Craft Sales Forum

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live

Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum

~Catalog~

Craft Sales Rules

1. All posts made for selling must contain the asking price for the item.
2. It's the sellers responsibility to define clearly how payments are to be made, including shipping costs.
3. Trapperman.com is not responsible for transactions made on this forum.
4. A maximum of ten items per post will be allowed, but anyone can make more than one post.
5. A post may only be brought to the top purposely three times, and will be locked after the third time. Once a post has been locked, it will remain on the forum, but cannot be put back on the forum in the form of a new post for two weeks.

Print Thread
Hop To
Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle #2803853
10/30/11 07:06 PM
10/30/11 07:06 PM
Oregon
TasteLikeChicken Offline OP
trapper
TasteLikeChicken  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
I build Custom MLs for a living. Thanks to Paul’s Craft site I can put them out for your enjoyment and sale.

This is a Tulle de Chasse smoothbore. It is new and unfired. Price for T-man members is $1700.00….these are normally priced at $1900.00 All parts are the finest USA made and carry their respective manufacturers warranty.

History of the Tulle
The Tulle was introduced by the French fur trade in the early1670s. This gun was not traded to the Indians. It was a prized possession and built with far greater quality and care than anything traded to the Indians by either the French or English. It was the weapon of the voyageur, the French fur traders and was also used by Americas 1st special forces….Rodgers Rangers…the forerunner to the US Rangers.
The Tulle has cleaner lines, handles better and is better balanced than the military rifles of the time and anything that was traded to the Indians. Famed for their accuracy, ruggedness and reliability. The Tulle was “the” gun for about a 250 year time span. It became firmly entrenched anywhere the French traded or trapped. Canada and the Mississippi River drainage saw many Tulles.

This gun is built historically accurate with pinned hardware. This gun can shoot in the NMLRA tradegun class and will pass historical muster.
It is a 20 gauge and will shoot both patched round ball and shot (see loading info below). The barrel is a tapered octagon to round and balances very nicely. I polish the barrel interior to gain the most in velocity and easy loading. Barrel length is 38”
Total Weight of this gun is about 7-3/4 pounds

All hardware is iron or steel and finished in my slow rust browning. This is a very tough finish and far outperforms blued steel and hot browning which never looks good.
Here is a closeup of the entry ramrod thimble

The trigger guard is also browned and has ample room for a gloved hand to use. It is inlet for a nice appearance and not simply screwed on (another shortcut taken by some builders).
Here is a closeup of that

I put another picture of the same gun on a different background for color comparison.

The lock’s starting point is an L&R Trade Gun Flintlock. This style of lock was manufactured by both the French and English and was prized for it’s ruggedness and simplicity. It has an unbridled frizzen as did the early locks of the time. This is the historically correct lock for this gun. Then I get to work on it and polish all the interior surfaces, tune all points of contact and finally jewel the interior for speed. These extra steps insure the lock will be the fastest and smoothest operating it can be.

Lock and tang inletting closeup

The trigger is copied from an original Tulle. The geometry is very important for a good trigger pull. Many “trade guns” are famous for a 3 finger pull of about 12 pounds. This gun has a trigger pull of 2 pounds, 8 ounces as measured on a Lyman digital trigger pull scale. As this gun is also used as a shotgun…it is unsafe to make a trigger any lighter. At any rate….for this style of trigger…this is excellent.

The lock is retained by two through the stock bolts. I use the Fancy French Tulle sideplate. This is more difficult to install so often builders simply cut off the fancy “tail” and take the easy way out.

The wood is a nice grade of fiddleback maple and is finished with my special handrubbed linseed formula. This finish is tough, waterproof and can be touched up if needed.

The front sight is a traditional brass “turtle”.
In every gun I make the front sight is left “tall”. This is so you can sight it in to your preference. All will shoot low as I provide a "tall" front sight….so you will file the front sight down to raise the point of impact.
You’ll hear stories of bending barrels etc to get them to shoot to point of aim. Here…I take the more scientific approach and use a laser bore sight to set each front sight to where the barrel shoots.

The stock is graceful and well balanced.
This gun will work equally as well as a shotgun or rifle. The Tulle is my preferred tradegun as the stock has the most heel drop so it fits modern shooters much better than the straighter English stocks.

The buttplate is wide (2”) and smooth so shooting heavy loads is comfortable.

I custom machine the touchholes in all my flintlocks. I use ampco which will outlast steel, stainless steel or other materials. Because of the care taken in making this part and paying close attention to correct pan alignment and internal geometry…these flintlocks will fire as fast as a percussion gun and are extremely reliable. Ignition is virtually instantaneous. These flintlocks perform….rather than the slow and poor ignition you’ve heard about in factory made guns or poorly made flintlocks.

Here’s a video link of my son and I shooting two different Tulles on a trail walk.
Check out the speed and performance! Target in the first two videos is about 65 yards….remember there is only a front sight!

Here's a video of a longer shot. About 135-145 yards. Target is the yellow "banana" clanger.

Recommended load is .600 round ball with .015 vegetable shortening patch
Powder charge range is 60-90 3F .
For shotgun use….equal volume loadings of 65 grains powder 3F and shot is a good starting point.

I include full instructions on cleaning, loads, sight in, flint selection etc with every gun I sell.

If you want any questions answered or would like to see any other pictures on this gun….just let me know.
I ship fully insured by UPS with tracking number and crate all guns in a custom built wooden crate. Shipping is at your expense…the wooden crate is on me. Figure about 50 dollars for shipping.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
http://www.tlclures.co.nr/
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2804609
10/31/11 03:23 AM
10/31/11 03:23 AM
pennsylvania-union county
F
furgotten Offline
trapper
furgotten  Offline
trapper
F

pennsylvania-union county
Very nicely built rifle,although I already have a plenty of my own. I would personally reccomend to anybody that has the slightest interest in muzzleloading to take the steps to purchase this fine traditional rifle.The knowledge and workmanship by far exceed the price ask!!

Gone will be those whom have allowed themselves to be disillusioned beyond their primal instincts.
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2804749
10/31/11 09:36 AM
10/31/11 09:36 AM
NY
SnareLine Offline
trapper
SnareLine  Offline
trapper

NY
WOW!

Hiding our humane dispatches doesn't keep the Antis from showing their own gruesome ones. In this 1 sided story, who will the public believe, then?
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2805168
10/31/11 02:42 PM
10/31/11 02:42 PM
Oregon
trapper
trapper

Oregon
Thanks for the compliments.

Had a PM that the video links were not working....I think they are fixed now.

If you try them ...let me know one way or the other....Thanks.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2806263
11/01/11 06:13 AM
11/01/11 06:13 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
TLC that is beautiful work!

Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2807849
11/02/11 01:29 AM
11/02/11 01:29 AM

M
michael_obrien
Unregistered
michael_obrien
Unregistered
M

great rifle honey~ lol in all seriousness, that thing is beautiful!

Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2807980
11/02/11 06:44 AM
11/02/11 06:44 AM
Adirondacks
A
Adirondackman Offline
trapper
Adirondackman  Offline
trapper
A

Adirondacks
What are your leadtimes?

Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2808495
11/02/11 03:24 PM
11/02/11 03:24 PM
Oregon
trapper
trapper

Oregon
That exact gun shown is available now. As are the underhammers.

Lead time will vary greatly depending on how many other customers are ahead of you, what time of year (many orders come in during the BP rondy season), if there are any special things such as an odd caliber, profuse carvings,profuse inlays etc. these all influence delivery time.

Generally, a year at maximum. But I never know what the customer list is going to be until you contact me. I can give you a completion date at that time, based on what the project entails and the customer list. NOTE...I give you an ACCURATE completion time. I do not tell you 3 months and string it out for 20 months. I also won't bump customers....no "cuts" in line.

Shortest time..... I try to have a few "samples", so customers can see what they will be ordering and see my work. These are essentially my only completed "on hand inventory".

So.....let's say you want a Tulle....it's yours tomorrow if I have one on hand that meets your wants. If I build you the same gun.....might be as early as a few months if I happen to be in the middle of making a sample.....but could take a year depending on the guns ahead of you.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2831597
11/15/11 03:32 PM
11/15/11 03:32 PM
Oregon
trapper
trapper

Oregon
If it helps you out...we can work out no interest payments.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2907708
12/25/11 12:29 PM
12/25/11 12:29 PM
NW Pennsylvania & North Maine
Coulter Offline
trapper
Coulter  Offline
trapper

NW Pennsylvania & North Maine
Ron...absolutely beautiful gun! And guys the pictures don't do it justice, its even better in person. My wife surprised me with this beauty for Christmas and I cant wait to get her out on the range. If you guys have any interest in muzzleloading or historically accurate firearms do yourself a favor and pick up a nice custom made gun from Ron. You won't be disappointed, his work is meticulous.

Ron - I'll shoot you over a PM later on when the Christmas Dust settles.

Thank you sir and Merry Christmas!
Steve

Re: Custom Muzzleloader...20g-62 cal Tulle [Re: TasteLikeChicken] #2907979
12/25/11 03:35 PM
12/25/11 03:35 PM
Oregon
trapper
trapper

Oregon
HO, HO, HO....Steve. It was some work pulling it off.....but your wife and I got it shipped there for Christmas and managed to keep it a secret!

Once you shoot it...you'll REALLY love it! They all look "pretty"....but, they shoot even better!

So...guys if you've been drooling over this particular gun...you're out of luck. But...I can get you on my waiting list and make one for you if you so desire.

Sack Punch Beaver Lure
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Paul Dobbins