No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8207476
09/01/24 09:17 AM
09/01/24 09:17 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I believe you can hunt truly wild bison with a guide in Canada without a draw. You would have to look into it more but I believe its in yukon territory

I have a friend that did that a while back and he said it was the hardest coldest hunt he had ever been on and that’s something from a guy who has hunted Alaska, Africa and IDK where else but it’s extensive so take his word for it

There is a common perception of Buffalo hunting as just stand in one spot and shooting till you can’t any more but there is a very good book written by one of the old Buffalo hunters that tells of how it was really like and while some hunts were like that most were carefully made stalks to rifle range then they would select a cow and guy shoot her so that she would bleed and bellow and enrage the Buffalo nearby and they would attack her and not pay attention to anything but that bellowing bleeding cow

Personal I really want to go on the hunt in Canada, from what I have heard that herd is growing at a prodigious rate and if your a Canadian you can take as many as you want and those animals are spooky as all get out so not so easy to get close to

If your not Canadian it’s very restrictive and not cheap

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8207478
09/01/24 09:25 AM
09/01/24 09:25 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Sam Fadala
Seem to recall it was Henry Mtns, Utah
.54 RB to brainpan

[Linked Image]

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8207479
09/01/24 09:26 AM
09/01/24 09:26 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Some of the reservations offer Buffalo hunts I think our Custer State park offerers trophy and nontrophy hunts but that’s a draw thing in the State Park.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: jbyrd63] #8207481
09/01/24 09:29 AM
09/01/24 09:29 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
If you need the meat call a local Amish butcher shop buy a beef. Then ask a farmer if you don’t have access to a couple round bales of hay. Get him to set 2 round bales out in his field. Get a set of cow hors and put on it. Paint it dark brown. Get to field at day break. Check wind direction. Belly crawl across field. If you have a tanned hide put it on your head and zip tie it around your neck. Check wind again. Any hide will do. If no hide grey colored rug will do in a pinch. When getting within range of your weapon take it out.
But if you want to relive the first hunts of early American natives find a sharp stick. Check wind. Army crawl slowly closer. Check wind. When you see the beasts eyes jump on top of it and put the stick into its shoulder. Driving it with all your strength. Aim for lungs.
Have medical personnel on speed dial. Take pics. Thank the farmer. Go home cook steak from beef. Eat drink a beer. Spend money saved on something for your wife

Or,

You could acquire a piece of ground, work it up, plant a food plot.
Put up cameras so.you know what is there, and when it's coming by.
Know the age class of each and every buck, manage them like cattle.
Then, once you pattern the one you want, climb up a tree like some squirrel and wait...

True wilderness hunting there!

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8207511
09/01/24 10:39 AM
09/01/24 10:39 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Don't give up applying for permits for free-range.

I applied for nearly 40 years here in Alaska with no luck. But in 2006, I won a raffle for a free buffalo hunt on the Crow Reservation in Montana. I shot a nice young bull there... and just a couple months later was drawn for a free-range bison permit here in Alaska!

I ate nothing but bison meat for over a year, which is not a bad deal!

(Want the full story? Contact me and buy a copy of my book!) Pete

[Linked Image]

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8207515
09/01/24 10:45 AM
09/01/24 10:45 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I just watched a segment of the Meat Eater and he was hunting buffalo In Mexico. It looked lie a pretty tough hunt.

Hey Pete my son In law draw a tag this year.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: DaveP] #8207642
09/01/24 04:36 PM
09/01/24 04:36 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by DaveP
If you need the meat call a local Amish butcher shop buy a beef. Then ask a farmer if you don’t have access to a couple round bales of hay. Get him to set 2 round bales out in his field. Get a set of cow hors and put on it. Paint it dark brown. Get to field at day break. Check wind direction. Belly crawl across field. If you have a tanned hide put it on your head and zip tie it around your neck. Check wind again. Any hide will do. If no hide grey colored rug will do in a pinch. When getting within range of your weapon take it out.
But if you want to relive the first hunts of early American natives find a sharp stick. Check wind. Army crawl slowly closer. Check wind. When you see the beasts eyes jump on top of it and put the stick into its shoulder. Driving it with all your strength. Aim for lungs.
Have medical personnel on speed dial. Take pics. Thank the farmer. Go home cook steak from beef. Eat drink a beer. Spend money saved on something for your wife

Or,

Then, once you pattern the one you want, climb up a tree like some squirrel and wait...

LOL!!!
Exactly let an arrow fly when his head is buried in a pumpkin LOL!!

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8207661
09/01/24 05:00 PM
09/01/24 05:00 PM
ontario, canada
O
old243 Offline
trapper
old243  Offline
trapper
O

ontario, canada
I think the yukon hunt , might be on the highway between White horse and Dawson City. A friend worked as a hydro lineman in that area. He was a resident of yukon.He ate buffalo meat most of the time. old 243

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: The Beav] #8207948
09/02/24 10:10 AM
09/02/24 10:10 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by The Beav
I just watched a segment of the Meat Eater and he was hunting buffalo In Mexico. It looked lie a pretty tough hunt.

Hey Pete my son In law draw a tag this year.

ADFG "took back" a large number of Delta tags this year, after finding a big herd that fell through the ice and drowned back in the Spring. Hope he STILL has his tag (permit!)

Pete

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: DaveP] #8207952
09/02/24 10:14 AM
09/02/24 10:14 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan

Or,

Ain't that the truth!

Last edited by Buck (Zandra); 09/02/24 10:14 AM.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8208000
09/02/24 11:44 AM
09/02/24 11:44 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Haha, Byrd gets " foot in mouth" Disease AGAIN!

There is a place by Mandaree Nd on the rez I believe that has Buffalo hunts.
Brother did it and said he had a ball.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8208051
09/02/24 01:33 PM
09/02/24 01:33 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
South Dakota has numerous Bison hunts opportunities.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: J.Morse] #8208089
09/02/24 04:07 PM
09/02/24 04:07 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by J.Morse
I won't live long enough to draw a tag for a truly wild bison hunt, so am thinking I may do a ranch type hunt........not a High Fence type shoot or a fish in a barrel feed lot deal either. Some places that have these hunts for rancher owned bison are likely as hard of a hunt as a guy could get in 1870. Anyone have a ranch they know of that does this type thing? The prices seem to be all over the place. I am thinking I'd rather have a younger one.......Likely better eating, plus I don't want to deal with a one ton carcass.

Fellow Michigander if you figure this out and can get a better price for multiple hunters let me know. Bison is on my list to hunt. Could also get a couple other hunters into the deal.

Re: Buffalo "hunt" [Re: DaveP] #8208094
09/02/24 04:29 PM
09/02/24 04:29 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky

Or,

Or just drive up and scope them at 70 yards . Pick out the one he wants and shoot it. Google buffalo hunts. Don't look like much sport. But i'm sure some are harder than others. JUst like hunting anything.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread