Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats #6260924
06/16/18 09:34 AM
06/16/18 09:34 AM
Texas
M
mrnapolean1 Offline OP
trapper
mrnapolean1  Offline OP
trapper
M

Texas
Im new to trapping and want to learn the tips and tricks of the trade.

What do yall use as a lure and bait for Bobcats? Are there any common items that could be used as these?
Not sure what to use for a lure but I was told by a friend to use raw chicken/beef.

I have a pair of Minnesota MB 55--RC offsets. What mods do yall recommend for these for Bobcats? Or can I use these as is?

Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6260986
06/16/18 11:49 AM
06/16/18 11:49 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If you don't want to spend much go to the dollar store and buy some canned jack mackerel. lennon lures work. I pretty much fence cats onto my traps with whatever materials are handy.

trap will go in the gap of this wet weather creek bed

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261092
06/16/18 03:46 PM
06/16/18 03:46 PM
Texas
M
mrnapolean1 Offline OP
trapper
mrnapolean1  Offline OP
trapper
M

Texas
Thanks for the info. Another question, Where I will be trapping the ground is composed of hard cracked black dirt/clay (for those that live near Dallas knows what Im talking about) whats the best way to conceal the trap in the dirt?

EDIT: Do you know of any store around the dallas Fort Worth area that sells the Lennon lures? Or is it going to be an online thing?

Last edited by mrnapolean1; 06/16/18 03:48 PM.
Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261114
06/16/18 05:13 PM
06/16/18 05:13 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: danny clifton] #6261136
06/16/18 06:02 PM
06/16/18 06:02 PM
Texas
M
mrnapolean1 Offline OP
trapper
mrnapolean1  Offline OP
trapper
M

Texas
Youre awesome! Just what I was seeking. Thanks!

Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261261
06/16/18 10:35 PM
06/16/18 10:35 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261262
06/16/18 10:38 PM
06/16/18 10:38 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: mrnapolean1

Not sure what to use for a lure but I was told by a friend to use raw chicken/beef.

Those are baits, NOT lures. Lures typically have gland material and bait is food.

I have a pair of Minnesota MB 55--RC offsets. What mods do yall recommend for these for Bobcats? Or can I use these as is?

as is

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261337
06/17/18 02:35 AM
06/17/18 02:35 AM
Texas
E
etxwoods Offline
trapper
etxwoods  Offline
trapper
E

Texas
If you want to get some 1st hand info, come join us at the Texas Trappers & Fur Hunters Assoc. Fall Rendezvous at Brownwood on Oct. 12 & 13. I'm pretty sure there will be at least one demo covering bobcat trapping, maybe more. Plus there will be several of the best cat trappers in Texas and surrounding states whose brain you can pick as well as some nationally known lure and bait makers attending. There will be traps, lure, baits and a bunch of other stuff for sale that you may need. I wouldn't start ordering a lot of equipment & supplies, including instructional videos, until you have the opportunity to do some Q&A face to face with people who know cat trapping, and it helps if they know your country too. I live abt 2 hours east of you, and, tho our soil types and woods differ, would be happy to share info with you at the meeting. You will find conflicting opinions from good trappers on many subjects. Probably none of them are wrong; some methods, some traps, some attractors just work better for one guy than they do for the next, and vice versa. That doesn't mean that one or both are wrong, just that they learned different methods to get the same desired results. The 2 MB 550 traps you mentioned are the favorite of many coyote & bobcat trappers. There are some others as good or better, and some guys favor larger sizes. Be checking the TTFHA website for upcoming announcements regarding the mtg in Brownwood. You can also join TTFHA via our website. If you have problems finding the info you need, or have other questions, use the personal message feature provided here on T-man to send me your name & phone # and I will call you to provide whatever assistance I can. There is much to learn about trapping, I fact, you can study the various aspects of it all your life and never learn it all. Think abt this a minute, so it soaks in real good: One of the most productive bobcat sets I and many other trappers use does not require any scent or other type attractor at all. Another very important thing you need to figure out is how you gonna keep your traps working in black gumbo mud after a heavy rain (if we ever get another one)? The 1 blessing I see in this is that our bobcats reach prime fur quality beginning around Christmas-New Years Day and holds well until about April 1, so you've several months to get better informed and equipped .

Re: Recommendations for Luring and Baiting Bobcats [Re: mrnapolean1] #6261524
06/17/18 11:03 AM
06/17/18 11:03 AM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
that's some good solid advice etxwoods