Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skinning Skunks??? #449854
12/07/07 07:17 PM
12/07/07 07:17 PM
Elsberry, Missouri
Y
young gun Offline OP
trapper
young gun  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Elsberry, Missouri
Does anyone have pictures of skinng skunks. I i catch one thi syear i would like to skin it but im not sure what the best way to do it without getting sprayed.

Life Time member of the Missouri Trappers Association and the NRA
Re: Skinning Skunks??? [Re: young gun] #449884
12/07/07 07:36 PM
12/07/07 07:36 PM
Ohio
H
hidetanner Offline
trapper
hidetanner  Offline
trapper
H

Ohio
Sorry don't have any pics.

Best thing to do is take a needle and take out the essence. That way the risk is minimized. Then skin it like you would a coon.

You can put an old rag over the tail end to catch anything that you didn't get with the needle. You won't get everything.

Save the essence and use it for your lure or sell it to a lure maker.

Do a search and you can find some more info.

Memeber NRA (Lifetime), OSTA, NTA
Re: Skinning Skunks??? [Re: hidetanner] #449912
12/07/07 07:49 PM
12/07/07 07:49 PM
Ut
Yodog Offline
trapper
Yodog  Offline
trapper

Ut
Skin it like a coon, BUT if you don't remove the glands first, be extra careful pulling on it. IMO best way is to completely remove the glands first, then skin. The drawback to removing the essence with a needle first, is now you have two holes in the glands and it WILL STINK!!! First couple I skinned I hated it, but after a few NOT bad. Worth more than most coons after you collect the essence. They flesh easy and if dispatched properly don't stink too bad. I actually like catching the little buggers. The glands are located next to the anus. Be careful and skin around that first until you see the glands, then cut them out.....After that, no worries!!!!!!!! I have nicked the glands ONCE while taking them out and didn't know UNTIL I had them removed and stuck my needle in. A steady stream all over you is alot worse than a fine mist, trust me!!!!!!!

Re: Skinning Skunks??? [Re: Yodog] #450020
12/07/07 09:11 PM
12/07/07 09:11 PM
Lotw MN
G
Grubstake Offline
trapper
Grubstake  Offline
trapper
G

Lotw MN
if you cut the tail bone off and pull it after the skinning is done you may save yourself a squirt in the eye 2.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91