ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? #4014004
09/22/13 06:42 PM
09/22/13 06:42 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I had just finished a post that the majority of you would have enjoyed reading. I had just reread it to make sure there were no errors when I realized that everyone in the world could read what I had just posted.

It then struck me that the only hero in that post was our company. I then deleted the entire post and opted for this one. I guess I recalled what a teacher taught me long ago. The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do ANYTHING.

P.S. Those posts can probably still be read at a later date in WCT. ( If I remember to send them )

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4014859
09/23/13 10:30 AM
09/23/13 10:30 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I guess I am as guilty as one can be.I am a hard core fur trapper still after many years. It is that interest and skill that enabled me to make the gradual cross over into the ADC and Pest Control industries. Being a lure making and trapper at the same time presented challenges. Then adding full time ADC work just became a good fit. Now I do it all and it is a full life commitment.But it has been a good one.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4014920
09/23/13 11:31 AM
09/23/13 11:31 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Why would anyone care about Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? What's the problem?

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015088
09/23/13 02:23 PM
09/23/13 02:23 PM
Western Montana
A
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper
ADCofWMt  Offline
trapper
A

Western Montana
well, I have had issues with them coming in after I have scheduled a job and just telling the land owner they will do it for free or for a lot less than I can afford to. Had that happen two years ago. Then I got a call back when he forgot his traps there and went hunting. Left a Coon in one for two days and she couldn't get ahold of him. Now keep in mind that at that time I was basically a glorified fur trapper myself, just getting into this side of things. But was at least attempting to be as professional about it as possible.
Also fur trappers aren't going to be as knowledgeable of laws or PC methods.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart.
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015096
09/23/13 02:30 PM
09/23/13 02:30 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Or you can have a situation like here in Georgia. Where every tom, dick and harry has a FREE permit and the fur trappers association calls the shots and opposes anything that makes sense.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015131
09/23/13 03:01 PM
09/23/13 03:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I am a fur trapper and my permanent job was a full time paid nuisance control agent.
Some of the most dedicated,professional,fur trappers around here are the first to get called to handle a nuisance furbearer complaint because they know how to completely eradicate a problem furbearer.
As far as the billy exterminator guys,I have seen those"so called professionals"educate more furbearers than they catch.
Our trappers councils run nuisance furbearer control programs that bring in a lot of money to both the trappers whose line the complaint is on as well as bring in thousands of dollars every year to the councils to run the program and pay for the co-ordinator,with lots left over to go back to trapper education and furbearer management.
On top of all this our provincial Federation provides 2 million liability insurance to all members when conducting nuisance furbearer control work in the province.
The area of concern right now that we will work on is to open urban areas to furbearer management programs in season,and to give members of the federation first right of refusal to conduct nuisance furbearer work within urban areas(within their fur harvesting area) when they have taken appropriate training.
The Federation has the mandate to manage furbearers in Ontario,be it nuisance or otherwise.
We will not sit back and watch a valuable fur resource be relegated to Junk status.

Last edited by Boco; 09/23/13 03:06 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015138
09/23/13 03:05 PM
09/23/13 03:05 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I see. I look at it in terms of demographics. Some folks want top notch service, liability insurance, workers comp and are willing to pay for the protection. Other folks have nothing to protect...cant afford an ADC professional...or don't place much value on trapping the critter. I don't see any harm in fur trappers doing ADC work. However, I am not sure that folks that hire uninsured people ADC/Fur Trappers understand the risk to their personal assets. For this reason, their ought to be higher standards if you are doing work for someone.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: ] #4015198
09/23/13 04:07 PM
09/23/13 04:07 PM
Ashe co. mountains n.c
trapmando Offline
trapper
trapmando  Offline
trapper

Ashe co. mountains n.c
Wow, what ignorance. first noone starts out doing ADC work and is so called top notch. There is a learning curve in every aspect of work. You may think you were superior, in your own mind. Now who are you to say who can have an ADC business. Last I heard this is a free enterprise country. Granted there is a few on here that are Top of our field of work. You have the years and years of experience. As for customers, it is up to them to look into each and every contractors license and insurances and any and all qualifications. We all are trappers of some sort. Lets all get along.

A trap is only a trap if you dont know about it. If you know about it, its a challenge
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015243
09/23/13 04:32 PM
09/23/13 04:32 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I think you misunderstand. I was describing trappers that get an adc license to fur trap out of season. I assumed that they do not carry proper insurance to protect a customer. Why would a fur trapper need it???. I do not have a problem with free enterprise. A person could provide top notch service on day one....as they may hire an experienced fur trapper or adc tech right out of the gate.

My post was not to belittle anyone.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015266
09/23/13 04:46 PM
09/23/13 04:46 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, the problem was that I had some very unflattering and fortunately somewhat comical things happen lately with customers and what I am guessing are fur trappers trying to make an extra buck.

Being from an entirely fur trapping background myself, I just couldn't see hanging dirty laundry in front of people like HSUS that monitor these sites for the sole purpose of stealing money from unsuspecting donors using lies and half-truths.

I thought that this post would just whither away and die so I'm happy to see a kind of worthwhile discussion come of it. As a fur trapper, I would not have been real happy with other fur trappers taking over some of my best trapping spots so perhaps some of the fur trappers can relate to taking away some ADC guy's livelihood.

P.S. The truth ( although I hate to admit it ) is that the fur trapper can learn a lot more from us, than we can from them. ( Well think about it. The only guys on here are successful. That means they figured out how to catch that last one, not leave it for seed )

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015282
09/23/13 04:54 PM
09/23/13 04:54 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Fur trappers are sure a sensitive bunch. But, I understand why it is so. Let me put it this way....

Fur trappers are like an artist. ADC guys are like a painting company. A person may decide to hire an artist to paint their home because they has a creative talent that was developed over many years. However, the artist doesn't carry workers compensation insurance because he normally works for himself...painting masterpieces. If he get's hurt on a ladder....who pays for his medical? The customer. If he spills a can of paint on the floor - oops! Who pays for that? Well, I suppose he cleans it up the best he can. But, aside from the risk, that painted mural on the wall can't be beat!

A painting business is (or should be) set up with a different mindset. Generally, they are set up with liability insurance to cover injuries. They carry liability insurance to cover damages.

That said, an artist can certainly own a painting business. The difference between an artist and how a painting company approach providing a service is different. One is not better than the other. However, the way that they "think" or "operate" is different.

Anyway, think about it some.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: ] #4015306
09/23/13 05:07 PM
09/23/13 05:07 PM
Ashe co. mountains n.c
trapmando Offline
trapper
trapmando  Offline
trapper

Ashe co. mountains n.c
Dave, Iwwas not directing my rant to you at all. Thank you for your rendition of the Painter and Artist. But you are correct with it. I just recieved from 1 of the timber companies that I do work for requesting a new contract and if I agree they will need anothey year of insurance coverage and workers comp paper work. This being only my second year in business, it is very much a learning precess. Like I said....No one starts out the being the best...Thank you Dave...Wait, this is only my forth year trapping.

A trap is only a trap if you dont know about it. If you know about it, its a challenge
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4015325
09/23/13 05:27 PM
09/23/13 05:27 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I trapped my first critter 35 years ago for dinner with my Dad. 8 years in business myself.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: trapmando] #4015422
09/23/13 06:42 PM
09/23/13 06:42 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: trapmando
Wow, what ignorance. first noone starts out doing ADC work and is so called top notch. There is a learning curve in every aspect of work. You may think you were superior, in your own mind. Now who are you to say who can have an ADC business. Last I heard this is a free enterprise country. Granted there is a few on here that are Top of our field of work. You have the years and years of experience. As for customers, it is up to them to look into each and every contractors license and insurances and any and all qualifications. We all are trappers of some sort. Lets all get along.

you said it straight i agree some guys sit back and complain that only they should be considerd as adc men to them all i can say is up yours when you divide the ranks expect the opposition to conquer same goes for ws and private guys but what do i know im just a dam govment trapper one of the guys who you all claim hides under your bed or some such nonsense
sorry bs strikes a nerve with me sometimes

Last edited by TravC; 09/23/13 06:45 PM.

There i said it....
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4016204
09/24/13 12:53 AM
09/24/13 12:53 AM
Tulsa ok
R
Richard w Offline
trapper
Richard w  Offline
trapper
R

Tulsa ok
I have noticed a lot of US (ADC) and THEM (fur trappers) type of posts on this forum.
I for one am both.

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4016234
09/24/13 01:44 AM
09/24/13 01:44 AM
Western Montana
A
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper
ADCofWMt  Offline
trapper
A

Western Montana
I am still somewhat hesitant to call myself a true ADC as I am still in the process of getting established. I am definitely a fur trapper in season.

I do have a bit of an issue in the are that it seems almost all fur trappers claim to be ADC trappers to. Fur trapping techniques may or may not apply.
I was doing a skunk job a couple months ago. Got to talking to the neighbor. She had had a "guy" that did some "Summer ADC" as he described it take some Woodchucks
out from under her shed. He put Conibears in all the holes. Yes he wiped out the Groundhogs. But he also violated several laws and is extremely lucky he didn't kill one
of the cats that also live under her house and shed.

Not sure where the line is. I guess I just wish they would be a little more careful with the name ADC. Much as some "Trappers" should be called poachers and not Trapper.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart.
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4016647
09/24/13 10:29 AM
09/24/13 10:29 AM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
I am a fur trapper, always have been always will. Like my faith in Christ I will never apoligize for it

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4016928
09/24/13 02:25 PM
09/24/13 02:25 PM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
I am a fur trapper that has evolved into an ADC guy. I still trap for fur when the season comes around. I still love getting out into the woods and honing my skills. The only difference is that I get paid to catch some of my fur. I guarantee I can make more money doing ADC. Most of us started as fur trappers and we must not forget our roots.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4017075
09/24/13 03:58 PM
09/24/13 03:58 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Guys, my biggest beef is not with fur trapping, trappers or tradition. Here in Georgia us NWCOs are lumped in as fur trappers, commercial trapping license, and offered a FREE NWCO permit, after passing a simple questionaire, so basically. NWCO in Georgia is a fur trapper with special privileges.
As a result any effort to change requirements; strengthening the testing, training in non furbearers, insurance and customer service standards; must go through the same process as amending trapping seasons or tools. Of course one can imagine how the straight fur trappers react to that.
Because we NWCOs are bound at the hip to fur trapping here we will never be allowed to stand alone as an independent industry. All the while the PCOs are acquiring the permit so that when the break is finally made it will have to follow the Florida model.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fur Trappers Masquerading As ADC Guys? [Re: warrior] #4017154
09/24/13 04:26 PM
09/24/13 04:26 PM
Ashe co. mountains n.c
trapmando Offline
trapper
trapmando  Offline
trapper

Ashe co. mountains n.c
I thought there would be more opposition to this crap ^ If you pass a little test isn't going to make you a better ADC man or company, or make you superior customer service. It will not help you catch a trap shy coyote or beaver either. All the companies that we work for or have contracts with require us tu have liability and workers conp insurance and some require additional insured. Those without will be weeded out and eventually gone. Maybe some are worried about losing business, but if you are that good you won't lose any. The way I look at it is ADC is another avenue of the trapping industry just like for buyers or trap supplies and sales.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread