Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat Lure... #162629
04/02/07 08:29 PM
04/02/07 08:29 PM
Southern, Michigan
K
Kevlar of MI Offline OP
trapper
Kevlar of MI  Offline OP
trapper
K

Southern, Michigan

Whats your favorite muskrat lure for Fall and Winter trapping?? Explain how you used it on your set.

Thanks for any info

Kevlar

Running and Gunning at break-neck speeds. Because we would rather crash and burn in a marsh, than live a dull existance on this earth.
Re: Muskrat Lure... [Re: Kevlar of MI] #162716
04/02/07 09:19 PM
04/02/07 09:19 PM
Nebraska
J
Jess Matthews Offline
trapper
Jess Matthews  Offline
trapper
J

Nebraska
carrots work great, so do apples and potatoes.....u punch a inlet into the side of the house at water level and put the carrot back there and set a #1 longspring in front of the indent and the will want to fix it and get caught.......if you have the extra traps set 2 or 3 at a house and you will catch alot that way......this is for fall before the ice comes

Re: Muskrat Lure... [Re: Jess Matthews] #162747
04/02/07 09:39 PM
04/02/07 09:39 PM
Northwest PA
B
Bismuth Boy Offline
trapper
Bismuth Boy  Offline
trapper
B

Northwest PA
Lenon's Muskrat lure is my favorite, followed closely by Hawbaker's. Dip a stick and put it right behind the trap. I also use bait, mainly apples.

Please support Hunt of a Lifetime! http://www.huntofalifetime.org
Re: Muskrat Lure... [Re: Bismuth Boy] #162958
04/03/07 03:43 AM
04/03/07 03:43 AM
North Dakota
NDtrapper Offline
trapper
NDtrapper  Offline
trapper

North Dakota
I use carrots fall and spring. I also used lure before
and stopped using it and never noticed a decrease in my catch. IMHO I think muskrats use their sight more than their sniffer.

Re: Muskrat Lure... [Re: NDtrapper] #162967
04/03/07 04:49 AM
04/03/07 04:49 AM
Southwestern new york
F
finndog Offline
trapper
finndog  Offline
trapper
F

Southwestern new york
I use apples cut into quaters stuck on a small stick and hung up behind a fh trap in the bank. I try to get the rat to reach up for the apple makeing a hind foot catch. The white of the apple brings em in for a look and the smell of a fresh cut apple works to bring em in the rest. Just make sure you put the apple where they can see it. Sometimes I use more than 1 piece at a set. 1 at water level, and 1 behind trap. Beware not to set these in high taviled areas used by ppl. as you mite come back to trap and animal gone. I have caught mink at these sets also!!! \:\) Good luck on the line.

There are no strangers here, Only friends that have yet to meet!!!
Re: Muskrat Lure... [Re: finndog] #162973
04/03/07 06:43 AM
04/03/07 06:43 AM
Columbus, MI -63-
SgtMaj Bob Offline
trapper
SgtMaj Bob  Offline
trapper

Columbus, MI -63-
Kevlar,

Good advice here but, JMTrapper is telling you to "punch an inlet into the side of the house." If I am understanding the DNR laws, you cannont do that in MI. JMT was just trying to be helpful and probably didn't know that about MI.

From the DNR Site:

Fur Harvester Rules

It is illegal to:

Molest or disturb the house, hole, nest, burrow or den of a badger, beaver, mink, muskrat or raccoon, whether occupied or not, or molest or destroy a beaver dam, except under a DNR Wildlife Damage Investigation and Control Permit.

Before you use anyone's set or methods, be sure you're legal in the state you are trapping in!

S/F,

Bob

If someone has done better than you, you settled for less but, it's not their fault.

Semper Fi,

Bob
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91