice the volume to make it worth while cleaning all my equipment but I was anxious. Below are a few Picts of my setup. I gave up trying to orientate photos...sorry.

15 degrees today with the next warmup (sap flow) beginning on Monday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I still got some of those old cow milker buckets from the farm.

Last edited by upstateNY; 03/02/21 10:26 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Maple Tree Tapping Time [Re: Craig C] #7202520
03/02/21 11:44 PM
03/02/21 11:44 PM
Taylor county, Wisconsin
T
Twisted metal Offline
trapper
Twisted metal  Offline
trapper
T

Taylor county, Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

Life member NRA
Re: Maple Tree Tapping Time [Re: Providence Farm] #7202753
03/03/21 09:15 AM
03/03/21 09:15 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Did you weld steel in for your pants to sit on or just sit them over the hole?

I cut the barrel so the pans just fit in on long side edges. Then bent the metal down on barrel short side of pan. So the pan is setting on the lip I bent back into the barrel..So yes really just sitting over hole I cut..Does that description make sense? The doors on the barrels are just the pieces I cut out. Sheet metal screws holding small hings where cut out came from.. I really don't close doors much. I run the blower in the bung hole on bottom below the door or even right in the door..
I did screw some metal I cut out back along the edge of the big pan. That was more about the amount of smoke coming up along side the pan, thean holding it. Had some fine white ash coming up there falling into the pan. My set up is not air tight around the pans so smoke and small bit soot does come up around them. But most draws up the stacks and I try to set up so wind is not back over pans.
The only thing I welded was the stands to hold the barrels. Made it from pipe and stuff had in my scrap pile. Like said only use them barrels stoves 3-4 days a year to cook sap. The rest the year they sit along side the small shed in left of the photo. I saw this set up several years ago when I did syrup for the first time using LP. Wanted to play around like I do with a lot of things. Use my wood burn up some of my brush and older wood piles. Just use LP to finish cooking. The only thing I bought was the pans at restaurant auction. Barrels I got were new but given to me along with 3 nice stainless bucket. Rest the iron and stuff I scrounge out my stuff.
Just Remembered I did buy the stack boot I cut in back the barrel..Originally had the old blue type pipe I scrounged from some where. That rusted away sitting around second year so I did buy the pipe in pcture.

[Linked Image]

Mac

Last edited by Macthediver; 03/03/21 09:20 AM.

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread