No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293568
08/03/18 03:27 PM
08/03/18 03:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I know that Shane, just saying how trappers operate here.Thats why I asked in an earlier post how your resource is managed when several trappers are hitting the same resource if you don't know what the other guys are taking.
One response was that trapping is not done away from roads so the resource is hit hard in certain areas and under undertrapped in others so there will be a certain amount of backfill.This is known as the refugia method of management and can work if habitat is not too fragmented.It fails for certain species in certain years when there is a widespread crash in prey species and adult animals abandon their home range.
The refugia method works well for beaver,if you have a handle on the number of live colonys in and outside the refugia.

Last edited by Boco; 08/03/18 03:29 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293573
08/03/18 03:39 PM
08/03/18 03:39 PM
ky
R
Redsleeves Offline
trapper
Redsleeves  Offline
trapper
R

ky
Boco, I walk allot of my line, some can be and is miles from the rd. Also remote boat line on the river near my home. I don't predator trap anymore due to some dimographic changes in recent yrs. except on my place and try to catch a few cats,But water trap all species love to mink trap but set for every thang as I go. I'm the only trapper living in my county and can usually count on want numbers I'll have. But my coon population has went through the roof due to a change in management practises and some agg changes. It's challenging to try to figure how many I need to catch too better fill the need. But it is very interesting that you talk about management for optimal harvest, not many people talk about that but it is something I've noticed over the yrs my self. Too many yrs with no harvest has a negative effect same as over harvest! From what I've seen,there's always more and better fur the yr after a place has been trapped after several yrs absence.
Colt

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: Boco] #6293595
08/03/18 04:26 PM
08/03/18 04:26 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted By: Boco
I know that Shane, just saying how trappers operate here.Thats why I asked in an earlier post how your resource is managed when several trappers are hitting the same resource if you don't know what the other guys are taking.
One response was that trapping is not done away from roads so the resource is hit hard in certain areas and under undertrapped in others so there will be a certain amount of backfill.This is known as the refugia method of management and can work if habitat is not too fragmented.It fails for certain species in certain years when there is a widespread crash in prey species and adult animals abandon their home range.
The refugia method works well for beaver,if you have a handle on the number of live colonys in and outside the refugia.

Ah, I didn't see where it had been discussed on this thread.

It seems like the refugia method would have limitations for species with larger home ranges then correct?

I am going to hit the coons hard close to home just to keep them from making an all you can eat buffet out of the crawfish ponds and the neighborhood chickens, cat food bowls, and garbage cans. I can't afford to try and manage the population in my whole area of the State with no market for the fur and a limited market for the meat. If we could just get back to 14 dollar pelt averages like in 12-13 for the raccoons in this area I would sure try to singlehandedley prevent overpopulation in this part of the State lol. Honestly if I could get a true average of 10 dollars a pelt I would try and pile them up.

I really love blind setting raccoon with my Duke 1.5's and Victor #2 Longs. I am excited to get back after them some this season. Whatever happens with the market happens. I will market the largest coon pelts and sell all the meat I can. I have no clue what to do with the rest of the pelts though.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: Boco] #6293597
08/03/18 04:30 PM
08/03/18 04:30 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Boco
Since I harvest good amounts of fur,I sent the valuable beaver and mink(and wolf etc) to the market,and kept what I can make money on as value added.(these are the skins that are perfectly good skins but are severely discounted in todays market due to slt dmg,smaller size or not optimally prime).Large heavy beaver with no dmg sell good at auction.And the mink brought a $20 avg for the ones I sent which is good(for me)Mink are easy to tan,but their use in the native market is not based on primeness,so any prime ones wont sell for any more than the II's in that market.So the good ones(the ones the raw fur market wants)go to the auction.
Like I stated you have to manage the trapline properly to have good numbers of animals on the line year after year.Selling like I do maximizes my profit margin,and protects my investment in my registered line by keeping the line healthy.
I have seen what happens to lines that are neglected thru mismanagement(underharvesting).They don't produce nearly the amount of fur that a well managed line does year in and year out.
If you are managing a trapline for maximum sustainable harvest year in and year out,you don't manage solely on the price of the pelts on the raw fur market.If you did that you would be overharvesting when the prices were high and underharvesting when the prices were low,which both will harm the long term maximum sustainability of the resource in the long run.All species need to be managed to keep the line healthy.
Of course I realize in some jurisdictions where you are not the front line conservationist on your line there may be no incentive to manage for long term maximum harvest sustainability.

What your saying is could lose less money by sending wolves, mink, and beaver where your best beaver and mink averaged a whopping $20?

P.s. Thanks for your line management suggestions. I will file them in the usual place.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/03/18 04:41 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293604
08/03/18 04:46 PM
08/03/18 04:46 PM
ME.
W
WBG Offline
trapper
WBG  Offline
trapper
W

ME.
Nobody has averaged 20 dollars on any sizeable collection of wild Mink since spring of 2014, and few then.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293637
08/03/18 05:37 PM
08/03/18 05:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I will target and ship good mink again this coming year.I don't mind a 20 dollar bill for mink in the current market for the good ones.

Shipping good quality pelts keeps the avg higher.
Dirt,I've never lost money trapping and beaver avg including castor was around $40 for what I shipped.
Don't send the smalls and poorer pelts when the market conditions are like now,and your avg will always be a lot higher than what the published overall avg is which includes the poorer fur.I never pay attention to what the published auction house avg is,I am just interested on the avg I receive.
Proper marketing of your fur and good resource management over the long term=profit.
Dirt,why are you trapping if your not able to make money at it?

Last edited by Boco; 08/03/18 05:52 PM.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293698
08/03/18 07:05 PM
08/03/18 07:05 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
Boco respectfully you are full of it smirk

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293717
08/03/18 07:46 PM
08/03/18 07:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Just saying what keeps me in the black.It is quite simple actually but a lot don't seem to grasp.In a down market,ship your good saleable pelts to the raw fur market and find another outlet for the goods that struggle at auction.Some people get it as I have seen posts on here where coon trappers cull out the poorer colours early damaged pelts and the small sizes and only process the saleable pelts.
Anyone who ships fair quantities of fur knows that some pelts bring premium prices in all species,and some are very difficult for the auctions to sell right now.This of course is not always the case,it is cyclical.
Anyone with a little knowledge and experience can grade fur well enough to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.
No BS about it.

Last edited by Boco; 08/03/18 07:49 PM.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293722
08/03/18 07:50 PM
08/03/18 07:50 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
I thought that was referred to as Cherry Picking,lol. Anybody can skew averages throwing out lesser quality or not counting the bought back items. My red fox averaged $22,but I only had one. A certain average based on what was shipped would be more honest,not an overall true average.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293726
08/03/18 07:59 PM
08/03/18 07:59 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I don't brag up avgs,I was just trying to explain how I keep in the black in the fur business in a down market.I have a good outlet for the slts etc that don't warrant the price on the raw fur market.I am able to do the repair like any other furrier on these secondary goods and produce saleable product.Some choose to cull.
If someone tells you they don't want something why would you send it and then complain about the price if it sells at all???
If I wanted to throw out an avg I actually make more on the secondary goods after the value added than the fur shipped to auction,but since I always have more raw product than can be manufactured the better flawless goods go to the auction.
And I realize not everyone has that option,but there are others.I know that in Alaska,where Dirt operates there is a robust market for skin sewn goods,just like in other cold climates.

Last edited by Boco; 08/03/18 08:04 PM.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293893
08/03/18 11:58 PM
08/03/18 11:58 PM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Heard the Chinese economy is headed for a recession. Just when you think it can’t get any worse.

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6293956
08/04/18 05:57 AM
08/04/18 05:57 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
You can be in the black and still not make a livable wage......

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294067
08/04/18 09:50 AM
08/04/18 09:50 AM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
just like farming a lot of the young guys that wasnt introduced to trapping because of poor prices will never trap a lot of old guys that havnt trapped the last few years will never trap again that leaves the guys catching more than they ever have. even if things go up you figure their average wage over 5 years its going to be pretty poor hope its fun because it diffidently isnt for the money. if they worked that hard on a real job they might actaully retire millionaires

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294080
08/04/18 10:03 AM
08/04/18 10:03 AM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Why do the Chinese put such high tariffs on raw fur? Are they trying to encourage their domestic fur farmers....or just because they can?

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294112
08/04/18 10:29 AM
08/04/18 10:29 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The tariff on u.s. ranch mink was reduced to around 5 or 10 percent after the big crackdown in 2013. Apparently ranchers are more effective in getting change.

Probably don't spend all their time encouraging new ranchers to get into the business.

Last edited by Dirt; 08/04/18 10:32 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: pass-thru] #6294122
08/04/18 10:37 AM
08/04/18 10:37 AM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Originally Posted By: pass-thru
Why do the Chinese put such high tariffs on raw fur? Are they trying to encourage their domestic fur farmers....or just because they can?

Probably to encourage domestic use. China still produces a lot of fur. It takes a lot of money to buy international fur with auction costs and tariffs. If they buy in china it saves those costs, of course. But their fur quality still isn't as good as the European and American ranch fur.

The face of this fur business is changing and changing fast with poor prices and overproduction. Wonder who will be left standing when all is said and done?

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294170
08/04/18 12:02 PM
08/04/18 12:02 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
I might throw in the towel anyway after the offer I received this morning unless I can make $40-$50 an hour trapping.

Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294175
08/04/18 12:13 PM
08/04/18 12:13 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Quote:
You can be in the black and still not make a livable wage......

That's the way it is for a lot of average "mid-sized" Midwest farmers. Basically a lot of years are "push" years, borrowing some blackjack parlance, they don't actually "lose" money but the profit isn't enough to maintain a middle class life.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294176
08/04/18 12:15 PM
08/04/18 12:15 PM
SE Nebraska
T
trapperne Offline
trapper
trapperne  Offline
trapper
T

SE Nebraska
Well I guess your out because there is no place in the world you can do that fur trapping

Follow me on Facebook @ Lincoln Fur
Re: MARKET UPDATE [Re: GFW - GROENEWOLD] #6294182
08/04/18 12:27 PM
08/04/18 12:27 PM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks