Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: skinning winch(horizontal) [Re: Kim] #1032834
12/07/08 12:23 PM
12/07/08 12:23 PM
se SD
rags57078 Offline
Humorist
rags57078  Offline
Humorist

se SD
ts some guys make a removable pole that fits on the hitch of their trapping rigs

Off in my own world

Fish on !!!!!!!

47 years in this game of trapping
Re: skinning winch(horizontal) [Re: rags57078] #1032958
12/07/08 01:38 PM
12/07/08 01:38 PM
North Texas
T
TexTrapper Offline
trapper
TexTrapper  Offline
trapper
T

North Texas
Youngtraprs Dad, Hey thanks for posting those pics!! I'm going to build one but I was WAY overthinking the design of it, I like how simple & straightforward yours is...

Tsarevna, the method you mentioned above is how I skin deer... I hang the deer head up & skin the neck down to the shoulders... Then I wrap a small cable around the hide & pull off the rest using an ATV... Works great...

Re: skinning winch(horizontal) [Re: TexTrapper] #1034600
12/08/08 07:23 AM
12/08/08 07:23 AM

Y
Youngtraprs Dad OP
Unregistered
Youngtraprs Dad OP
Unregistered
Y

Tsarevna, I'd think that a come-a-long type winch could be just the ticket for you.

TexTrapper,The toughest part of the whole thing, was finding a way to grab the hide/fur. I didn't think that stock vice-grips would provide enough grip to pull the hide off, without tearing little chunks out of it. We ended up cutting an old wood rasp into 1" sections and welding them to the jaws of the vice-grips, so that the teeth would interlock. Then we replaced the original adjustment screw/bolt(on vice-grips) with an eye-bolt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91