No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692534
11/07/16 10:02 PM
11/07/16 10:02 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Let me first start by saying that I have never been issued a citation by any wardens. That being said, based on the ones I have met, you would have to tape a dollar bill to their forehead for them to have any value at all.

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692617
11/07/16 11:13 PM
11/07/16 11:13 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
My concern, at least here in PA, game wardens either full time or deputies are no longer required to have a present or previous hunting license. I personally know a full time officer and a deputy who never hunted, fished or trapped. A WCO told me in a previous class selection for WCO's, a full time officer candidate was also an anti-hunter and made it to the second interview process. When asked in this second interview why she wanted to be a conservation officer, she said to do her part to get hunting outlawed. Thankfully, they told her she was in the wrong profession and the Game Commission didn't accept the individual. How this person got to the second interview is beyond me.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692712
11/08/16 02:41 AM
11/08/16 02:41 AM
Guilford County, NC
G
g3trappernc Offline
trapper
g3trappernc  Offline
trapper
G

Guilford County, NC
Never had an issue with any of them. Either here or in PA. In fact, the guys I have met here have been really cool, looked over my gear so I knew I was legal, and even written depredation permits.

My holding pen is flat....And made of basswood....
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: bic] #5692855
11/08/16 09:50 AM
11/08/16 09:50 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: bic
Let me first start by saying that I have never been issued a citation by any wardens. That being said, based on the ones I have met, you would have to tape a dollar bill to their forehead for them to have any value at all.

That is quite a statement Bic, why do you say that?

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Nittany Lion] #5692919
11/08/16 11:18 AM
11/08/16 11:18 AM
NV
K
Kelpy Offline
trapper
Kelpy  Offline
trapper
K

NV
Originally Posted By: Nittany Lion

I'm with the poster on this one. I grew up wanting to be a game warden, grew up in a law enforcement family (police, fire) and had a high degree of respect for law enforcement. I did a couple of ride alongs in college with game wardens and after seeing the way they treated people and their ego really turned me off.

Since then I have had several bad experiences with them. Don't trust them and expect lies in court if it comes to that. Watched my father get a BS ticket once and kinda chocked it up as a mistake/misinterpretation of the law. Then I was on the "guilty" end of it a year later and had a similar bad experience. Evidently once you become a hound hunter and trapper it instantly labels you as a scumbag outlaw. . . They are convinced you are guilty and out to nit pick you apart any way they can.

If they give you an answer on a law make sure it's in writing because if not they will lie through their teeth in court. I think the best advice is keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Smile, be polite and don't tell them a DARN thing! It will pay off in the long run. I should have learned in the military that "the truth will NOT set you free".

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692929
11/08/16 11:32 AM
11/08/16 11:32 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^^^^ I couldn't agree more.
I have a Washington State trooper friend who told me that the "Wildlife Police" in Washington are the laughing stock of law enforcement. He absolutely disdains them. They "float" tickets all the time: Floating is writing a ticket that they know there is no justification for. They know that the majority of the people they encounter in the field aren't hardened criminals and generally will just pay a ticket rather than take the time off work to fight it. The real criminals that other law enforcement people deal with get free attorneys, or just don't pay their tickets, or don't show up for court, etc..

When I go to get skins tagged or when I know I will have an encounter with a Washington game warden I carry my GoPro turned on in my pocket in order to have an audio recording. I know of others who do the same thing. It is legal to record a law enforcement person without their knowledge while they are engaged in their line of duty (Ninth Circuit court of Appeals).

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5692936
11/08/16 11:44 AM
11/08/16 11:44 AM
Colorado
B
Bug Rancher Offline
trapper
Bug Rancher  Offline
trapper
B

Colorado
My experience here has always been positive with wardens. Like any other group or profession, there are a few bad apples...in discussion with wardens, I've learned we have a lot in common; they dislike the few bad apples among their ranks just like we don't care for the hunters or trappers who don't follow the regs.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Nittany Lion] #5693269
11/08/16 07:14 PM
11/08/16 07:14 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted By: Nittany Lion

Being condescending and full of themselves while at the same time, lacking common sense and compassion would be where I start my description of most. Like I said, I personally haven't had any legal run-ins with them but know many who have.
Wardens and their interpretations of the many "grey area" rules the PGC have on the books enables their elitist mentality.

It's called Tomorrow
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5693271
11/08/16 07:15 PM
11/08/16 07:15 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
same here Bic.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5693338
11/08/16 08:15 PM
11/08/16 08:15 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Several years ago concerning citations and warnings, the statistics showed that the PA Conservation Officers issued 2/3 warnings and 1/3 citations for all violations for any particular year. During the same years, it was reversed for the PA State Police. They issued 2/3 citations and 1/3 warnings for all the state speeding violations. I guess for all the arrogant wildlife officers they sure gave a lot of warnings and not tickets.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5693351
11/08/16 08:28 PM
11/08/16 08:28 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Grandpa, Maybe more warnings were issued because they knew the "alleged" violations were bogus from the start and the Magistrate would throw them out anyways.

Last edited by bic; 11/08/16 08:44 PM. Reason: Poor Grammar

It's called Tomorrow
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5693546
11/08/16 10:29 PM
11/08/16 10:29 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
I live in kind of an odd area. If it wasn't for the incredible walleye fishing, and the anglers that are attracted to it, we wouldn't need as many COs as we have, and relative to the fishing that goes on, I would say that for that activity we are probably understaffed. As far as the other activities goes, most of the people that come to deer hunt, are from somewhere else and probably need supervision. There are not that many trappers up here, and a few of those need supervision too, but it is not a huge activity here compared to the year around fishing event that goes on.

COs have a job to do like anyone else.

Last edited by trapper les; 11/08/16 10:30 PM. Reason: embarressing gramatical error

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: bic] #5693661
11/08/16 11:30 PM
11/08/16 11:30 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Grandpa, Maybe more warnings were issued because they knew the "alleged" violations were bogus from the start and the Magistrate would throw them out anyways.

It could be or maybe not, I don't know. Many people don't realize, most game laws are summary offenses such as not signing your hunting/fishing license. I believe there are only six or seven violations that are considered misdemeanors and felonies such as shooting or wounding a WCO comes under the PA State Police jurisdiction although WCO's can arrest for the same offence. Game Commission WCO's but not Deputy Game Commission Officers have limited State Police authority. I also believe that PA Fish and Boat Commission WCO's and their deputies have limited police powers.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: huntingmaxima] #5718442
12/02/16 02:00 AM
12/02/16 02:00 AM
Northern Minnesota
S
Slim81 Offline
trapper
Slim81  Offline
trapper
S

Northern Minnesota
Seem like a "one bad apple spoils the barrel situation" If so, and still no citation does the MNDNR have a statue of limitations? Most states do ranging from 6 months to a year on something "petty misdemeanor" like this. Anyone out there know if this exists? Is it ok to get a ticket over a year after?

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5718452
12/02/16 04:02 AM
12/02/16 04:02 AM
Powell TN
S
stan meyers Offline
trapper
stan meyers  Offline
trapper
S

Powell TN
The ones I know are good people.

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5718456
12/02/16 05:12 AM
12/02/16 05:12 AM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
I have only personally known about 3 and each had my back. However I knew them more like friends and I never gave them reason I was in violation. I also never heard them talk or speak being condescending. As for the others who have crossed my path well most were doing their job well IMO and not a one mentioned the $ 50.00 attached to my license.

I guess I have heard of horror stories of those who had bad experiences however.....if you violate, expect to be in trouble and do not bad mouth the one catching or writing you up. If a limit of perch is 50...do not come in with 100 and not expect a ticket if searched. My experience is if I came in with 53 nothing was said. Or do not brag at work about shooting 10 deer under spot light and not expect a visit from the DNR and being arrested.

So, for in Oh, Mi, Pa, Ky, and Ak. I can say it was nice to meet each of you Game Law Enforcement officers. Professional and helpful just like most police I know and or have been searched by...most I can name 1 that was PIA.

( Of course all bribes were off record ) smile

Last edited by On a Call; 12/02/16 05:24 AM. Reason: because I have the power and like to use it. Sort of like some bullies you know...when you have strength you can do what you want. So do you have the power ?? If not for $ 19.95 I can teach you how to use the power that lays within you. Remember $ 19.
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5718490
12/02/16 07:43 AM
12/02/16 07:43 AM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
I have one good one but the lady around here will go through the whole regulation book just to try and find you guilty of something. Last year duck hunting she went through 150 shells to make sure they were steel, then she was questioning whether my plug was the right length and just a bunch of other bullshit.

Rebuilding john deere and international/farmall carburetors
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: 2cylinder] #5718511
12/02/16 08:09 AM
12/02/16 08:09 AM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Originally Posted By: 2cylinder
........ then she was questioning whether my plug was the right length .......

Sounds to me like she was "hitting" on you. Maybe she wanted a Boyfriend and that was one of her "pre-screening" questions. smile

It's called Tomorrow
Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: bic] #5718513
12/02/16 08:12 AM
12/02/16 08:12 AM
SE MN
2cylinder Offline
trapper
2cylinder  Offline
trapper

SE MN
Originally Posted By: 2cylinder
........ then she was questioning whether my plug was the right length .......

Sounds to me like she was "hitting" on you. Maybe she wanted a Boyfriend and that was one of her "pre-screening" questions. smile
Funny. I stay alone all my life before looking at that all my life

Re: How are the game wardens where you live? [Re: Marty] #5718536
12/02/16 08:42 AM
12/02/16 08:42 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Fair. Only have a couple in the field for a large area here. They don't waste time on petty stuff. I try to follow all rules and they let me know when I am not. Usually with a warning. They will stop and try to chat. I tell them unless they want to hop in the truck I need to get moving. They laugh and go on their way.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread