Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk Essence #181396
04/16/07 10:39 PM
04/16/07 10:39 PM
Bemidji, MN
J
Jacks Offline OP
trapper
Jacks  Offline OP
trapper
J

Bemidji, MN
When collecting Skunk essence, are you soppused to filter out the mustard or leave it in. If you are to remove it, what method do you use (coffe filter)

Re: Skunk Essence [Re: Jacks] #181406
04/16/07 10:47 PM
04/16/07 10:47 PM
North East, MT
Hunt_with_dogs Offline
trapper
Hunt_with_dogs  Offline
trapper

North East, MT
If you do it properly, you shouldn't get much if any "mustard". Make sure you stop extracting the essence once you see the first bit of foam. I havn't been docked at all by having just a little of this foam in my essence, and by all means, the last thing I would do is try and filter pure skunk essence! Just go slow with the syringe each time until that little bit of discoloration in the amber starts to enter it. Also, make sure you don't stab the syringe to deeply each time you insert it, or you will get more impurities. Joel

The world might be headed to Hades, but you don't have too... >>> John 3:16 <<<
Re: Skunk Essence [Re: Hunt_with_dogs] #181417
04/16/07 10:55 PM
04/16/07 10:55 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
It wont hurt the essence nor do I believe any or many dock for leaving it in the mix.Once you have collected all you can it will settle to the bottom. If you want to extract and separate it just syringe out until you come close to the bottom sediment. Some do separate and others dont.

The mustard helps to identify the real deal essence at times. Some guys get slick and cut the essence to extend their profit margin.I get a couple of guys every year that sell me essence that is cut.They dont realize that most lure makers can distinquish this dilution in a product by color, density change or by the stratification of the elements they have cut with after they set a while.

We just dont buy from these guys any longer.The word gets around since many of us pass this on to the others.

Re: Skunk Essence [Re: Bob Jameson] #181596
04/17/07 08:29 AM
04/17/07 08:29 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I'm with Bob, I don't concern myself with a little impurity, it all ends up the same in paste type lure formulation. Also, I only buy musk from a few I can totally trust not to cut or dilute the musk. Its hard enough to produce totally consistent lures year after year without having to worry about whether the musk was diluted. Ace

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91