No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143644
01/31/18 06:59 PM
01/31/18 06:59 PM
NE Iowa
D
dogdown Offline
trapper
dogdown  Offline
trapper
D

NE Iowa
Back in the late 70s early 80s, a couple of hunters shot and killed a pair in eastern Iowa, when they picked up the dead, the female had a tracking collar on her with an 800 number. After calling the university of Wisconsin, they discovered that the female had been collared in the upper UP. The program had lost funding and no longer was tracking her. She had traveled roughly 270 miles crossing the frozen Mississippi into Iowa where her journey ended. Still have the newspaper article. It was shot on the ex in-laws farm. Talk about a wonderer.

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143674
01/31/18 07:26 PM
01/31/18 07:26 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Funny story and thanks for sharing. Has to be the DUMBEST coyote in the country though get caught by such mediocre trappers , lol.

I doubt that joker was 9 months old if he was 32 lb's! That's about as big as they get in the south from the few ive taken the time to weigh.

I also doubt normal coyotes disperse like that one did, imagine that 100 mile trip was to get as far away from that whole ordeal he went through
in the trap and being handled by 'aliens' as that is what we have to look like to them than it was from just a normal romp to look for a mate.

Course im just a worn out old trapper and don't have a bunch of letter's by my name so take it for what it's worth.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: Jtrapper] #6143784
01/31/18 08:55 PM
01/31/18 08:55 PM
NE North Carolina
V
varmintshooter Offline
trapper
varmintshooter  Offline
trapper
V

NE North Carolina
There has been several satellite studies done. One on Fort Brag in NC had one coyote road killed in Richmond VA. One went to GA. One stayed in 5 sq miles.

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143897
01/31/18 10:14 PM
01/31/18 10:14 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Bur,

Well played sir. Well played. Many of us have killed quite a few coyotes and sometimes along the trapping trail a scenario unfolds and you "go with your gut" and stand firm in your decision.

As far as coyote movement, 100 miles is a ways to be sure but some of the coyotes in these studies are indeed branching out, testament to the fact that since the late 1880's they own much of North America! RJ is actually in GA right now catching more coyotes and putting collars on 'em but I'm not along for this ride as I'm just outside of Austin, TX killing coyotes that are killing Axis Deer and Blackbuck Antelope. Caught a 6 year old male yesterday that was 42 lbs and that is as big as they get here in central TX... today's 4-5 year old female was 31 lbs and now the game is on inside this 355 acre high fence paradise. There are sightings of a lion by several workers so it could get interesting.

So you see, there are countless coyotes need getting and I think the dog you let go has probably played his last get out of jail free card, so next trapper who gets 'em will be the last.

Well played Will.

Mark

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143910
01/31/18 10:27 PM
01/31/18 10:27 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143950
01/31/18 10:51 PM
01/31/18 10:51 PM

J
JOCO1995
Unregistered
JOCO1995
Unregistered
J

Enjoyed the post and storyline, I just wonder was the yote caught on Rusty's bait or marks bait lol, I have tried both with success. I have heard of four yote pups collared in NC. A year later, one was deceased, one was in VA, one in ga,and the last about 3 counties away from the collar site. Interesting stuff for sure.

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143964
01/31/18 11:07 PM
01/31/18 11:07 PM
Northern Minnesota
K
kabguy Offline
trapper
kabguy  Offline
trapper
K

Northern Minnesota
Hey bur; out of curiosity, what type of set did the old boy fall for this time? And for my two cents; I love trapping and killing coyotes like the rest of them, but I think it was cool you let him go too.

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6143991
01/31/18 11:32 PM
01/31/18 11:32 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Interesting on the Mileage it put on. Gives you better insight on why they are Awesome survivors.

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144039
02/01/18 12:29 AM
02/01/18 12:29 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted By: bur
I came across something pretty interesting this past weekend on the trapline and figured I would share it here. This past Saturday morning I caught a male coyote with a GPS tracking collar. At first I thought I had caught one of SCDNR's bounty coyotes good for a lifetime hunting license. But, this had no ear tag and when I checked the collar it was marked University of Georgia, with a phone number to contact. I couldn't reach anyone until Monday. A quick google search showed this was part of a tri state coyote study by the deer laboratory at UGA. You can read more about that program here

http://www.ugadeerresearch.org/tri-state-coyote-research-project/

Here is my catch picture

I emailed back and forth with the directors of the project and they sent me all of the information on the coyote I caught, including the process pictures of when they caught it. When I opened the picture darned if it wasn't Mark June and Rusty Johnson, processing this exact coyote just over 2 years ago.

I usually sell everything live market, but this coyote was missing about half of his lower jaw from some kind of incident. His jaw was completely healed over though, and he appeared to be healthy. My buyer didn't want him due to his jaw, so I decided to do something I usually don't do, I cut the collar off and let him go. I figured if he was lucky enough to have been caught by 2 elite trappers, 1 amatuer, lost a jaw along the way, and was still doing fine, I wasn't going to be the one to end his story. Given the date on the collar, I assumed it was no longer being tracked. If the collar was in date, I would have let him go to aid in the study. Here is the email I got back from Joseph Hinton, who is involved in the project.

"Hey Will,

We caught that coyote a few miles south of Ward, SC on January 10, 2016. I attached a Google Earth file of his collar locations. The capture site was a just south of Mile Bridge Way and east of SR191. I also attached 2 photos of SC37M being processed and released. You will see that he was a healthy coyote pup (~ 9 months) when we caught him. He weighed about 32 lbs. Coyotes are typically born between March and May and, given that he was likely born in April 2015, he’s approaching his 3rd year of life.

His radio-collared malfunctioned 9 months after deployment, so the locations provided begin in January 2016 and lasted through September 2016. He dispersed southeast about 100 miles from his capture location before localizing a few miles east of where you captured him. Since his last locations were in that area from July–September 2016, he’s likely a resident breeder and we failed to capture where he found a mate and established a territory. I suspect that happened after the 2016 hunting season and in the area that you caught him. He likely produced at least one litter in 2017, so you may have caught some of his pups and mate.

The jaw injury occurred after we released him. Given my experience, I think he was shot in the mouth by a hunter. The injury will definitely affect his ability to hunt large prey, but I suspect his diet is largely small mammals, rabbits, and fruit. As long as his carnassials (upper 4th premolar and lower 1st molar) are still present, he’ll able to hunt most of available prey in the area because those are shearing teeth that act like scissors when he bites down. For mammalian prey like rabbits and small fawns, he only needs to pounce on them and get enough of them in his mouth to crush their head or backbone. The canines are more useful for holding down and injuring larger prey like adult and juvenile deer.

I think letting him go was fine, especially given that he has an odd and conspicuous injury. If your trail cameras photograph him or should you pick him up on your trap line again, you’ll definitely know who it is and that he’s a resident animal that’s been around for a while. If you had put him down, he would have been replaced by a healthier coyote with a full set of teeth. Coyotes can live up to 10 years in the wild but typically don’t make it past 4 years. Since he’s in an area that is hunted and trapped, I suspect he has another year or two left. Everyone’s luck eventually runs out, though he seems to have more luck than the average coyote.

Regards,
Joey"

Here is the picture showing his path

This experience really showed me how little I knew about dispersal and how far they will travel to find a mate. Also I think it's pretty cool to say I caught the same coyote that Mark June and Rusty Johnson caught. That's another thing I love about trapping, you never know what will be waiting for you.

Clearly only the best of trappers can catch that yote! Great post, Will! Good to see you!

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144060
02/01/18 01:04 AM
02/01/18 01:04 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Bur,
I agree with you. Sometimes it ain't about the killing. Good job!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144090
02/01/18 02:24 AM
02/01/18 02:24 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Bur, thanks for the story. I'd have let him go too.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144092
02/01/18 02:36 AM
02/01/18 02:36 AM
SC
C
chenocetah Offline
trapper
chenocetah  Offline
trapper
C

SC
I find this very interesting...

Not to hijack Bur's thread by any means, but to date I've made a repeat trapping of 3 of the GPS collared coyotes...Would love to post pics if I could figure it out...If somebody would volunteer I will email or text them.

Bur, my name is Jason Price, if you would contact me I would like to talk to you...I am in Saluda, SC.

I've followed the GPS study done by UGA closely, as I was involved in the original collaring...I have a copy of the complete thesis of the study if anybody is interested in it, Joey Hinton (Author of Bur's return email, prof at UGA) and Jennifer Ward (Who did the study) have give me permission to share it...Mark and Rusty are friends of mine and it's likely I was present at the original capture and collaring of the coyote Bur caught...It's amazing how far some of the coyotes have dispersed, even to other States...Some also stayed local as apparent in my capture of 3 this year so far within 10 miles or so of where the original bunch were collared 2 years ago...Two were males, with one of them being solid black and very unhappy, and one female...All 3 thought to be 4-6 yr olds...Of the original bunch of 30 or so we collared for the South Carolina part, there's not many left living...Can only be just a few, as most the collars batteries are now dead so it's an unknown. ..Mark could chime in with the actual original number, I'm sure he has it, as I can't seem to find it right now...Most of the collar returns have been from hunting incidents...I found one by GPS signal that died of natural causes...Bur's is the first other one I have personally heard about from a repeat trapping...Different contract trappers collared coyotes in 3 states for the study, SC - GA - AL...So there may be other catches out there that I would like to hear about.

Good Job Sir..!!

Jason Price
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144159
02/01/18 08:28 AM
02/01/18 08:28 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Jason,

Good to hear from you brother and as far as numbers, RJ and I caught and collared 37 coyotes in 9 days in SC. God love peach farms! When I arrived in SC, a state I'd never even visited before, I thought I'd found every peach tree on the continent. That trip was a "trip" as the biologists were super to work with but they had grad students AND undergrad students riding with us virtually every day and that made for a BUNCH of people in tow and a BUNCH of human tracks in and around every trap set we constructed.

The picture Will has on this thread that Joey Hinton sent to him of the collared yote has a young undergrad student in the picture (don't recall her name) along with RJ and I and she was sent out to ride with us, like many of the biologists, because we were catching coyotes every day. I don't think Joey typed in the coyote's age correctly if we had a 32# coyote, as it wasn't < 1 year old obviously.

Don't believe you were there JP on that capture, but I swear everybody and their brother was along at some point. I recall a day we had 11 people accompanying us! Eleven! And we're trying to catch wily coyotes! I mentioned to Rusty, who was lead trapper on the project as you know, that we sort of had a circus with us and that it'd be easier for us to catch coyotes QUICKER if we didn't have such a big BLASTED CIRCUS... but in fine RJ style, he just smiled and said, "June, we'll just have to work harder."

I caught 7 black ones on that trip. I think RJ caught 5 also. 12 black out of 37 is quite a few!
Beauties.

MJ

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144162
02/01/18 08:36 AM
02/01/18 08:36 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

As you can see, I'm the tough one.... no gloves laugh

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: kabguy] #6144215
02/01/18 09:53 AM
02/01/18 09:53 AM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted By: kabguy
Hey bur; out of curiosity, what type of set did the old boy fall for this time? And for my two cents; I love trapping and killing coyotes like the rest of them, but I think it was cool you let him go too.

Kabguy, I wish I could tell you it was a subtle flat set with some gland lure, urine, and secret sauce, etc. BUT, he fell for the old dirthole. In three days running it caught a fox, a possum, and this collared coyote. Simple deer meat, heart, and liver ground up, tainted ever so slightly, and preserved. I had a post set 15 yards from him with urine and straight castor, but for some reason they couldn't pass up that deer meat bait (recipe courtesy of Swampwolf, thanks buddy).

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: chenocetah] #6144221
02/01/18 10:03 AM
02/01/18 10:03 AM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted By: chenocetah
I find this very interesting...

Not to hijack Bur's thread by any means, but to date I've made a repeat trapping of 3 of the GPS collared coyotes...Would love to post pics if I could figure it out...If somebody would volunteer I will email or text them.

Bur, my name is Jason Price, if you would contact me I would like to talk to you...I am in Saluda, SC.

I've followed the GPS study done by UGA closely, as I was involved in the original collaring...I have a copy of the complete thesis of the study if anybody is interested in it, Joey Hinton (Author of Bur's return email, prof at UGA) and Jennifer Ward (Who did the study) have give me permission to share it...Mark and Rusty are friends of mine and it's likely I was present at the original capture and collaring of the coyote Bur caught...It's amazing how far some of the coyotes have dispersed, even to other States...Some also stayed local as apparent in my capture of 3 this year so far within 10 miles or so of where the original bunch were collared 2 years ago...Two were males, with one of them being solid black and very unhappy, and one female...All 3 thought to be 4-6 yr olds...Of the original bunch of 30 or so we collared for the South Carolina part, there's not many left living...Can only be just a few, as most the collars batteries are now dead so it's an unknown. ..Mark could chime in with the actual original number, I'm sure he has it, as I can't seem to find it right now...Most of the collar returns have been from hunting incidents...I found one by GPS signal that died of natural causes...Bur's is the first other one I have personally heard about from a repeat trapping...Different contract trappers collared coyotes in 3 states for the study, SC - GA - AL...So there may be other catches out there that I would like to hear about.

Good Job Sir..!!

Jason, thanks for sharing, I was hoping this post would spark up some other conversation from those involved in the project. Joey emailed me the thesis from Jennifer Ward as well as the study by himself and Michael Chamberlain dealing with coyotes in eastern NC back a few years. I haven't looked at Jennifer's thesis yet (it's 112 pages), but I am anxious to read it. I think it will help me round out some of my trapping skills. Also, thanks you you, Mark and Rusty for putting your time in helping on this study. It really shows how amazing these animals are. If you would like, I will PM you my email address and I'll be happy to post your catch pictures.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: ] #6144231
02/01/18 10:14 AM
02/01/18 10:14 AM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted By: Mark June
Jason,

Good to hear from you brother and as far as numbers, RJ and I caught and collared 37 coyotes in 9 days in SC. God love peach farms! When I arrived in SC, a state I'd never even visited before, I thought I'd found every peach tree on the continent. That trip was a "trip" as the biologists were super to work with but they had grad students AND undergrad students riding with us virtually every day and that made for a BUNCH of people in tow and a BUNCH of human tracks in and around every trap set we constructed.

The picture Will has on this thread that Joey Hinton sent to him of the collared yote has a young undergrad student in the picture (don't recall her name) along with RJ and I and she was sent out to ride with us, like many of the biologists, because we were catching coyotes every day. I don't think Joey typed in the coyote's age correctly if we had a 32# coyote, as it wasn't < 1 year old obviously.

Don't believe you were there JP on that capture, but I swear everybody and their brother was along at some point. I recall a day we had 11 people accompanying us! Eleven! And we're trying to catch wily coyotes! I mentioned to Rusty, who was lead trapper on the project as you know, that we sort of had a circus with us and that it'd be easier for us to catch coyotes QUICKER if we didn't have such a big BLASTED CIRCUS... but in fine RJ style, he just smiled and said, "June, we'll just have to work harder."

I caught 7 black ones on that trip. I think RJ caught 5 also. 12 black out of 37 is quite a few!
Beauties.

MJ

Mark I agree with you on the age. When I originally emailed Joey, I mentioned how old and weathered this coyote looked. My catch picture doesn't show it the best, but really think he was older than 3. I'm just a hobby trapper, and don't see the numbers others do, but he just looked old. Either way it is a cool story. 37 in 9 days is humping it. What kind of acreage you covering to knock that out? And 12 black ones at that . . . bet some of the taxidermy gentlemen would have like to seen them.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144268
02/01/18 10:46 AM
02/01/18 10:46 AM
Alabama
C
Coonman300 Offline
trapper
Coonman300  Offline
trapper
C

Alabama
Bur, great post...thanks for sharing! Amazing how far they travel. Would have never imagined that. Jason and Mark, thanks for your info too. Any idea what part of Alabama the trapping study was done?

Thanks

War Eagle!
Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144951
02/01/18 10:31 PM
02/01/18 10:31 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Will,

As I recall we had three or four parcels to catch the coyotes at and we got the job done!

Coonman, the coyotes caught in AL came in different sectors as we worked there two different years. Troy was one area.

I remember that we caught the coyotes in 6 days and thank goodness we did as the RAIN CAME DOWN literally as we were done pulling traps from the red clay.

Mark

Re: GPS collar coyote, Mark June, Rusty Johnson, & me [Re: bur] #6144972
02/01/18 10:51 PM
02/01/18 10:51 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I don't know If those boys got paid to catch and collar those coyotes. But I did and you don't kill $99.00 coyotes LOL

3 of the ones I caught have been killed two by gun shots and one by vehicular homicide. The other 9 have stayed pretty much close to where I caught them.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread