No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: hippie] #6161752
02/18/18 04:14 PM
02/18/18 04:14 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: hippie
I don't think ya can Mike.
Ever hear the saying, "it takes a village to raise a child"?
I know some very nice people who have parents who didn't make them as decent as they are. They got that way thru people at school and their community.

You coming out of the closet? smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161754
02/18/18 04:16 PM
02/18/18 04:16 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Most of the time there are to many Chiefs trying to select a one time fix for this problem, which always leads to more arguments about who is to blame, instead of searching out the cause.

Most of the time these tragic incidents are the fruit of mental illness thats been ignored, age certainly has it's merits in culpability, probably as a way of marking the persons dire deed for their mark in history than anything else.

When an inanimate object gets the blame for the problem instead of the person making the tool work, you know there is mass hysteria in the blame game.

Until people realize that the tool is not the problem the problem will continue at some degree every where that tool is, take that particular tool away and another will just replace it !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: FairbanksLS] #6161760
02/18/18 04:18 PM
02/18/18 04:18 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted By: gray dog
Social media is more dangerous to conservative values than any liberal teacher. Yet most parents provide their children with unlimited access.

I won't argue your point about social media but don't discount the negative effect public education has had on our youth. My fourteen year old constantly comes home telling me about how his teachers try to influence his thinking on issues teachers have no business involving themselves in. This isn't anecdotal, this is an everyday thing.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161769
02/18/18 04:25 PM
02/18/18 04:25 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Big thing in colleges as well, Professor is there to teach about their subject and spends all his time trying to confront his demons in front of a captive audience !

[Linked Image]

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: GritGuy] #6161772
02/18/18 04:27 PM
02/18/18 04:27 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted By: GritGuy
Big thing in colleges as well, Professor is there to teach about their subject and spends all his time trying to confront his demons in front of a captive audience !

The importance of transgender bathrooms?

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161778
02/18/18 04:35 PM
02/18/18 04:35 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Not discounting it but I know which one as a parent is easier to control.

I suppose we could have a political test for teachers when they apply for a job.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161786
02/18/18 04:42 PM
02/18/18 04:42 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
put in all the metal detectors you want they have had school shooting at schools with metal detectors , the shooter had the gun a 30-30 rifle under his long coat when he got up to the metal detector he shot the guard running it , then the principal his intended target.

you can only slow down a shooter or take them out

I suppose you could try to talk them out of it but the second they step on the school grounds with a gun they are a felon , really they are likely fairly committed to it at that point.

what has really changed in the last 30 year is increased coverage of everything , people used to think things were not possible , more and more coverage and kids breaking the law and not getting caught and the publicizing they didn't get caught

I will use sealing cars as an example , southern Wisconsin and Northern ILL is plagued with this recently , it started in Milwaukee maybe a kid stole a car they went joy riding and they dumped the car , then another and another they had friends with , heck they made videos to share with their friends while joy riding in stolen cars.

a bunch died in the car wrecks they caused , their life didn't mean anything to them in the first place so big deal it wouldn't happen to them they were good at driving stolen cars they had done it twice before and it was fine

some got caught , their 8th or 9th car they got caught possibly when they wrecked btu 6 months in juvie no big deal they ate better there than they did at home many days

so more and more and and it spread and now it has gotten ridiculous and even small cities like Janesville and Beloit are seeing a large increase in this activity

show kids that it is possible to enter a school and shoot it up and guess what happens

the fix will be slow but install barriers and procedures to slow down the progress of a threat and make it so they would need an accomplice to gain entry with out being detected while still out side needing an acomplice increases the chance some on will report it before anything happens remember almost all of these are very much loners . While at the same time taking steps to decrease response time so that the threat is recognized , identified and neutralized before the threat has a chance to do much damage.

publicize the threat leaving in a body bag . or cuffed with a black bag over their head.

there is NO WAY to Insure zero deaths , there isn't in anything , but with steps a reduction in deaths and injured can happen

they need to be convinced that they can't reach their objective without dying.

NOw WE SHOULD BE VERY CLEAR , THIS MOST RECENT SHOOTING IN FLORIDA WAS A COLOSSAL MISTAKE . the shooter had been reported to the FBI by more than one source an it was not followed up on.

the government has let us down over and over and over telling us if they can have this or that that they can keep us safe , background cheeks that they then fail to report to over and over and over. the TRUTH IS THE GOVERNMENT CAN NOT KEEP YOU SAFE they can't they used to know this our founding fathers new NO GOVERNMENT could keep everyone safe any government who even lied and said they could was likely harming more people than they were keeping safe . they should not tell you they can and they should not restrict responsible adults from the tools to keep themselves safe.

the only way this country gets better is people taking care of themselves and their friends , and their relatives , community.

we saw community band together in 1775 and that is what it will take in 2018 and beyond good people willing to stand up for what is right , good people armed with the tools of freedom ready to put down enemies foreign and domestic at a minutes notice. for schools that may well be teachers , parents , grandparents.

Israel had a real problem with school shootings. but it wasn't their kids it was terrorists , they developed a schedule of patrols mostly done by retired grand parents who walked the school grounds for a shift each day getting their exercise chatting and having morning coffee with friends but it did the trick and it ended attacks on their schools , no Jihadist wants to get shot in the back by granny while trying to do his evil deeds.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/18/18 05:02 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161797
02/18/18 04:54 PM
02/18/18 04:54 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Quote:
their life didn't mean anything to them in the first place so big deal it
And because their own life is meaningless so is everyone else. Can you /we fix this?

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6161864
02/18/18 05:57 PM
02/18/18 05:57 PM
Perham Minnesota 54
R
racerboy108 Offline
trapper
racerboy108  Offline
trapper
R

Perham Minnesota 54
I think the fix is in our hands as our democracy is a great system but the players are to busy fighting amongst each other listen to us.

We have the answers and we understand the problems.

I like the idea of people buying into building small communities within ourselves and getting away from social media and government control.

Fill these small communities up with the right people and you will see values of life come back.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: GritGuy] #6161928
02/18/18 06:58 PM
02/18/18 06:58 PM
MI
lebowski Offline
trapper
lebowski  Offline
trapper

MI
what college did you go to?

My college experience was nothing like that LOL!

Originally Posted By: GritGuy

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

--The Dude
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162022
02/18/18 08:11 PM
02/18/18 08:11 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
The amount of attacks on women are through the roof on college campuses. Here it's illegal to carry on a college campus other than in your car.

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162056
02/18/18 08:44 PM
02/18/18 08:44 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
lebowski....your old school !!

[Linked Image]

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162128
02/18/18 09:54 PM
02/18/18 09:54 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Well, when I was in college they mandated that I be well rounded with dumas classes. To fill one of my humanity requirements I took "Women's Studies". Just me and another really scared guy in a room full of man-haters. I finally couldn't take it and dropped that class. I have never fully understood why the effort to well round me; I was happy being square. frown

P.S. Do not look up "infibulation".

Who is John Galt?
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162202
02/18/18 11:25 PM
02/18/18 11:25 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We didn't need no college to study women here,we did that in the back seat of a buick on our own.
You Yankees are a funny bunch,lol.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162219
02/18/18 11:43 PM
02/18/18 11:43 PM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
Bring back public hangings. Put a set of gallows on the courthouse lawns , when they are tried and found guilty just hang them don't even give them their last meal. If they want to out law guns then I want anything that could be used as a deadly weapon outlawed. Cars , trucks , baseball bats , knives , anything that could kill anyone .

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: tjm] #6162238
02/18/18 11:56 PM
02/18/18 11:56 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: tjm
Quote:
their life didn't mean anything to them in the first place so big deal it
And because their own life is meaningless so is everyone else. Can you /we fix this?

yes and no

depends are we talking school shooters or the youth of Milwaukee

school shooters tend to not come from a household of no means , they should actually be able to see a life beyond their daily misery but for one reason or another they can't. Usually their parent{s) should be able to see signs but don't or pass it off.

there are kids that shoot at school or close enough to the school in gang or drug related violence that it gets labeled a school shooting by the media to boost propaganda for gun control.

I think the difference is the intended victims

A. one is just business, territory and competition.

B. the other is anger or revenge aimed at school staff and or students.

lets be honest some students earn their place on the "kill list" of the school shooter , kids are absolutely brutal in picking and harassing each other and have mastered not getting caught by the rules of the system. NO , I am absolutely not saying that whatever mean thing a student says is justification for killing them 90 days in juvi for disorderly conduct yes, but not death.

we should also be clear that it is very common for a student with say maybe some social awkwardness or a skin condition that they have no control over or some other thing like that to hear on a daily or hourly basis that they should kill them selves , some times in those exact works and more often in an acronym GKY or in a thousand other digs and comments.

this wears on students , as parents we need to keep in our kids lives they will want to unplug , they don't want to talk to us about this . it's embarrassing that their class mates hate them so much that they want them to kill themselves.

or perhaps it is the young lady who picks out those boys who may be slightly award or not exactly smooth . she shows some interest in him but will only talk to him by text so that she can giggle and show it to all her friends , set up meeting after meeting for after school , at the McDonalds or ice cream shop or park , just to stand him up and make an excuse for it later. It is really hard to prove she is actually doing this but in a small town you see a pattern when you know a few people . what to do , well it's even harder when it is the principals daughter doing it and she knows so intrinsically how to play the rules , not innocent her.

we need to stay in our children lives and try and see this stuff , try to keep them talking to us so that we can see the pattern they can't. so that we can ensure them there is a tomorrow and it looks good , life gets better after high school and you just have to let this stuff roll of your back.

Teaching your kids they don't need to forgive that behavior, but they do need to let go of it, there is no need to ruin your life over their behavior , don't let it burn you up.
but there will be a tomorrow and it maybe be a year or 3 from now that your tomorrow and theirs no longer need to cross daily.
learn to let it go.

everyone should teach their kids that they should live their life like everyone around them is packing a weapon capable of killing them because they honestly could be.

how would you live your life if everyone you met could kill you in under 3 seconds

providing people with a false expectation that no one is armed leads to bad behavior and leaves them vulnerable when some with bad intentions is armed.

you can change the weapon but you will never change the violence till you convince them

1, it is not worth it to hurt themselves and others

2, there is a tomorrow without the pain

3, that the picking and harassment isn't harmless and it could mean their life.

4. we should probably view 50% or more of teen suicide as a young person who could have turned the violence on the harasser but chose to turn it on themselves instead

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162273
02/19/18 12:39 AM
02/19/18 12:39 AM
NW Oklahoma
okie4570 Offline
trapper
okie4570  Offline
trapper

NW Oklahoma
I'm on a lot of forums, this is a popular topic of course and there's been a hundred ideas about how this could have been prevented on campus before it happened. Most, including myself didn't know the actual timeline of how Cruz operated that afternoon. Short of an adult armed and ready to double tap him, I've not read one fix that would have helped that day once he stepped out of the Uber car. Article below is a pretty good read on what happened, what didn't happen, and what should have happened.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browar...0215-story.html

Spending time with your kids in the woods, is far better than any vacation!
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: okie4570] #6162284
02/19/18 01:04 AM
02/19/18 01:04 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: okie4570
I'm on a lot of forums, this is a popular topic of course and there's been a hundred ideas about how this could have been prevented on campus before it happened. Most, including myself didn't know the actual timeline of how Cruz operated that afternoon. Short of an adult armed and ready to double tap him, I've not read one fix that would have helped that day once he stepped out of the Uber car. Article below is a pretty good read on what happened, what didn't happen, and what should have happened.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browar...0215-story.html

Wow. The kid knew exactly what he was doing. He found all the chinks in the armor and formulated a plan around those weaknesses.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: foxkidd44] #6162531
02/19/18 10:45 AM
02/19/18 10:45 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Everyone spins the wheel in life and throws their money at the number they think will win. You can't pick the item they bet on or save everyone picks a number different than you. Maybe if his mother would have simple gotten a flu shot it all would have never happened?? 50/50 chance with both deals?
Teach your kids about situational awareness is best you can do on your own. How many of these kids have been saying. I knew if we ever had a problem it be this kid causing it. He was the one. Why didn't any of them say to teachers, school board etc. I don't feel safe at school if this kid is on the street???

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: my proposal to protect kids from school shootings [Re: Macthediver] #6162572
02/19/18 11:22 AM
02/19/18 11:22 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Macthediver
Everyone spins the wheel in life and throws their money at the number they think will win. You can't pick the item they bet on or save everyone picks a number different than you. Maybe if his mother would have simple gotten a flu shot it all would have never happened?? 50/50 chance with both deals?
Teach your kids about situational awareness is best you can do on your own. How many of these kids have been saying. I knew if we ever had a problem it be this kid causing it. He was the one. Why didn't any of them say to teachers, school board etc. I don't feel safe at school if this kid is on the street???

Mac

Mac , this one was reported to the FBI on January 5, 2018

"On 5 January a person close to the suspect contacted the FBI tipline to provide "information about Cruz's gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behaviour, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting", an FBI statement said.

The FBI said that information should have been assessed as a potential threat to life and passed on to the Miami field office but that "we have determined these protocols were not followed".

this school appears to have choosen to restrict access with a fence and gates to school grounds , I can see where that would be necessary in a FL school , schools in the south don't look like schools in the north they tend to be more individual buildings that students must pass between , lockers may even be in covered but not enclosed halls.

where in Wisconsin , schools are heated , halls are fully enclosed and heated once entering the building your in and do not leave.

this shooter knew the gate protocol , gates start getting opened about 15 minutes before the release of school , it sounds like his first victim was the guy opening the gates.

he also knew that pulling the fire alarm unlocked all the doors

so short of someone who could have been there at the time of the attack , not much would have stopped him from killing at least as many people as he did.

situational awareness is a very good thing to teach your kids , teach it at home and when your out with your kids , if you are aware of your surroundings and watching people around you for things that seem out of the normal you may cross the street or hang back and watch , or decide it is a good time to leave.

the reality is that every kid should know what a gun shot sounds like and not from TV from hearing it in person , I think they should know what a sonic crack sounds like also
the first time a bullet passes by you it takes time to know what it was especially if it is from far enough away that you don't hear the boom or it is very muffled the crack is distinct once you know what it is.

kids come from a place where mom and dad have taken care of their safety , they probably don't even know why dad may have done something , but about the time they are 11 or 12 they need to start to learn for themselves , this is generally the time they totally want to check out they have discovered music and have their ear buds in what seems like 24/7 except then you require they disconnect and be present at the dinner table.

it is time for the "it may not be your fault but if your dead what does it matter" discustion. , start this with crossing the street as soon as you let them cross on their own , if you cross the street and your in a cross walk and the driver is required to stop for you but fails to and hits you , your dead and they have a dent in their car. sure it is their fault but your dead! so who suffers the most , who has the most to loose , you do.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/19/18 11:27 AM.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread