No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: KeithC] #6171161
02/26/18 04:02 PM
02/26/18 04:02 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: KeithC
This is the way charity should be given, one on one and personal.

Charity should never be forced, on the givers, or delivered in the form of a check or electronic debit card, to the receivers. When money is taken and given that way it becomes an entitlement rather than a gift.

Keith

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171163
02/26/18 04:04 PM
02/26/18 04:04 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
If I was forced to pray for a hand out I would have left without the hand out.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: The Beav] #6171166
02/26/18 04:07 PM
02/26/18 04:07 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: The Beav

Would that make you a beggar or a chooser?

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171212
02/26/18 05:10 PM
02/26/18 05:10 PM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
Sitting on the dentist chair waiting on the shot to work reading.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171216
02/26/18 05:17 PM
02/26/18 05:17 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I say anybody who refuses a meal and wants money instead, or refuses work when offered, isn't in need. My experience with homeless beggars has been near 100% for those two things. I'm not heartless. I've offered to feed a lot of people. Most turn that down. Tell them you got 24 tons of freight that needs stacked on pallets and pulled out onto a dock they are not interested in that either. So if my having 0 sympathy for those folks makes me heartless I guess I'll wear the label.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: Mike in A-town] #6171260
02/26/18 06:16 PM
02/26/18 06:16 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Mike in A-town
Originally Posted By: The Beav

Would that make you a beggar or a chooser?

Mike

Did the person In the story come In begging for food?

I guess If I came In begging for a hand out I would consider myself a beggar. But once I was told I had to pray for that hand out and I choose not to I would become a chooser.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: 1lessdog] #6171319
02/26/18 07:28 PM
02/26/18 07:28 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Originally Posted By: 1lessdog
Originally Posted By: danny clifton
shoulda offered the deadbeat a job and seen what would happen

This is not what the story is about. Its about kindness to one another.

Not everybody gets it. A shame, really.

Thanks for this great story. I hope it give us all cause to pause and consider what seemingly small things like this could mean if they were more common.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171432
02/26/18 08:55 PM
02/26/18 08:55 PM

B
bleeohio
Unregistered
bleeohio
Unregistered
B

Who knows, that single prayer may have had a bigger impact on the guy more than the food.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171456
02/26/18 09:12 PM
02/26/18 09:12 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
I think its great that manager stepped up and done something don't care what the motives were

olden tyred
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171513
02/26/18 09:47 PM
02/26/18 09:47 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted By: bleeohio
Who knows, that single prayer may have had a bigger impact on the guy more than the food.
might of even had a bigger impact than just that one guy.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171590
02/26/18 10:57 PM
02/26/18 10:57 PM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I’m not a religious man but can easy recognize what happened. A good man stepped and helped someone who needed a meal and offered a prayer on the mans behalf. Lots of Christians talk the good talk, but how many pick up a hitch hiker in the rain?

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171598
02/26/18 11:03 PM
02/26/18 11:03 PM
Fort Worth Texas
yask65 Offline
trapper
yask65  Offline
trapper

Fort Worth Texas
we are suppose to help our fellow man ! it doesn't matter what they do with the help you give them ,not our place to judge . this is a great story !thank you for sharing

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171600
02/26/18 11:05 PM
02/26/18 11:05 PM
Fort Worth Texas
yask65 Offline
trapper
yask65  Offline
trapper

Fort Worth Texas
one more thing ! this story may change how someone feels towards those less fortunate , maybe even help bring someone to christ !

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171622
02/26/18 11:26 PM
02/26/18 11:26 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I understand Danny's point.

I think everyone knows, or has heard 2 Thessalonians 3:10 paraphrased... "He who does not work, shall not eat."

I agree with that to a point. And I have no issue placing conditions on charity on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not sure how much work I can practically expect from a widow or orphan. A young person in good health? I can see asking them to help unload a truck... Sooner we get it unloaded, sooner we can grab a bite to eat.

If they turn down a free meal because what they really crave is money for a dope fix... That's on them. They went from beggar to chooser.

I don't know the circumstances of the young man in the post above. Maybe he offered to mop the floor or tote trash for some leftovers... Maybe he didn't.

For whatever reason, the manager felt he should give the young man some food. He had the authority to make that decision.

Good enough for me.

Mike

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: danny clifton] #6171755
02/27/18 05:48 AM
02/27/18 05:48 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? .

No Danny. It will certainly not be a one-time thing. It’s not a one-time thing for Chik-fil-A, for the Salvation Army, or for the hundreds of thousands of charities, churches, soup kitchens, shelters, missions, and individuals who voluntarily give each and every day. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason Chik-fil-A gives away free food is BECAUSE the needy will come back, not in spite of it? Have you ever considered that some people in this world actually LIKE to give to to others instead of merely working for their own gain, and therefore “bringing the rest of the bums back” might not be the cost, but the goal?

The difference between me and you is that you see helping others as a means to an end— you’ll help them IF it gets them off the street, IF it helps you get some work done, IF it helps them not inconvenience you anymore. But you see it as a negative- it’s not something you want to do, so naturally you’ll find any excuse to exempt yourself from it. You won’t help if they want cash, or if they won’t slave for you for it, or if they might come back, or if they DID come back, or if they could be getting help somewhere else, or if they seem like they could be working, or if they smell funny, or if they’re addicted, or if they’ve been on the street for too long, or if they seem lazy, or if they should be trying harder. Right?

It kind of reminds me of a guy I know who claims he likes to trap— but he only does it if he’s not too busy, it’s not too cold, too wet, too snowy, too dark, or too far to drive. The truth is we all pick our priorities, and our priorities define our values. If generosity and selflessness are not among your values, then that’s ok. We’re all different. Just be honest about yourself.

But some of us have found a personal value in selfless giving, above my own self-superior judgement of who deserves to receive, from my little self to Dan Cathy and Travis Boersma (CEOs of Chik-Fil-A and Dutch Bros Coffee, respectively). We’ve chosen to willfully practice a set of values that you’ve never discovered, and that doesn’t necessarily make us foolish or naive. The only naivety would be thinking we do it for a selfish reason.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: KenaiKid] #6171792
02/27/18 07:48 AM
02/27/18 07:48 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: KenaiKid
I mean seriously. Stop and think. What do you think would happen when the deadbeat gets to the mission that night or where he and other deadbeats are going to congregate, and tells them about the restaurant where food is free? you really think that it would be a one time thing for the deadbeat to come in and ask for free food if it is given????????????????????????? .

No Danny. It will certainly not be a one-time thing. It’s not a one-time thing for Chik-fil-A, for the Salvation Army, or for the hundreds of thousands of charities, churches, soup kitchens, shelters, missions, and individuals who voluntarily give each and every day. Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps the reason Chik-fil-A gives away free food is BECAUSE the needy will come back, not in spite of it? Have you ever considered that some people in this world actually LIKE to give to to others instead of merely working for their own gain, and therefore “bringing the rest of the bums back” might not be the cost, but the goal?

The difference between me and you is that you see helping others as a means to an end— you’ll help them IF it gets them off the street, IF it helps you get some work done, IF it helps them not inconvenience you anymore. But you see it as a negative- it’s not something you want to do, so naturally you’ll find any excuse to exempt yourself from it. You won’t help if they want cash, or if they won’t slave for you for it, or if they might come back, or if they DID come back, or if they could be getting help somewhere else, or if they seem like they could be working, or if they smell funny, or if they’re addicted, or if they’ve been on the street for too long, or if they seem lazy, or if they should be trying harder. Right?

It kind of reminds me of a guy I know who claims he likes to trap— but he only does it if he’s not too busy, it’s not too cold, too wet, too snowy, too dark, or too far to drive. The truth is we all pick our priorities, and our priorities define our values. If generosity and selflessness are not among your values, then that’s ok. We’re all different. Just be honest about yourself.

But some of us have found a personal value in selfless giving, above my own self-superior judgement of who deserves to receive, from my little self to Dan Cathy and Travis Boersma (CEOs of Chik-Fil-A and Dutch Bros Coffee, respectively). We’ve chosen to willfully practice a set of values that you’ve never discovered, and that doesn’t necessarily make us foolish or naive. The only naivety would be thinking we do it for a selfish reason.

Now here is someone who gets it. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171793
02/27/18 07:50 AM
02/27/18 07:50 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If giving money to strangers makes you feel good about yourself then by all means give all you can afford. Just don't delude yourself into thinking your helping them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Good story to start your day [Re: danny clifton] #6171800
02/27/18 08:17 AM
02/27/18 08:17 AM
Ohio
PBS Offline OP
trapper
PBS  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
If giving money to strangers makes you feel good about yourself then by all means give all you can afford. Just don't delude yourself into thinking your helping them.

Geez man, by that rationale, why do anything for any stranger whatsoever even if it only costs you a couple of bucks? To each his own I guess. smile

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: danny clifton] #6171820
02/27/18 08:58 AM
02/27/18 08:58 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota

You are painting "strangers" with a pretty broad brush. I guess I'm just a natural helper and I have helped a lot of people I don't know. I'll give you one example that happened to me many years ago that changed my perspective.

I was in college and struggling to pay my bills, driving 60 miles back and forth every day to classes while trying to support a wife and three kids at the time. (I was 30 years old when I went to college after trapping full time up until then).

I pulled into the gas station to fill my little Datsun pickup with gas and beside me was a woman with two ornery, unkempt, undisciplined kids with grubby clothes and messy hair. Her car was a mess and I immediately looked down my nose at her and labelled her has a "welfare mom," a way of looking at people with disgust. As I pumped my gas I was stewing about people like that when I was overcome by guilt. It was if God slapped me and said, "Who are you to judge? You are living on food stamps and student loans yourself. You're not perfect by any means. You have no idea what these people go through every day. I love this woman and her kids with all their faults, why can't you love them too?"

It was an aha moment that took place nearly 30 years ago but it changed my life. I went into the gas station and paid for her gas. I left without saying anything but I had an hour's drive home to think about that moment and how I don't view people the way God does. He accepts us as we are, He loves us as we are. But because he loves us, He wants to show us a better way to live. I no longer think it's my job to judge others or try to determine who is worthy of my love, my gifts or money, food, labor or whatever. I don't even worry that what I might be doing would in some small way enable bad behavior. I'll do what pleases God, be generous and helping, and let Him sort it out.

Re: Good story to start your day [Re: PBS] #6171883
02/27/18 10:17 AM
02/27/18 10:17 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Well said Bernie. I agree with you 100%.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread