Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
fox skinning question? #493230
01/01/08 12:14 PM
01/01/08 12:14 PM
York County, Pa
howlNmad Offline OP
trapper
howlNmad  Offline OP
trapper

York County, Pa
For you guys and gals that are putting up your fox. In the past I put my fox on wire. This year I am putting them on wood. I am also stripping the ears of the cartlige, so I can pin them forward on the board.I am using a screwdriver to do this. On several of them the whole black ear back did not come off. Is this common? Is there something else I should be doing, and will this hurt the value of my foxes? Thanks, howlNmad

crunch crunch crunch, sniff, snap,--------THUMP!
Re: fox skinning question? [Re: howlNmad] #493864
01/01/08 06:43 PM
01/01/08 06:43 PM

F
foothillstrapper
Unregistered
foothillstrapper
Unregistered
F

You don't have to strip the cartilage off the ears . I have never been docked for leaving the cartilage in. After you get them stretched, take a clothes pin and hold the ears together at the tips. Leave the clothes pin on until just before you sell.

Re: fox skinning question? [Re: ] #493884
01/01/08 06:52 PM
01/01/08 06:52 PM
Wisconsin
Blackdog Offline
trapper
Blackdog  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
No loss of value!!Its the same as big eyeing them! It just makes a better lookin finished product!

Just ask your mommy...
Re: fox skinning question? [Re: Blackdog] #495857
01/02/08 06:46 PM
01/02/08 06:46 PM
York County, Pa
howlNmad Offline OP
trapper
howlNmad  Offline OP
trapper

York County, Pa
Thanks for replying guys. Foolshill, I always left the cartlige in before and never got docked either. I just wanted to try something different. I think the finished pelts with ears pinned forward look sweet. Blackdog, I was thinking there was no loss. Most of the ear backs came off fine. I had two where maybe just the top 1/3 tore and stayed on the carcass. Pinned up they just look like smaller ears. Thanks again, howlNmad

crunch crunch crunch, sniff, snap,--------THUMP!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91