No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6159730
02/16/18 03:53 PM
02/16/18 03:53 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I hope my last post didn't come across as TOO arrogant or divisive. I'm enjoying this conversation and everything offered by all of you, because resource management is an issue close to my soul. But yes, having worked both the development and conservation sides, I'm proud of Alaska's stewardship record.

Hippie, I've never understood the push for sewage treatment vs. septic. Sure, in a high-density application like urban developments it's the only option, but in small towns and suburbia, leeching seems like a far more responsible choice. Why the push?

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6159772
02/16/18 05:01 PM
02/16/18 05:01 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
In North Platte, Nebraska........they have sewage lagoons between the North Platte River and the South Platte River. The bottom of the lagoons is below ground water level... Darn nice looking facility!

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: KenaiKid] #6159853
02/16/18 06:30 PM
02/16/18 06:30 PM
s.w. Missouri
C
coolstucco Offline
trapper
coolstucco  Offline
trapper
C

s.w. Missouri
Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
I hope my last post didn't come across as TOO arrogant or divisive. I'm enjoying this conversation and everything offered by all of you, because resource management is an issue close to my soul. But yes, having worked both the development and conservation sides, I'm proud of Alaska's stewardship record.

Hippie, I've never understood the push for sewage treatment vs. septic. Sure, in a high-density application like urban developments it's the only option, but in small towns and suburbia, leeching seems like a far more responsible choice. Why the push?

When everything is on sewer the state can control emissions easier, tax them easier (permits, fees, inspections, etc.) leech fields or septic tanks are more difficult to monitor. State dnr gets their finger in the pie from all angles when a sewer system is involved.

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6159924
02/16/18 07:46 PM
02/16/18 07:46 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^^
In Washington State the bureaucrats are always pushing for government run sewer systems just for the reasons you cited - money and control.

Then at the same time they complain about lack of ground water recharge in developing areas. Septic systems seem like a great way to help with ground water recharge.

The same officials also push for curb and gutters in all new developments rather than engineering road water to simply run off the road surface and infiltrate into the ground. These curb and gutter systems then dump roadway water directly into salmon spawning streams. And they say they're concerned about the environment, what a joke.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: KenaiKid] #6163474
02/20/18 12:16 AM
02/20/18 12:16 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Kenai, your posts were the opposite of arrogant. They are helpful, informative, and personal. Good stuff.
My only question about the demand for big development in wild places is why don't people just move to New Jersey, instead of demanding that New Jersey move to Heaven-On-Earth?

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6163502
02/20/18 12:47 AM
02/20/18 12:47 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Heaven-On-Earth? So heaven is frozen 6, 7, 8 months a year? There is a reason there are hardly any people here. Even less, in the armpit.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Dirt] #6163651
02/20/18 07:42 AM
02/20/18 07:42 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Heaven-On-Earth? So heaven is frozen 6, 7, 8 months a year? There is a reason there are hardly any people here. Even less, in the armpit.

The scariest thing about the Armpit, is the guy who lives there. That is NOT St. Peter standing at the gate...!

Pete

Last edited by Pete in Frbks; 02/20/18 07:43 AM.
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6164430
02/20/18 08:46 PM
02/20/18 08:46 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

What can I say, I like cold weather and snow. Always did. That is Heaven to me. Just so happens my favorite pastimes also happen then. Move over, Dirt. Armpit is lookin pretty good

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: PAlltheway] #6164804
02/21/18 02:38 AM
02/21/18 02:38 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted By: PAlltheway

My only question about the demand for big development in wild places is why don't people just move to New Jersey, instead of demanding that New Jersey move to Heaven-On-Earth?

I didn’t know New Jersey had any gold mines smile

In all seriousness though PA, it’s because we love to live here, but we also like having groceries, vehicles, fuel, and modern buildings. And those require money, infrastructure and jobs. Really though, I’m not sure you understand the scale we enjoy here. We can put in a 5-acre oil pad in the middle of a million acres of wilderness, that makes several million dollars a year and employs dozens of people who are therefore able to afford to live here. Mines use a little bit more space, but have a shorter life and are reclaimed more easily. Some have roads, many are fly-in only, and use winter ice roads or barges for freight.

And the reason it will never turn into New Jersey is that there is very little private land in AK. The vast majority of resource extraction is on government-held land, under a permitting system that specifically prohibits residential use and permanent construction. I could show you old capped oil wellheads in overgrown swamps that you’d never know were there unless you tripped over them. You’d be surprised how fast it goes back to “pristine.”

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6164814
02/21/18 03:35 AM
02/21/18 03:35 AM
Maryland's Eastern Shore
M
mud Offline
trapper
mud  Offline
trapper
M

Maryland's Eastern Shore
Sure....y'all gotta pick on the ugly duckling stepkid from Jersey....

Always the butt of the joke lol.

April is autism awareness month. Nearly 1 in every 100 children are born with an autism spectrum disorder.. 1 in 100. Stop and think about it...please
Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: KenaiKid] #6165007
02/21/18 10:37 AM
02/21/18 10:37 AM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: PAlltheway

I didn’t know New Jersey had any gold mines smile

In all seriousness though PA, it’s because we love to live here, but we also like having groceries, vehicles, fuel, and modern buildings. And those require money, infrastructure and jobs. Really though, I’m not sure you understand the scale we enjoy here. We can put in a 5-acre oil pad in the middle of a million acres of wilderness, that makes several million dollars a year and employs dozens of people who are therefore able to afford to live here. Mines use a little bit more space, but have a shorter life and are reclaimed more easily. Some have roads, many are fly-in only, and use winter ice roads or barges for freight.

And the reason it will never turn into New Jersey is that there is very little private land in AK. The vast majority of resource extraction is on government-held land, under a permitting system that specifically prohibits residential use and permanent construction. I could show you old capped oil wellheads in overgrown swamps that you’d never know were there unless you tripped over them. You’d be surprised how fast it goes back to “pristine.”

Kenai, I have been to AK, for one week. Not much time but it was a lot of bush plane time and we covered a large part of the south-central, Denali area and north, south and east of Denali. Drove up to Talkeetna from Anchorage. I won't say I have seen it all, obviously, but you'd be surprised at how quickly everything can start to look like New Jersey. And once it's gone Joizy, it ain't comin back.

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6165195
02/21/18 01:45 PM
02/21/18 01:45 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Glad you got to see a little bit of it. Then you should be aware, like I said, that the majority of country you saw is protected from ever being permanently developed. USFWS has an interactive map online that shows land use. Federal, state, native settlement, and private. You don’t have to zoom out far before the “private” color completely disappears. That, along with our environmental regs and full reclamation bonding laws, is why I’m comfortable with controlled resource development. The urban/suburban areas like Anchorage, FBX, Mat-Su, are looking more and more like New Jersey. And I certainly wouldn’t mind if those populations shrunk a bit. But their growth is finite.

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Gary Benson] #6165498
02/21/18 06:14 PM
02/21/18 06:14 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
when I was working pipeline in Pa in 2012 I was impressed by the smallmouth numbers in the Susquehanna . it blew my mind how many ten pound channel cats where in that river . and the locals threw them back calling them trash

Re: Gold Mountain standoff in Alaska? [Re: Bigfoot] #6165855
02/21/18 11:34 PM
02/21/18 11:34 PM
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
when I was working pipeline in Pa in 2012 I was impressed by the smallmouth numbers in the Susquehanna . it blew my mind how many ten pound channel cats where in that river . and the locals threw them back calling them trash

Those catfish are bass-eatin' b@sturds! They make great trap bait.
In 2012, the Susquehanna was dead by our local standards. In 2012 I got hospitalized with MRSA from wet wading in the September early goose season. In the 1990s through about 2005 the river was incredible. We would go out with spinning rods after work and catch about 50-100 fish, then switch over to fly rods with #4 poppers and target the really big fish at dusk and til 10:00 pm. It is slowly coming back.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread