Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Bruce T] #1882389
03/09/10 09:14 PM
03/09/10 09:14 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
It's a rare breed of man that will pay for pain and enjoy it. crazy grin I would have to say I would be smiling also. I know two coyotes in one day is tough, I can only imagine your hands with all that fur to process.

What is skinning a wolverine and marten like compared to in the lower 48?

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: bowhunter27295] #1882542
03/09/10 09:53 PM
03/09/10 09:53 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
The marten isn't bad at all. Sort of like a mink only cleaner.

The wolverine has to be cut every inch of the way. They don't pull at all. Sorta like skinning 82 otter with a dull rock.

Mean As Nails
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1882622
03/09/10 10:13 PM
03/09/10 10:13 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Day 7

Tuesday February 16th (Fat Tuesday) 2010
Clear, 18 above

Ken keeps throwing beads at me trying to get me to lift my shirt. (lame mardi gras joke)

Morning breakfast ate and dishes done. We decide to head out to the southern line that we had previously snow shoed. I’m excited to get to make a few wolverine sets in the famed “gulo ditch”. Ken says we should probably add a few more marten sets to the three we had originally made. We load the sled lightly anticipating the rough terrain.

Shortly after climbing our homemade snow ramp, we arrive at the first of three marten foothold sets that we’d made while breaking trail. We’re greeted by with a nice marten waiting patiently for us. She’s a feisty, medium sized female. Number eight overall, and the first female we’ve got. I get to try my hand at Ken’s quick dispatch method. I’ll sum it up by saying this…you better be fast, and you better not worry about being bitten, or you’ll have a little buzz saw attached to you before you know it. After a couple of “false starts” I manage to get the young lady to see things my way. It goes without a hitch and I hang her in the fork of a tree to be picked up on the way back. We set a vertical can en-route to the next set. At leaning pole number 2 of the line, the trap was sprung and empty. After closer inspection we had to replace the trap due to slow firing. Hopefully our next trip through we'll have the culprit. We set another vertical can a few yards from this set.

We check the third leaning pole located in “gulo ditch” and it’s empty, we put out a wolverine bucket there and continue on to where we had stopped the snow shoe death march. The going is really rough here and I spend as much time pushing on the back of the sled as I do standing on the runners. Don’t think for a minute that Ken has it made while driving the machine. He’s had me drive enough that I know what a workout it is to be constantly throwing your body from side to side while trying to keep the machine upright and moving forward. I really hope all the hard work will be worth it. Ken points to a blaze mark on a tree. He says that the blazed tree marks one of his old trails that leads down to a creek. He suggests I bring some gear, go down to the creek bank and make a good wolverine set. He’s says he’s going to try to find an easier way to get back out to the tundra. I grab up the trap, bucket, tie-off snare, and Backbreaker, and make way down to the creek looking for a good set site. Soon the sound of the machine fades away and I take a minute to just stand looking at the empty sky. I notice there are no birds chirping, no planes flying over, no trains in the distance, there is nothing. Not so much as a hint of a breeze stirs. I realize I’m listening to the sound of silence. Yes, that’s right, the sound of silence. It’s something that I’ve been told of, but never experienced. Now, as I stand here, I notice there is not a single sound to be heard, except for the hollow ring of silence. It’s not eerie or creepy, it’s indescribably peaceful.

I snap out of my minute of daydreaming and look to find the perfect spot to make a gulo connection. I find what I think looks like an ideal spot, a small ridge near the creek bank, with a stout log propped up enough to allow me to wedge the bucket under it. As I walk over to set it up I see a good sign, a fresh wolverine trail lays about three feet on the other side of the log I’d picked out. That gives me a little confidence! I start making the set and realize that the springs aren’t cocked on the belisle 330. Ooopps. Well I’m not going to walk back out and then wait on Ken to get back, so I figure I’ll use a little T-man knowledge and just set it by hand. It actually works out well and is much easier than I had thought. I finish the set up giving it a healthy dose of Backbreaker, and head back to meet up with Ken. We use the trail he’s made to get across the tundra and stick in one more leaning pole set.

After the bumpy ride out we head back to camp to have a good snack (smoked salmon courtesy of Hupurest) and warm drinks. Then it’s off to prospect on the creek near the Northern line, the one that Ken had been interested in. We decide we may as well just check a few of those sets while we’re in the area. I think Ken wants to see those wolverine snares and the hay set produce just as bad as me. We check the arsenal of gulo sets, as well as the few marten sets, near the area but we haven’t connected. Again, we leave puzzled by the lack of fresh sign, we decide to stay away from the remaining canine and marten sets, we’ll return the following day and check them.

We find a suitable place to get on the creek and take off on our afternoon stroll. Ken’s not sure of the condition of the ice so we leave the machine and go on foot, staying near the bank. He is kind enough to walk in front, but his talk of thin ice still keeps me on edge. After the first ten or twelve times of breaking through the shallow overflow ice, I finally stopped leaping for the nearest tree. The overflow ice was dry underneath and had thick solid ice an inch or so underneath. I tried to think “light”.

We covered over a mile of walking distance, but probably weren’t over a half of a mile from the sled. The creek looked like an oversized snake trail, but at least the snow on top was not so deep as to need snoe shoes. The creek was covered in tracks of all kinds. There were numerous marten tracks, several wolverine tracks, and an uncountable number of otter trails. Several times we even see where the wolverine(s) have used the otter trails like snowplowed roads. As we get near where the creek runs into the river, we reach a confluence of trails. It’s a likely looking place for a wolverine set, and as an added bonus there is a hole in the main creek ice that is obviously being kept open with often use. To me this seems to be an otter producer.

With our reconnaissance mission complete, we mentally set out the line on our way back out to the sled. It looks like we’ve got a decent little prospect line here, and we’re anxious to get back and set it up.

Dinner is moose roast and gravy Part Deuce… even better than the first time.

Alaskan certified...
Taught the traditional Alaskan "bush" life by the legendary white17.
Taught the modern Alaskan "bush" life by Hupurest and Alaskan.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1882640
03/09/10 10:18 PM
03/09/10 10:18 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Man, your living my dream.It only gets better and better.Thanks for sharing.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Bruce T] #1882700
03/09/10 10:37 PM
03/09/10 10:37 PM
Scotland , Pa
J
JimVerdier Offline
trapper
JimVerdier  Offline
trapper
J

Scotland , Pa
Im eating this up. Thank you for posting this and the pics. As good as it gets from my viewpoint

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1882721
03/09/10 10:43 PM
03/09/10 10:43 PM
Southeastern Pennsyltucky
STINGER Offline
trapper
STINGER  Offline
trapper

Southeastern Pennsyltucky
excellent ............ any pics of that set you made with the heavy dose of Backbreaker

bring on that otter

Let's Hunt that stuff can wait

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: JimVerdier] #1882729
03/09/10 10:45 PM
03/09/10 10:45 PM
West Tennessee
PappyD Offline
trapper
PappyD  Offline
trapper

West Tennessee
Better than anything on TV by a long shot! Thanks for taking the time to share this adventure with us, can't wait to read more!

Come November, critters will die!!!
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: STINGER] #1882739
03/09/10 10:48 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
I thought I did, but looking through my pic index I dont see one. I did find a photo that I'll post tomorrow, of the same kind Backbreaker laced set, only it was located on the creek mentioned above.

Alaskan certified...
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1882740
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Thank you all for the compliments.

Alaskan certified...
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Okiekajun] #1882908
03/09/10 11:59 PM
03/09/10 11:59 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
If you ever get the chance, read "The Lure of Little Voices" by Robert Service. It deals with the lure of prospecting but bush trapping in Alaska is about as bad. Reading this is amplifying those "voices" that I hear ALL THE TIME.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: newhouse114] #1882927
03/10/10 12:12 AM
03/10/10 12:12 AM
South East Idaho
K
kody morgan Offline
trapper
kody morgan  Offline
trapper
K

South East Idaho
this should be a book!

2012-2013 Season
Fox-1
Otter-2(limit)
Rats-40 or so
Coon-1
Bobcat-1
Skunk-1
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: newhouse114] #1882963
03/10/10 12:25 AM
03/10/10 12:25 AM
SD, 30 mi S of Nation's Center
scabtrapper Offline
trapper
scabtrapper  Offline
trapper

SD, 30 mi S of Nation's Center
Awesome & neat pics/posts! great stuff!

And I'm hooked!! crazy . . . forget Dirty Jobs . . . Deadliest Catch . . . and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!

I smell a reality show in the making for next year . . . perhaps "Real Housewives of McGrath" or "Survivor - Ken's Cabin"

Okie & Ken - Has the Discovery Channel or the Lifetime network called yet??

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: scabtrapper] #1882987
03/10/10 12:33 AM
03/10/10 12:33 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I did have a guy today trying to pitch me to let him sell trips with me in future years. Wanted To include it on his website where he sells Iditarod race tours to photographers. LOL !

Mean As Nails
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: white17] #1883145
03/10/10 03:32 AM
03/10/10 03:32 AM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
Originally Posted By: white17
... Iditarod race tours ...
That time of year eh? Must be starting to bustle with activity there.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: 3 Fingers] #1883200
03/10/10 07:30 AM
03/10/10 07:30 AM
SE Kansas
T
Trap wild Offline
trapper
Trap wild  Offline
trapper
T

SE Kansas
Wouldn't you know it,they have sold out hunting,now some one's trying to do it to trapping.Bad deal if you ask me,trying to make our great heritage a money maker!

Hold Fast.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Trap wild] #1883231
03/10/10 07:59 AM
03/10/10 07:59 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
White for a chance to trap with you on your trapline in Alaska I'd walk from my home here in Maine to get up there. grin

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Bruce T] #1883266
03/10/10 08:28 AM
03/10/10 08:28 AM
SE Kansas
T
Trap wild Offline
trapper
Trap wild  Offline
trapper
T

SE Kansas
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold Fast.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Bruce T] #1883444
03/10/10 10:55 AM
03/10/10 10:55 AM
Southern Maine
TrapperMe Offline
trapper
TrapperMe  Offline
trapper

Southern Maine
Originally Posted By: Bruce T
White for a chance to trap with you on your trapline in Alaska I'd walk from my home here in Maine to get up there. grin

Maybe we can start a TrapperMan walk-a-thon for you. You know, sponsor each mile.

I'd love to see you walk from Maine to Alaska and record a video diary of your adventure. After reading of your "strolls" in the North Maine Woods, I'm sure you could pull it off.

"if someone did that to my cowboy boots id punch em right in the face." - Barry Leroy
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: TrapperMe] #1883451
03/10/10 11:02 AM
03/10/10 11:02 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: TrapperMe
Originally Posted By: Bruce T

Maybe we can start a TrapperMan walk-a-thon for you. You know, sponsor each mile.

I'd love to see you walk from Maine to Alaska and record a video diary of your adventure. After reading of your "strolls" in the North Maine Woods, I'm sure you could pull it off.

Lol.Great idea.I love it.I'd keep a video and a journal.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure ; Combined [Re: Trap wild] #1883633
03/10/10 12:51 PM
03/10/10 12:51 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Trap wild
Wouldn't you know it,they have sold out hunting,now some one's trying to do it to trapping.Bad deal if you ask me,trying to make our great heritage a money maker!

Trap Wild; due to the fact that you are relatively new to the forum, you are grossly misinformed about the purpose of this trip. ALL monies go directly to a project to survey wolverine populations in parts of Alaska. No one made a dime on anything. In fact, it cost everyone involved, something.

Members of these forums have donated nearly 12000 dollars in cash and others have donated their time, effort, aiplanes, homes, and experience.

Mean As Nails
Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman