General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your traps? [Re: KYBOY] #321583
09/03/07 07:27 PM
09/03/07 07:27 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
I have many of my traps center swiveled, but the weight adds up fast. When I set on a longer line, I use lighter traps (not baseplated), really short chains and shorter rebar for cross staking. On shorter lines, I like how tough baseplating makes the traps. Some of my base plates are offset. I do not have enough experience to comment on which is most effective.

Thanks,
Brian

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your traps? [Re: Jtrapper] #321745
09/03/07 08:56 PM
09/03/07 08:56 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
 Originally Posted By: Jtrapper
. I didn't base plate any of my traps because its what the mass's are doing, i started doing it after every trap i owned ended up warped up!

Jtrapper I agree with this statement, this is the reason I have base plated almost all of mine, I think I have one right now that is bent out of shape and needs fixed, once I started doing this I haven't had another one bent.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your traps? [Re: Cattrax] #321814
09/03/07 09:34 PM
09/03/07 09:34 PM
Metro-Detroit, Michigan
B
Beaverhunter2 Offline
trapper
Beaverhunter2  Offline
trapper
B

Metro-Detroit, Michigan
Wow! This is a great thread! Slim gave me the same explanation he gave you, Jackie. I put some "Off-center swivelled" baseplates on after we spoke. I didn't cut the baseplates off the ones I'd previously center-swivelled, though.

I'm certainly no big predator trapper, but when the experienced guys like Slim, Paul, and Jackie speak- I listen.

I will say one thing, however. You can sure tell the Rebs from the Yankees on this thread! You don't see any Northern Boys complaining about D-rings biting into their legs. Heck, I can't even FEEL the D-ring through long underwear, jeans, and Lacrosse Outriggers! LOL

Great discussion and a lot of great info, guys! Thanks for sharing!

John

Life Member- National Trappers Association and
Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association
Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your traps? [Re: Beaverhunter2] #321892
09/03/07 10:10 PM
09/03/07 10:10 PM
Dearborn County, IN
J
Jack Turner Offline
trapper
Jack Turner  Offline
trapper
J

Dearborn County, IN
If Charlie said it, I believe it. That's the end of it.
Seriously, in 17 years of trapping, I have no reason to disagree with Charlie Dobbins or any other trapper that supports center-swiveling. I don't mind the extra few bucks to modify my traps. I sure ain't making things worse. So to heck with it. I'll stick with center-swiveling.

Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your trap [Re: Billfrank] #321940
09/03/07 10:44 PM
09/03/07 10:44 PM
Creek Texas
B
Billfrank Offline
trapper
Billfrank  Offline
trapper
B

Creek Texas
 Originally Posted By: Billfrank
I run alot of traps on the JC Conner style baseplate with the end hook-up D-ring. Works well for me.The yotes foot pull toward the lever where the tension is the tightest..

I run ADC lines all year long, I cant take chances on every set I make. The last thing I want is to be wasting extra days tryin to catch that last yote on a job. I started using offset D ring baseplates years ago, no one ever told me that this was better way of doin it.It was just a matter of lookin at a trap and thinking "what could I do to make my chances better" at holdin on to the yote. After trapping east of the Mississippi with other USDA guys a learned I was not the only one who had been "thinkin".

[Linked Image]
Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your trap [Re: ] #322163
09/04/07 08:12 AM
09/04/07 08:12 AM
Someplace Indiana
timrose Offline
trapper
timrose  Offline
trapper

Someplace Indiana
For the record all my traps are base plated and center swiveled and mostly shock springed.

BUT, if I didn't base plate stock traps, I would consider useing the hookup on the side of the trap.

A standard trap that is not base plated, BUT center swiveled is no good when dealing with a big "Eastern Alfa Coyote"......the coyote will pull straight up on the trap causeing the base to bend in the middle and then jaws pop out (anyone hear ever have that happen?)No coyote just a trap that had jaws poped out....this mainly only happens to non-baseplated traps.

If the trap chain is attacted to the side (of a non-base plated trap) the chance of poping out the jaws is decreased because the yote doesn't have the chance to pull in the middle of the base causeing it to flex and pop the jaws.

Re: Why you do NOT want to center swivel your trap [Re: timrose] #322405
09/04/07 12:26 PM
09/04/07 12:26 PM
PA
cndgmn Offline
"Alphabet"
cndgmn  Offline
"Alphabet"

PA
 Quote:
When trap first fires, the animals react and jerk away or jump away-----center swiveled trap, the pull is straight out of the trap, but off set attatchment, the foot pulls towards opposite corner of the trap, instead of out of the trap.

What if the foot is already at the opposite corner of the trap? I think the end result might be very similar.

Actually,I think side swiveling is the way to go on a stock 1.75 or #2.I believe you'll get fewer popped jaws.If I was going with a fully modified trap I'd go with the center swiveling because it's easier on greys.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91