Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: Fairchild #17] #63065
01/29/07 03:44 PM
01/29/07 03:44 PM
Eastern NC
DanielE Offline
trapper
DanielE  Offline
trapper

Eastern NC
Originally Posted By: Number17
....made a notch in both sides of the tail at the base so the beaver could be hung from the ceiling....

You mean to say the tail held the weight of the Beaver Plus the pulling while skinning??? Not that I doubt...but I couldn't get that to work.

I've done them on a power skinner in a similair fashion...split from sternum to tail, around tail, cut off legs and tail, skin hind quarters, loop snare ext cable around hind quarters then pull the rest of the way. Not at all any faster that what I'm currently doing, and more moving parts.

One thing that's plain as day when reading this thread...99% of it is just what works for you. I was taught differently than I do. I tried to mimmick...and it wouldn't work smoothly! So I just stuck with it, and now have my own system.

Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: Fairchild #17] #63074
01/29/07 03:48 PM
01/29/07 03:48 PM
SW MT
P
phutch30 Offline
trapper
phutch30  Offline
trapper
P

SW MT
I also case mine. Takes about 15 min to skin and another 15-20 to flesh without working up a sweat.

Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: phutch30] #63586
01/29/07 09:46 PM
01/29/07 09:46 PM
Central Iowa, 66 years
G
Griz1 Offline
trapper
Griz1  Offline
trapper
G

Central Iowa, 66 years
It is obvious that there is not just one way to skin a beaver. I lop off all four feet. Then I make a cut from chin to tail. Next I skin one side down until the ends of the legs pop through the pelt. Each leg skins easy as long as you cut perpendicular to the leg bone until the end of the leg pops through the pelt. When the skinning gets awkward, I go to the other side and skin it down by the same procedure until the ends of the legs pop through the pelt and it gets awkward to skin further. I now hook the choke chain on my skinning machine to the tail and lift the beaver up so it is hanging by the tail, head down, and at a comfortable height for me to work. Starting at the tail the pelt is cut loose at the tail and then it can be mostly pulled easily to the head. The head can then be skinned much like any other case skinned animal. When the pelt is off it is flat and round ready for fleshing and boarding. The key seems to be get the pelt off in a manner that is handy for you and get it stretched to dry. Practice seems to develop more speed to the way that is comfortable for you. Just my way that is another variant.

Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: Griz1] #63621
01/29/07 09:59 PM
01/29/07 09:59 PM
West Michigan
D
dayooper Offline
trapper
dayooper  Offline
trapper
D

West Michigan
I've only gotten a few but I just pulled one out of the freezer from last spring and when I went to flesh it I forgot that I had partly case skinned it to make fleshing easier...Holy Crap was it easier. I skinned from belly side of tail up to between the front legs and peeled the lower part of the body around like you normally would (after lopping off the legs with loppers), then I skinned it the rest of the way like a coon. It made it so much easier on the beam and fleshed out great. That is how I will do them all from now on.

Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: ] #63793
01/29/07 11:30 PM
01/29/07 11:30 PM
Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
I skin all my beaves in a trough. No slipping and sliding and never a drop of blood on the pelt. Ive tried about every method and the trough is the quickest and easiest way I have found. I got the pattern out of Charlies open water beaver book. And Pauls dad had skinned a beaver or two in his lifetime!

Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: Dave Plueger] #63839
01/29/07 11:55 PM
01/29/07 11:55 PM
MN
W
wcollinge2000 Offline
trapper
wcollinge2000  Offline
trapper
W

MN
I cut off the feet and cut around the tail . then tail up to chin. back to the bottom and open them up working my way up to the head. like to leave the head area intact as much as I can as the glands around the neck seem to bleed out the most. Guess what I think im building a trough soon as the knees are really hurting lately and I have never seen any one else do a beaver before. not even pictures until I got on this site. looks like it is a bit more relaxing than kneeling with the beaver on the floor . boy am I doing it the hard way.That might just give me more time to catch more .

Last edited by wcollinge2000; 01/30/07 12:00 AM.

trapping is fun chipping ice is not!
Re: Skinning Beavers [Re: ] #64025
01/30/07 08:58 AM
01/30/07 08:58 AM
Eastern NC
DanielE Offline
trapper
DanielE  Offline
trapper

Eastern NC
Originally Posted By: TexA
I don't know why you'd say something like that Daniel.....

I've caught Beaver by the tail in snares and they hang-up pretty good that way when they cinch the loop down tight.

Tex...I said why in my post...I tried it on the power skinner and had a bob-tailed beaver no time. I was using a cable and ripped the tail plumb off. I just don't think pulling a hide off the front shoulders compares very well with tail snaring!

Don't take my statement out of context though...if he can get it to work...GREAT.....more power to him!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91