No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6121485
01/11/18 01:00 PM
01/11/18 01:00 PM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
.08? Get the check out of here.

Did they use a Stanley tape or a Wal-Mart tape measure?

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Mike C] #6121502
01/11/18 01:11 PM
01/11/18 01:11 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Mike C
Water (and Liquids) for PRACTICAL purposes can not be compressed. BUT, technically, they can be compressed under great pressure, such as at the bottom of the ocean. Basic hydraulics. http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae15.cfm

Does it heat up when it's compressed?

(serious question)

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6121595
01/11/18 02:49 PM
01/11/18 02:49 PM
Ohio
M
Mike C Offline
trapper
Mike C  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
Yes it does produce heat. Think of hydraulic lines and reservoirs on excavation equipment, tractors, log splitters etc. If you are thinking about water temperature at the bottom of the ocean being cold, but producing heat due to compression; the heat produced is far less than the cooling effects at the bottom of the ocean: that being lack of sunlight and thermal inversion being two examples.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Mike C] #6121633
01/11/18 03:35 PM
01/11/18 03:35 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: Mike C
Yes it does produce heat. Think of hydraulic lines and reservoirs on excavation equipment, tractors, log splitters etc. If you are thinking about water temperature at the bottom of the ocean being cold, but producing heat due to compression; the heat produced is far less than the cooling effects at the bottom of the ocean: that being lack of sunlight and thermal inversion being two examples.

Thanks. I knew pressure played a part. Bottled water will remain liquid after freestanding water freezes, at least to a certain temperature... Until you crack the cap. Pretty cool to watch it freeze in front of your eyes after you crack the cap.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6121639
01/11/18 03:46 PM
01/11/18 03:46 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6121697
01/11/18 04:49 PM
01/11/18 04:49 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Simply a made up crisis in search of grant funding.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Kart29] #6121934
01/11/18 08:41 PM
01/11/18 08:41 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted By: Kart29
The article doesn't say that the sinking ocean floor is a problem. It says that the sinking ocean floor has hidden some of the increased volume of liquid water in the oceans. Therefore, they now realize that the increase in liquid water in the ocean is even greater than they originally calculated. The sinking of the ocean floor is a good thing, but the increased water that is causing the floor to sink also causes other problems for coastal areas.

Come on guys. Nearly all reputable scientists agree that the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. It's indisputable scientific fact that this is caused by man-made greenhouse gasses. Pick up any peer reviewed scientific study and it will recognize this proven FACT. The irony is this - some of you guys reject and refuse to believe in science, yet you sit here using modern scientific technology to communicate on the internet using an electronic device. If you refuse to believe in modern science knows to be truth, you should turn off your computer and go back to living in the stone age.

You sir, are either a master of sarcastic wit, or someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Scientific Method.
I need to know which is true so that I will know whether to bow to you for your masterful yarn spinning skills, or offer to take up a collection to send you to a reputable University to take Science 101.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6122039
01/11/18 09:55 PM
01/11/18 09:55 PM
Warren co Mo
H
hrdtoflw Offline
trapper
hrdtoflw  Offline
trapper
H

Warren co Mo
Whatever is happening now, has happened before. 99 of 100 climate change non believeres have agreed on this, therefore proving it! Lol

If your mind draws a blank, turn off the sound, because ya can't learn a thing if you're doin all the talkin
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: waggler] #6122220
01/12/18 12:06 AM
01/12/18 12:06 AM
Galliano,Louisiana
BudGuidry Offline
trapper
BudGuidry  Offline
trapper

Galliano,Louisiana
Originally Posted By: waggler
^^^^^^^
You mustn't understand astrology very well; the sky is that blue stuff above the air; of course it can fall.

Being you brought up astrology I got a couple questions needing answers
Shouldn't the study of proctology have been called astrology?
So a proctologist should be an astrologist?
A hemoroid an asteroid?
Man I'm so confused

Last edited by BudGuidry; 01/12/18 12:07 AM.
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: 52Carl] #6122381
01/12/18 08:56 AM
01/12/18 08:56 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted By: 52Carl
The article doesn't say that the sinking ocean floor is a problem. It says that the sinking ocean floor has hidden some of the increased volume of liquid water in the oceans. Therefore, they now realize that the increase in liquid water in the ocean is even greater than they originally calculated. The sinking of the ocean floor is a good thing, but the increased water that is causing the floor to sink also causes other problems for coastal areas.

Come on guys. Nearly all reputable scientists agree that the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. It's indisputable scientific fact that this is caused by man-made greenhouse gasses. Pick up any peer reviewed scientific study and it will recognize this proven FACT. The irony is this - some of you guys reject and refuse to believe in science, yet you sit here using modern scientific technology to communicate on the internet using an electronic device. If you refuse to believe in modern science knows to be truth, you should turn off your computer and go back to living in the stone age.

You sir, are either a master of sarcastic wit, or someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the Scientific Method.
I need to know which is true so that I will know whether to bow to you for your masterful yarn spinning skills, or offer to take up a collection to send you to a reputable University to take Science 101.

I'll take that as a compliment. However, a free Science 101 class does sound appealing. As long as I don't have to study sociology or some other nonsense along with it.

Unfortunately, my attempt to stir things up didn't take off very well. Seems that some "believe Science" when it suits their viewpoint of the world but ridicule "Science" when it makes other claims. I find the hypocrisy comical.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Kart29] #6122510
01/12/18 11:49 AM
01/12/18 11:49 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
With increased water instead of ice the oceans will do both, that is compress the softer bottom surfaces due to increased weight and also rise and spread their surface area over more square miles etc. This will also back up all sources flowing water into the oceans. As minimal as it is in inches or fractions of inches the portions of the earth that were covered with ice from the last ice age are still rising as they recover from the compression that a mile or so of ice over them caused that compression. Here in Eastern WI that can be seen along the Lake Michigan shore line. Changing the geography and geology from natural occurring events can take a very long time.

Bryce

Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Ray B] #6122610
01/12/18 01:42 PM
01/12/18 01:42 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
And somebody has to ask, "Do trappers over think things?"

-Goofy-
Re: THE OCEAN FLOOR IS SINKING [Re: Kart29] #6122783
01/12/18 05:23 PM
01/12/18 05:23 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

I'll take that as a compliment. However, a free Science 101 class does sound appealing. As long as I don't have to study sociology or some other nonsense along with it.

Unfortunately, my attempt to stir things up didn't take off very well. Seems that some "believe Science" when it suits their viewpoint of the world but ridicule "Science" when it makes other claims. I find the hypocrisy comical.

Take it as a comliment if you wish, but you missed his point completely. If you had any understanding about Scientific Method you would understand the Science isn't something you have to "believe in". Scientific facts can be proven.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread