Cooking on the Wild Side

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Cracklins #2405152
01/27/11 09:19 PM
01/27/11 09:19 PM
louisiana
K
Kirk Offline OP
trapper
Kirk  Offline OP
trapper
K

louisiana
Iv have several people on here ask me how to make them and they are really simple to make. You will need a heavy pot (I use a black iron one) a outdoor fish type of cooker (this is an outdoor project I strongly recomend against trying it indoors)
go to your butcher and get some pork belly meat with the skin still on. Now cut the meat in pieces approximately 1 1/2 inches. Put enough oil in the pot to cover the bottom of the pot. when the oil gets hot put the cracklin meat in ( I dont recomend filling the pot over half full as you will get a large amount of oil durring the cooking process) and stir now you will need to stir fairly often until the lard is rendered out of the meat then stir as needed. When the cracklins reach the dunness you like take them out of the pot and lay them out on paper towels or brown paper bags which ever you prefer let the cracklins sit out of the pot for a minute or two and them put them back into the greese (this will crisp up the skin) and cook for a couple minutes and then remove and season to taste

Re: Cracklins [Re: Kirk] #3785051
05/01/13 10:09 AM
05/01/13 10:09 AM
Michigan
R
rick54 Offline
trapper
rick54  Offline
trapper
R

Michigan
Kirk, I'd like to give this a try as I come by pork bellies pretty easy. My only question would be what to do with the remaining grease that has accumulated due to the cooking process? Wouldn't the grease carry the flavor of the cracklins also? I would think adding a little SB to this grease to prevent it becoming rancid would make a good bait when mixed with the cracklins and shoved down a hole?

Just in case this isn't a way to go when dealing with the left over grease, how do you handle your cracklins for bait once they're done cooking?

Re: Cracklins [Re: Kirk] #3812834
05/23/13 05:18 PM
05/23/13 05:18 PM
Georgia
D
D-man Offline
trapper
D-man  Offline
trapper
D

Georgia
We don't use oil when we make it. You can put a little water in the bottom which helps the bottom pieces from sticking while they are heating up. My wife and I do it on the stovetop with no problems. You want to use a low to low medium heat. It's more like a marathon than a sprint. As it warms up the water will cook off, it won't splatter and pop like putting something moist in hot oil. The fat will warm up and the lard will start rendering out and then just cook them until their done. It ain't good for you but they sure are good. If you do them right and put a little salt on them and pop one in your mouth you sure want use them for bait. Mmmmmmmm!!! I take the lard pour into jars and freeze. If it is from a free ranging feral pig the lard will not solidify at room temp in fact it likely will still be running albeit thicker if left in the fridge. FYI the lard from feral pigs at least will be a clear light yellow when just cooked but will turn lily white in the freezer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread