Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6257262 - 06/10/18 08:42 AM Off season practice
DEWNMOUTAIN Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitowoc, wisconsin
Morning everyone,

Does anyone else practice setting lures, digging trapsets, setting traps, etc.

coon 5
coyotes 2
Muskrats 2
Skunks 3
Beaver 1
Fox 1

#6257275 - 06/10/18 08:54 AM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
Pasadena Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio, 49yrs old
I do not. In the beginning I may be slower but after putting in a few sets it is right back to normal. My hands hurt after the first day of setting from not setting traps though.

#6257338 - 06/10/18 10:50 AM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
The Beav Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I think what a guy should do Is practice making sets In the off season. When you approach a location you should have everything you need to make that set.
I have a buddy that's all over the location looking for a stick or a tuff of grass or maybe a rock for guiding purposes. I can be back In the truck before he even gets his trap In the ground. Leaving to much scent around In my opinion Is a No NO. And of coarse getting to more locations and getting more traps In the ground Is even more important.

#6257522 - 06/10/18 04:32 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
trapperjdb Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
I find myself doing it every early fall. I practice making coyote sets, especially bedding the trap. Last summer I learned a easy way to bed a trap quickly and rock solid from Andy Weiser. Iím almost 50 and still learning the trade.

#6258021 - 06/11/18 02:06 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
Hern Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsyltucky
I pre-make Canine trap beds, dirtholes, post sets and such and prepare locations just before the start of the season. Not sure if you call that practice, I call it pre-season work.
Be ready when the bell sounds.
-Neil Olson

#6258036 - 06/11/18 02:26 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
trappergbus Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Michigan
Practice bedding the trap rock solid until it becomes muscle memory!

Edited by trappergbus (06/11/18 02:27 PM)

#6258084 - 06/11/18 03:38 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: Hern]
TheBig1 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kingston, PA
Originally Posted By: Hern
I pre-make Canine trap beds, dirtholes, post sets and such and prepare locations just before the start of the season. Not sure if you call that practice, I call it pre-season work.
Be ready when the bell sounds.
-Neil Olson

Hern, do you also set your anchors so that all you have to do is hook on the trap and bed it?

#6258401 - 06/12/18 06:50 AM Re: Off season practice [Re: TheBig1]
Hern Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsyltucky
yes

#6258823 - 06/12/18 09:28 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
Furvor Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho Falls, ID
Carving a few snare trails through thick brush far ahead of season can yield an extra cat or two.

#6259616 - 06/14/18 06:06 AM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
wetdog Offline
trapper

Loc: perry co.Pa
Video yourself setting a trap.
By watching the video over and over you will see for yourself where you need to improve.
KISS and practice make perfect.

#6261608 - 06/17/18 11:40 AM Re: Off season practice [Re: The Beav]
Zimmer Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: The Beav
I think what a guy should do Is practice making sets In the off season. When you approach a location you should have everything you need to make that set.
I have a buddy that's all over the location looking for a stick or a tuff of grass or maybe a rock for guiding purposes. I can be back In the truck before he even gets his trap In the ground. Leaving to much scent around In my opinion Is a No NO. And of coarse getting to more locations and getting more traps In the ground Is even more important.

I agree 110% - I typically do not practice set making prior to the opener and that's a mistake for me - this yr I'm practicing a bit so I've got my rhythm right from go - I trap off my wheeler and use big plastic cargo boxes, one in front and a bigger one on the back - when I arrive at a location I pretty much know where those sets are going and have what I need to put them in how I want them - I also know what sets and attractants I'm using before I get to the location - I walk around the location as little as possible and try to minimize time making sets.

#6261787 - 06/17/18 06:25 PM Re: Off season practice [Re: DEWNMOUTAIN]
trapper les Offline
trapper

Loc: williams,mn
Originally Posted By: DEWNMOUTAIN
Morning everyone,

Does anyone else practice setting lures, digging trapsets, setting traps, etc.
Nope, I dive into it with reckless abandon, as wide open as I can go, trying to remember just what exactly it was that worked good last time.

I just get quick at doing the same things repetitively to get more efficient.

I am usually out of shape, so I prop myself up with advil, coffee, and jelly rolls, and junk food....in order to stay healthy on the line.

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie