No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Banning Fur in New York #6274762
07/08/18 08:52 AM
07/08/18 08:52 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York

Is not now the time to have the wild fur takers disassociate themselves from the thing they don't do anyway (fur farming) or watch fur disappear completely? If to salvage the legitimacy of the taking of surplus animals in a Godly way for "fur and often food?" The lemmings of our coastal cities aren't bad, they're just brainwashed in the wrong direction.

I've walked through the "fur district" in Manhattan almost every day for the past 12 years to get to my office and it is sad, I understand. I also understand the people who "sell fur" aren't trappers and could really care less often times (I've spoken with many of them and quite frankly have no interest in knowing most of those I've met).

But could not the banning of all fur in NY be the tipping-point for the rest of the world to put that "final nail" in the coffin of commercially trade-able fur? To me the layman it looks like it's a freight train coming in slow motion.

NY Trying to Ban Fur - Tipping Point

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274876
07/08/18 12:22 PM
07/08/18 12:22 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
In the current world environment that we all share the Mad Max movies look like a more accurate possibility they peace on earth it's sad to say! Buy more ammo just to be safe. LOL

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274880
07/08/18 12:36 PM
07/08/18 12:36 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
My whole thought here was...

1.) NY can be a tipping point and starting point for just about everything. With all the media and 8.5MM liberals (minus me), they can push (through media, so it's erroneous but it gets out there) a bolder in 2 seconds. Couple that with NY being "known" as the fur capital of the United States in the hearts and minds of the layman, and it is really like "taking out the king" if you kill it here.

2.) NY is about to (apparently) introduce legislation to ban fur in NYC which is really like "chopping off the head of the snake" of the fur case. The fur industry here is so weak it appears (again to me the layman) that I bet the people who own all the buildings the furriers are in can't wait to force them out so they can sell them to China developers to build more glass residential overpriced ghost buildings. Check every other block in town these days.

3.) So why not: If NYS Trapping Association has a full time lobbyist in Albany, do they not immediately (and maybe they are, I'm just having conversation here) pitch the Strong distinction between Wild Fur and Farmed Fur? Because if not, it will all disappear (they did it in SF already). See if you can destroy the argument of the "antis" by saying...Wild Fur has nothing to do with the practices you're talking about," then they'll have no argument.

I was also thinking this might be why they're starting lately to demonize fur, while propping up "recreational coyote hunting" over hunting for a purpose.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274903
07/08/18 01:03 PM
07/08/18 01:03 PM
MN
FlyinFinn Offline
trapper
FlyinFinn  Offline
trapper

MN
The banning of fur may invigorate the black market and create opportunity to make real money. As you walk through the former new york fur district with muskrat hats stuffed under your trench coat and your pockets stuffed with cash it may make you smile. Illicit drug trade could be used as a case study on how banning anything can have the exact opposite effect on the price of the commodity.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274908
07/08/18 01:11 PM
07/08/18 01:11 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
That article is an opinion piece if you go to the original. The writer isn't advocating a ban in NY but a ban in NYC. I think there is enough money involved the city council isn't about to do such a thing.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274912
07/08/18 01:18 PM
07/08/18 01:18 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
1.) It happened in SF and and other cities already. Other places besides just SF.

2.) NYC has nothing to do with NYS in this regard, it's about "hearts and minds."

3.) NYC does the most communist stuff you've ever seen. Hopefully this won't work, but if ever there were a time for the argument I suggested, I would pose it to be now. All I'm saying is I think that argument should be out there and it's not. It's just not here.

People in NY think all fur is from bad men ripping out of animals as they skin them alive. Or essentially that. It's ZERO education or understanding.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274915
07/08/18 01:21 PM
07/08/18 01:21 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
nyhuntfish why don't you write an opinion piece and see if the newspaper will print it?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274928
07/08/18 01:47 PM
07/08/18 01:47 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would do it.

And The DN ain't printing anything pro-American, I can assure you of that. Maybe if I defame the President in the article they'll do it. There's an idea.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274946
07/08/18 02:16 PM
07/08/18 02:16 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
I think this is sad, but likely not the end of the world. Will New York City ban fur? Maybe, as anything is possible these days and San Francisco did just that not that long ago. The writer clearly has an agenda she is pushing, and I would be curious where she is getting her data. Things like 60% of all Americans think trapping is cruel seems a stretch, but I suppose if you are targeting a certain group from which to pool data you can get that number. Personally, I think the majority of American's don't hold much of an opinion on trapping either way.

Even if New York City bans fur I don't know that it really changes much in the overall fur trade. The majority of fur these days, both wild and ranched, is used in China and Russia. There are a few other countries in the game, but these seem to be the big players. The good news is the population base of these countries seems to care little what others think: they like fur and buy it when they can afford it. Let's face it there just isn't much of a fur market in the United States and the majority of Europe anymore. There are some exceptions of course such as Canada Goose, but overall the majority of Americans just aren't buying fur. A change in marketing tactics, and more affordable fur trimmed garments could change things some, but for the near term it seems our fur market is driven far more by Asia than it is by NYC.

What this article does do is show to remind us all that the animal rights groups aren't going away anytime soon and that they are working hard to end the fur trade anyway they can. There have been several big anti-trapping bills defeated over the last few years, and now more than ever it's important we stick together and fight when the time comes.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: FlyinFinn] #6274964
07/08/18 02:46 PM
07/08/18 02:46 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted By: FlyinFinn
The banning of fur may invigorate the black market and create opportunity to make real money. As you walk through the former new york fur district with muskrat hats stuffed under your trench coat and your pockets stuffed with cash it may make you smile. Illicit drug trade could be used as a case study on how banning anything can have the exact opposite effect on the price of the commodity.
You can't be serious

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6274995
07/08/18 03:59 PM
07/08/18 03:59 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
I agree with Cameron.

I'm more concerned about what would be the real-world results of the proactive and consistent demonization of trapping in America, than banning the sale of fur alone.

And furthermore this latest trend to make trapping and coyote hunting, "recreational."

It's like once they do that, then they'll come for hunting, then pistols, then long guns, except this time....because they've degraded everything else it will be them: with the ammo.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275023
07/08/18 05:06 PM
07/08/18 05:06 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
You should be concerned,we should all be concerned,but the majority won't be.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275030
07/08/18 05:16 PM
07/08/18 05:16 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Interesting: About a gazillion 20-something "professional" (college type) girls in NYC wore "the Canada Goose coat" this past winter with the Wild Coyote fur collar lining. It was The-Thing in NYC. The "crocs" or "yoga pants" or "Burkin bag" or "Louis Vuitton" of 2017 if you will. Except $800 or whatever.

It was insane; they were everywhere. I attribute it to GOOS getting free bank money from going public, but that wasn't my point. My point was: Hearts and minds.

If the youth can be convinced of the legitimacy and connection wild fur (from surplus animals) brings them, they will buy it. They bought these coats knowing nothing.

This particular tide is turn-able.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275111
07/08/18 07:48 PM
07/08/18 07:48 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Fur banned, then next hunting, then why does anyone need guns. The vein runs deep.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275129
07/08/18 08:12 PM
07/08/18 08:12 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Nyhuntfish, Where is the Fur district in Manhattan? I've probably walked by it a hundred times and didn't know.
I'm hoping to be out there next month for my daughter's follow up at Sloan.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: joepennanti] #6275163
07/08/18 08:57 PM
07/08/18 08:57 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
The liberal pieces of scat have in many ways kicked off the banning of any-legitimacy-of-Trump, guns, continued demand for land ownership, cigarettes in public places, knives over 4", capitalism as a whole, every conservative issue, the Catholic church remaining traditional, etc etc.

It being trash (which it absolutely is) has nothing to do with the sentiment it will build.

Anyone from the east coast knows these things roll like storms. Erroneously, wrongly, but they do. Which is why it being an "opinion piece" in NY means nothing; They wouldn't let it in the trash-paper if they weren't trying to push it. This ain't a small town newspaper.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275177
07/08/18 09:08 PM
07/08/18 09:08 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Farmers are taking a beating due to Tariffs now our domestic users are going to be banned from using products from American Farmers as well? We should be lobbying at the federal level to make it illegal to outlaw fur use, use the interstate commerce law, we have a few lawyers in this group, is this do able?

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6275178
07/08/18 09:10 PM
07/08/18 09:10 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I also do not think throwing fur farmers under the bus is a productive way to move forward, hitch our wagons together and hope we can all survive this assault.

Re: Banning Fur in New York [Re: nyhuntfish] #6285866
07/24/18 09:05 AM
07/24/18 09:05 AM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Sanfan is sad, dumb, guys are gals and gals are guys what would you expect.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread