No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove #6165200
02/21/18 01:48 PM
02/21/18 01:48 PM
Hayward WI
W
WITRAPPER42 Offline OP
trapper
WITRAPPER42  Offline OP
trapper
W

Hayward WI
I plan to change out the insert (not very efficient) with a free standing wood stove so I can cut back on costs. My question is has anyone else done it and what complications did you run into? Did you have to mess with pre-existing chimney at all? Thanks!!

Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165256
02/21/18 02:20 PM
02/21/18 02:20 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Yes, we changed a Jotul 450 insert to a Jotul 400 free standing stove last fall. The stove stands on the hearth with just a 1/2 inch or so back into the fireplace. The max output rating for the stove was only 10% more than the insert (55K BTU/hr vs 50K) but the difference in actual heat output is huge. The radiant heat from the stove is a whole lot more, it has a larger firebox, and does not require a blower. It will take a blower but that is a waste of money IMO. Our flu has a stainless liner that was installed for the insert so the only materials needed were the Tee connection to transition from the stove to the liner. Bottom line is the free standing stove is much more effective, works just as well when the power is out, and you can cook on the stovetop if you need to. It's all positives for us.

Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165267
02/21/18 02:28 PM
02/21/18 02:28 PM
Hayward WI
W
WITRAPPER42 Offline OP
trapper
WITRAPPER42  Offline OP
trapper
W

Hayward WI
I was thinking the same thing EdP. Better heat output and lower propane cost are my main factors. It looks nice and all but Im looking to actually get some REAL output out of it. Im gonna burn wood regardless so might as well go more efficient and better output.

Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165281
02/21/18 02:39 PM
02/21/18 02:39 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
This is a timely thread because I have been considering the same thing.

My insert is old, drafty, and inefficient. I would probably choke if I knew how much of the heat gleaned from the wood was going up the chimney.

My problem is the size and layout of my living room. I can't put a free-standing wood stove in front of the fireplace... That would cut into the necessary clearance from adjacent furnishings. I could block off the fireplace and move over 8 feet and set a stove against the North wall though.

These new wood stoves are smaller than older models, but I'd like something with a top surface that I could heat water/cook stew on in the event of a prolonged power outage.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165290
02/21/18 02:45 PM
02/21/18 02:45 PM
Wright county, Minnesota
Birch Tree Offline
trapper
Birch Tree  Offline
trapper

Wright county, Minnesota
I prefer a freestanding woodstove for the above-mentioned reasons, the radiant heat is better and you can cook off the stove top with many models. Each situation is different so we are going with a pellet stove add-on to our ductwork in the basement to get off the gas company teet in the winter time, we have a brand new furnace that cost us just shy of 5k to put in and our house is colder than ever before (built in 51), I want a fireplace but this house is too small and with our little ones the stove upstairs in the living room is a huge risk or I would go that route.

Mark Skokan, Buffalo MN.

MTA and NTA Member.
Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165293
02/21/18 02:46 PM
02/21/18 02:46 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Also, FWIW - there are a few high efficiency air tight inserts offered out there. I myself, like the free standing wood stove.

Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165296
02/21/18 02:48 PM
02/21/18 02:48 PM
Nevada
thrstyunderwater Offline
trapper
thrstyunderwater  Offline
trapper

Nevada
You might consider putting in a better insert. I have an ~1,100 SF ranch with vaulted ceilings. Not well insulated at all. I have a Napoleon 1402 (has a fan) that heats my house, and does it well. I know folks aren't huge EPA fans, however this one is EPA certified and I'm really impressed. Burns wood substantially more efficiently than an old pot bellied stove I had in a garage. Due to my lack of terminology I'll call it a cadillac converter, but once the insert is hot it recirculates gasses from the wood, making it so efficient. Once it's going you can't even see any smoke leave the chimney, just a glimmer of heat.

Not 100% efficient, but I like it. Also is nice, I don't lose a substantial part of my tiny living room to a full blown stove. I got mine on craigslist for $800

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-...ASAAEgI0fPD_BwE

Originally Posted by Ole Hawkeye
Pat, as usual, you are right....

Re: Replacing insert with freestanding wood stove [Re: WITRAPPER42] #6165409
02/21/18 04:51 PM
02/21/18 04:51 PM
Columbia, MO
D
Denny Russell Offline
trapper
Denny Russell  Offline
trapper
D

Columbia, MO
We bought a free standing EFEL stove in 1978 and placed it on the brick hearth in front of our fireplace. I put a piece of sheet metal over the fireplace opening to block it off. The stove has a pipe out the back for exhaust, so I just cut a hole in the sheet metal for the exhaust pipe to go through. The pipe extends about 8 inches through the sheet metal panel. I leave my fireplace damper open and use the draft on the stove to control the fire. This arrangement has served us well for about 40 years. It keeps our 2000 sq. ft. home warm with help from a few ceiling fans.

The EFEL stoves are not sold in the USA now, but the one we have can be used as a cooktop stove if needed. It is probably not as efficient as some of the newer stoves, but I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood. My personal opinion is that any stove would still be way better than a fireplace and some of the inserts that I have seen.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread