No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: jht] #6155819
02/12/18 05:27 PM
02/12/18 05:27 PM
Nevada
thrstyunderwater Offline OP
trapper
thrstyunderwater  Offline OP
trapper

Nevada
Originally Posted By: Brokenboots
If she is 1200 # and well cared for I would plan for at least a 50% yield. If you don’t have the option to put her on corn for 60 days you might get some beef tallow added to your burger so it doesn’t dry out so readily, but it isn’t necessary just a thought.

Originally Posted By: jht
I've butchered several and will say it's good meat. Your yield will be considerably lower than a beef cow though. If you get around 30% you'll be doing good. A 7YO cow shouldn't be too tough. The one currently in my freezer was 19, and it's been fine. Then again, I'm not that picky, and we grind most of our meat. Good luck!

So I'll get somewhere between 30-50% meat return smirk

Originally Posted by Ole Hawkeye
Pat, as usual, you are right....

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156431
02/13/18 10:13 AM
02/13/18 10:13 AM
Flint Hills, KS
J
jht Offline
trapper
jht  Offline
trapper
J

Flint Hills, KS
Give or take wink

Seriously, though. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong. You may be more thorough with your knife than I am. I tend to allow the chickens and the dog to help be clean the bones. The bison I deal with are raised on bluestem range without any supplemental feed. Around here forage quality is at or below maintenance level for about 260 days a year. If yours is corralled and fed, it may do better than mine.

I'll just say if you expect a bison to dress out like a beef cow, then you should also expect to be disappointed. Beef cattle have been bred to produce lots of muscle mass. Bison are simply adapted to not die. As someone else said, they run, so they've got a lot of space devoted to large lungs, and they generally don't carry a bunch of extra weight as meat. Because she is a mature cow in good condition, even if you feed her out, she won't be gaining muscle mass. She'll just accumulate fat, and bison meat doesn't marble like beef. They tend to accumulate subcutaneous and visceral fat.

All that to say, if price per pound makes a difference in your decision-making process, then use a conservative estimate.

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: jht] #6156447
02/13/18 10:36 AM
02/13/18 10:36 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Dang man, your letting your chickens and dogs clean off them bones? I'd cook them off and make scrapple. Buffalo scrapple, now there's something I'd like to try!

Eh...wot?

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156449
02/13/18 10:39 AM
02/13/18 10:39 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
JHT is correct, a bison isn't going to yield what a beef steer will. They have much larger heads, less muscle and less fat.

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156452
02/13/18 10:45 AM
02/13/18 10:45 AM
Iowa
B
Bristleback Offline
trapper
Bristleback  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
Several years ago, 3 of us harvested 3 ranched bulls, 2 5yr olds and 1 7 yr old.........all the meat was INCREDIBLE.
Ours were:
*Extremely lean compared to beef........cook it low and slow!!
*Meat was incredible, very very good.
*I don't remember the yield, but after giving away boxes and boxes of meat to friends, buying and filling another freezer........we were still covered up in meat.

We're finishing up a Canadian Bull moose now and just picked up a half beef. That said, I don't need to "harvest" another buffalo, but would sure go in on sharing the cost of some meat someday, we found it THAT good!

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156671
02/13/18 03:18 PM
02/13/18 03:18 PM
minnesota
garman Offline
trapper
garman  Offline
trapper

minnesota
Bristleback, what did you like more the moose or buffalo? I tell ya I have eaten both and I would take the moose over the buffalo. Not that there is anything wrong with the buffalo.

"NR trapping, what a concept accepting those who have supported us"
Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156695
02/13/18 04:18 PM
02/13/18 04:18 PM
Iowa
B
Bristleback Offline
trapper
Bristleback  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
G, I agree, I like the moose over buff. To me the moose meat is a bit sweeter, if that makes sense??
That's hardly a knock of buffalo meat, the stuff we had was excellent.

We need to get together and I'll hook you up on some swamp donkey meat!!! Let me know if you get South and I'll get with you next time I'm North bound.

Re: Might buy a bison, couple questions.... [Re: thrstyunderwater] #6156702
02/13/18 04:21 PM
02/13/18 04:21 PM
minnesota
garman Offline
trapper
garman  Offline
trapper

minnesota
I will do so, would love to have some.

"NR trapping, what a concept accepting those who have supported us"
Page 2 of 2 1 2