Craft Sales Forum

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live

Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum

~Catalog~

Craft Sales Rules

1. All posts made for selling must contain the asking price for the item.
2. It's the sellers responsibility to define clearly how payments are to be made, including shipping costs.
3. Trapperman.com is not responsible for transactions made on this forum.
4. A maximum of ten items per post will be allowed, but anyone can make more than one post.
5. A post may only be brought to the top purposely three times, and will be locked after the third time. Once a post has been locked, it will remain on the forum, but cannot be put back on the forum in the form of a new post for two weeks.

Print Thread
Hop To
Old Knife Found #6075251
12/05/17 02:32 PM
12/05/17 02:32 PM
Long Island, NY
B
Blackhorse Offline OP
trapper
Blackhorse  Offline OP
trapper
B

Long Island, NY
Hello,

I am new to this web site and I do very much like what I see. I chose this forum in particular because I have corresponded with Mr. Dobbins directly and he is aware of my intentions.
I am helping a friend go through his father's estate. We found an old knife and sheath. The leather is as brittle as a potato chip. The Bowie style knife is rusty but not damaged. The design of the handle and sheath seems to be of the Pacific Northwestern Tribes. It isn't a tribal artifact as the blade is steel. Possibly a trapper's knife.
If anyone can help to identify this knife I will be happy to send or post photos if permitted.
Thank you for your attention,
Horse

Last edited by Blackhorse; 12/06/17 03:32 PM. Reason: add photos
Re: Old Knife Found [Re: Blackhorse] #6136065
01/23/18 11:24 PM
01/23/18 11:24 PM
West Virginia
W
wkimble1 Offline
trapper
wkimble1  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
All I know for sure is that it is a pukko style hunting knife. Looks to be Finnish. Possibly Lahdensuo and co. based upon what can see of the markings. In good condition (a good guess, here), it might be worth around $130?

Re: Old Knife Found [Re: Blackhorse] #6150126
02/06/18 05:58 PM
02/06/18 05:58 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
That is a Pukko style out of Finland in the natives there. They are over 100 dollars new at Smokey Mountain. Respectfully, if this is a Northwest Indian knife by your research, then that is what it is, but while the sheath looks to have an 'elk' on it and is manufactured, I did a photo enhance of the blade and there is lettering on it, an a wavy line under it.
It looks like Mouchaas. Nothing comes up in a search engine. It is just such a beautiful knife that it would be wonderful to know the history of it. I am wondering if the West Germans or Finns produced a knife for the American market about 60 years ago by the rivets, and the blade appears to have blood groove, which most blacksmiths would not have added.
I hope some of that might help and add the photo enhance.

Re: Old Knife Found [Re: star flakes] #6501929
03/26/19 05:31 PM
03/26/19 05:31 PM
Bradford county Pa.
J
JohnnyTrapper Offline
trapper
JohnnyTrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Bradford county Pa.
Ya I see what your saying but in his picture under the blood groove it looks like writing but I can't make it out

Life Member NTA.
Life Member PTA.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Paul Dobbins