No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249383
05/28/18 07:20 PM
05/28/18 07:20 PM
Montana
B
B. Shope Offline
trapper
B. Shope  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Happy with the western cats and yotes

The Green Eyed Trapper
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249385
05/28/18 07:22 PM
05/28/18 07:22 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I can only say what I get for my fur here.My avg for the beaver I sent to the recent sale at FHA was Just under $30 cdn.Add 10 for castor that is close to a 40 dollar avg for each beaver.
I kept smaller sizes and damaged to tan,this works for me.I make more on the tanned fur than the raw,but of course it is value added product with time invested.When the price of raw fur climbs again my tanned fur inventory will be stocked hopefully until the next downturn.If you want to take advantage of the international auction,listen to what they tell you about what type of pelts their buyers are willing to pay for,And just ship that.If you ship stuff that they cannot sell you will be disappointed.There are always other markets for the pelts that the auction buyers are not interested in.
So you can target what is in demand,like coyote,marten, cats, etc,depending on where you trap.You can trap later to target prime pelts,and you can cull out poor\dmg\small fur and either toss it,find another market(like sell in the round\hatter etc),or self tan for own use,put together a fur kit for educational purposes, etc.
I can honestly say I have never lost money trapping.

Last edited by Boco; 05/28/18 07:36 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Boco] #6249392
05/28/18 07:40 PM
05/28/18 07:40 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted By: Boco
I can only say what I get for my fur here.My avg for the beaver I sent to the recent sale at FHA was Just under $30 cdn.Add 10 for castor that is close to a 40 dollar avg for each beaver.
I kept smaller sizes and damaged to tan,this works for me.I make more on the tanned fur than the raw,but of course it is value added product with time invested.When the price of raw fur climbs again my tanned fur inventory will be stocked hopefully until the next downturn.If you want to take advantage of the international auction,listen to what they tell you about what type of pelts their buyers are willing to pay for,And just ship that.If you ship stuff that they cannot sell you will be disappointed.There are always other markets for the pelts that the auction buyers are not interested in.
So you can target what is in demand,like coyote,marten, cats, etc,depending on where you trap.You can trap later to target prime pelts,and you can cull out poor\dmg\small fur and either toss it,find another market(like sell in the round\hatter etc),or self tan for own use,put together a fur kit for educational purposes, etc.
I can honestly say I have never lost money trapping.

BOCO Is The Man !!!! laugh

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249433
05/28/18 08:42 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
My coyotes graded down and were off about 20% on average. My cats graded high and were up substantially.

Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249434
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
You know Boco both Auctions said the fur I sent them was in demand at good prices; before I trapped it. Both Auctions were wrong; or we got the all too familiar buyer collusion to fix prices going on again?

Who is John Galt?
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249455
05/28/18 09:13 PM
05/28/18 09:13 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Price fixing? I don't think so or everything would have sold.

I think they have an abundance to pick from and don't need much for any of it.

I was being hopeful and sent some in, I was wrong. I should have thrown them all away and been done with it.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 05/28/18 09:13 PM.

-Goofy-
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249462
05/28/18 09:24 PM
05/28/18 09:24 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
When beaver crashed in the 1800's the trappers went to scouting (baby-sitting)for the army and guiding wagon trains.

Lot of work in these urban areas relocating and excluding squirrels, excluding bats, catching the evil black snake sunning on the patio etc.

A lot of those old trappers didn't want to babysit dumb soldiers and immigrants so they just lived best they could with indian wives off in some remote place.

I don't want to listen to some soccer mom fret about the coon litter I just got out of her attic no matter how lucrative it is. Luckily I can make my money other ways and trap for me. I managed to break even this year which is lots better than losing money. Think I could have made a little if I hadn't been so sick.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6249502
05/28/18 10:01 PM
05/28/18 10:01 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: HobbieTrapper
Price fixing? I don't think so or everything would have sold.

I think they have an abundance to pick from and don't need much for any of it.

I was being hopeful and sent some in, I was wrong. I should have thrown them all away and been done with it.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Why do you think NAFA tried sealed bids in March? True, buyers who would smuggle fur into their country to avoid taxes, would never stoop so low as to collude to fix prices at an Auction. crazy

Who is John Galt?
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249512
05/28/18 10:18 PM
05/28/18 10:18 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I don't trust the chinamen or Russians.Sneaky bunch.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: So were you happy with fur sales? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #6249792
05/29/18 12:04 PM
05/29/18 12:04 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Seems like i remember the US government issuing some warrants over fur buyers price fixing

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread