No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177050
03/04/18 12:57 AM
03/04/18 12:57 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
fingertrapper  Offline OP
trapper
F

North Carolina
KS2, first question the answer is that I wait until I see pollen coming in on workers and then close at night and move to a bee yard. Second question is related. They will be in a deep hive body box, so once they are in their new location it is just a matter of switching boxes. The old frames in the box serve multiple purposes, one of which is to help them stay straight. They might not, so I open them a couple of days after moving and check that they have not cross combed. At that time I will replace empty frames with drawn comb if I have them and if not, new frames with foundation. On your last question I would either try a trap out or wait and see if they cast a swarm. Collecting a swarm is different than catching a swarm, IMO. If you want to catch one they cast, going further away is better than close. I prefer at least a half mile.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Burke
Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: gregh] #6177055
03/04/18 01:00 AM
03/04/18 01:00 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: gregh
On the subject of swarm traps, higher might be better but I set all of mine chest high. They are easier to set and check for me. I had 17 swarms last year that did not mind them being chest high.

You are correct. I put mine at eye level for me which is 6 feet, give or take. But I like up on a flat roof if one is around. They don't have to be high, it probably helps, and it definitely doesn't hurt. Top of a wood fencepost works fine too. Just don't set them on the ground.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Burke
Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177057
03/04/18 01:04 AM
03/04/18 01:04 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Oh, KS2, if you get supers use two boxes per trap. Studies have shown that most swarms will pass on a super sized cavity. A deep box is more appropriately sized for their needs. Again, others might catch them with smaller boxes, but why go small when research shows us the average size preferred?

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177090
03/04/18 02:28 AM
03/04/18 02:28 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
Originally Posted By: fingertrapper
Originally Posted By: gregh
On the subject of swarm traps, higher might be better but I set all of mine chest high. They are easier to set and check for me. I had 17 swarms last year that did not mind them being chest high.

You are correct. I put mine at eye level for me which is 6 feet, give or take. But I like up on a flat roof if one is around. They don't have to be high, it probably helps, and it definitely doesn't hurt. Top of a wood fencepost works fine too. Just don't set them on the ground.

I would like to set them on a stump but they are too visible to two legged varmints so Most end up getting set on the ground. Still I get swarms.

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177105
03/04/18 03:55 AM
03/04/18 03:55 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
My first hive went queenless and had a laying worker and nothing but drone brood, It turned into a mite hotel. I would not of put those bees in a good hive, mostly drones anyway.

I have one hive still alive for now and living on sugar bricks and two nucs I have yet to check but I fear they are gone.
Have two packages coming in Late April, love to shake me some bee's

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177124
03/04/18 06:51 AM
03/04/18 06:51 AM
Southern Indiana
C
coonbeaverrat Offline
trapper
coonbeaverrat  Offline
trapper
C

Southern Indiana
For laying workers, I say workers because if there is one there are usually other in the same hive. They don't decide to become laying workers. This happens when the pheromones of the queen is no longer present in the hive. The ovaries in worker bees enlarge and become active. However she is only laying drone eggs. A good way to solve the problem is to stack the hive body containing the laying work on top of a hive with a queen. Place screen wire between the two hives and make sure the hive on top and the hive on bottom both have their own entrance to get in and out. Leave them this way for 2-3 weeks.
The pheromones from the hive with the true queen will drift up through the hive with the laying workers causing their ovaries to shrink and egg production stop. Once again she is just a worker. After 2-3 weeks check for eggs in the laying worker box and if none are found remove the screen wire from between the two hives. The bees will combine together fine because they all have the smell of the same queen on them.

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177181
03/04/18 09:03 AM
03/04/18 09:03 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
we have top bar warre hives,anybody else use these.

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177193
03/04/18 09:27 AM
03/04/18 09:27 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I have built a couple warres but never put bees in them.

[Linked Image]
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177218
03/04/18 09:49 AM
03/04/18 09:49 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Tulips, I hear what you are saying. Up off the ground is best, but bees will move into any cavity they like. So if setting on the ground is ideal in your situation obviously it works for you.

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: newfox1] #6177221
03/04/18 09:51 AM
03/04/18 09:51 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: newfox1
we have top bar warre hives,anybody else use these.

I have only run langs. On the scale of hives I want to run, plus what their intended use is for me means that the industry standard is what I need to use.

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: yukonjeff] #6177226
03/04/18 09:54 AM
03/04/18 09:54 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
My first hive went queenless and had a laying worker and nothing but drone brood, It turned into a mite hotel. I would not of put those bees in a good hive, mostly drones anyway.

I have one hive still alive for now and living on sugar bricks and two nucs I have yet to check but I fear they are gone.
Have two packages coming in Late April, love to shake me some bee's

In this situation a shake out is the best option. You can keep the workers and get rid of all the drones in the capped larva stage, thus eliminating the mites. But, you have to catch it early enough. Good luck on your remaining hives

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: coonbeaverrat] #6177229
03/04/18 09:58 AM
03/04/18 09:58 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Originally Posted By: coonbeaverrat
For laying workers, I say workers because if there is one there are usually other in the same hive. They don't decide to become laying workers. This happens when the pheromones of the queen is no longer present in the hive. The ovaries in worker bees enlarge and become active. However she is only laying drone eggs. A good way to solve the problem is to stack the hive body containing the laying work on top of a hive with a queen. Place screen wire between the two hives and make sure the hive on top and the hive on bottom both have their own entrance to get in and out. Leave them this way for 2-3 weeks.
The pheromones from the hive with the true queen will drift up through the hive with the laying workers causing their ovaries to shrink and egg production stop. Once again she is just a worker. After 2-3 weeks check for eggs in the laying worker box and if none are found remove the screen wire from between the two hives. The bees will combine together fine because they all have the smell of the same queen on them.

Good information and advice. What you are describing is correct and the method works. Me personally, I don't have the time or patience for this method. I also have enough hives to have options and can more easily force them into the method I want to do and usually get the outcome I want. If all you have is a couple of hives you must be more cautious as not to destroy the one you have right.

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177232
03/04/18 10:01 AM
03/04/18 10:01 AM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina

Laying workers on a tree one week after shaking them out. These bees didn't know how to return to the hive location once dumped because I had moved it a week prior to the shake out.

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177650
03/04/18 03:56 PM
03/04/18 03:56 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
Is any one down around Marshall tx. Going to the mannlake store for the in store madness sale?

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177683
03/04/18 04:24 PM
03/04/18 04:24 PM
Galliano,Louisiana
BudGuidry Offline
trapper
BudGuidry  Offline
trapper

Galliano,Louisiana
Got a swarm 2 days ago. Started here
I like swarm commander lures and lemon oil

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177687
03/04/18 04:27 PM
03/04/18 04:27 PM
Galliano,Louisiana
BudGuidry Offline
trapper
BudGuidry  Offline
trapper

Galliano,Louisiana

Last year, one on the bucket wouldn't fit in the nuc

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177838
03/04/18 07:34 PM
03/04/18 07:34 PM
North Carolina
F
fingertrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper
F

North Carolina
Nice swarms Bud!

I lost two more weak ones this week during our cold snap. They couldn't cover the brood and succumbed to the cold.

Let's go do something.
Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6177929
03/04/18 09:05 PM
03/04/18 09:05 PM
Ky
W
WHSKR Offline
trapper
WHSKR  Offline
trapper
W

Ky
Still pretty cool up here. Took 13 colonies into winter as of today all 13 still active. Two looked a bit weak at the entrances. Temp got to 64 today so I went into the two weak looking hives and man are they light on stores. Fed some honey on February 15 and a quart of sugar water to them both a week later thank goodness. One had a bad mouse nest and the other was booming with capped brood nothing hatching just yet. The other the weaker of the two had a couple frames of a good pattern and all open brood but very light on stores. Mice tore up some so cleaned it out and reduced it to one deep. We are a good month away here from swarm season as it appears now but bees are packing in pollen but not much nectar.
If we get all 13 colonies through it will be awesome we took each hive last fall and gave it what we though was equal stored honey above the brood nest and had late summer queen breaks to help fight any mites. So far so good. I intend to double apiary from 13 to 25 hives this year.

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6178115
03/04/18 11:48 PM
03/04/18 11:48 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
I built 16 swarm traps today. I still have to prep them, paint them and make a metal top for each.
Im like a lot of folks, lost my last hive this winter but looking for a new start this spring.

Re: All things bees and beekeeping... [Re: fingertrapper] #6178177
03/05/18 02:25 AM
03/05/18 02:25 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Question for the beekeepers.

do you look for places to keep hives?

would a 3 acre field full of native grasses and forbs (flowers) that is surrounded by woods and free from pesticides interest a keeper?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread