ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Topic Options
Hop to:
#6297990 - 08/09/18 03:39 PM Sherman box traps
joepennanti Offline
trapper

Loc: New York STATE
Anybody ever use any? Can't find many reviews.

#6298051 - 08/09/18 05:03 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
LAtrapper Offline

"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I have used Sherman box traps for many years. They are very effective for shrews, mice, rats, and flying squirrels. I have even caught a few small gray squirrels in them. For me, the biggest problem with them is that they are made out of aluminum. I have had several traps ruined by rodents chewing on the mechanism that holds the entrance door in the open position.

I switched to the Safeguard 53070 Rodent Trap- https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/...iABEgIPh_D_BwE. It is made of galvanized sheet metal, so is much harder to damage.

EDIT: YouTube video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=99&v=INmZ_LHYXJs

Edited by LAtrapper (08/09/18 05:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Added video link

Ron Fry

#6298123 - 08/09/18 06:36 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
joepennanti Offline
trapper

LAtrapper thanks for prompt reply. I had a look at your WCS link and read the reviews on it. I also followed your YouTube video link and watched it.

What size Sherman did you use for gray squirrels? The SafeGuard seems to come in only 1 size: 10"L x 3"W x 3"H; whereas the Shermans are available in several sizes, including a 15"L x 5"W x 5"H.

This wouldn't be for rodent ADC work, I just posted the topic in this sub-forum because I know you ADC pros are knowledgeable when it comes to live traps.

This winter I'll target Long-tailed Weasels and was thinking to release females.

A member here by the user name Waggler has a system where he releases female marten. A 6" x 6" cage trap are the right dimensions for a gloved hand to reach in without the Marten slithering out.

Another member here user name Gulo says Marten and Mink will often skin up their noses really bad in the standard wire cage traps and then they're ruined for taxidermy (and it seems like females would be released with nasal wounds), but that the green pvc pipe eliminates the bald noses.

So that's what got me looking at the Sherman 5x5x15.

#6298240 - 08/09/18 08:25 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper

Loc: Schenectady, NY
Used them while in school. They work. Not sure they offer any real advantages unless you want the catch alive.

#6298274 - 08/09/18 09:02 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
LAtrapper Offline

"Professor"

Loc: Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Joepennanti- I didn’t use the Sherman traps to purposefully target gray squirrels. They were just incidental catches when targeting flying squirrels in attics. I have never used the larger Sherman traps either. I prefer my homemade multi-catch cage traps when removing gray and flying squirrels from homes. We don’t have either weasels or marten down here; mink are pretty scarce in my part of the state too.

Ron Fry

#6298468 - 08/10/18 06:57 AM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
joepennanti Offline
trapper

EatenByLimestone (1 of the stranger user names LOL) do you remember what size trap and what you caught? or if the mechanisms that hold open the entrance doors were chewed?

LAtrapper So those grays fit into a 3x3x10 trap? You're right, they are small. That's chipmunk size here.

Two weeks ago I had a discussion with a member from AL. There probably are weasels in AL. It would be only the Long-tailed species, which are scarce/elusive everywhere in North America. It's the Short-tailed species that are a dime a dozen, with marten trappers catching 100+ as incidentals, but the Short-tailed range doesn't extend to AL.

There's a website that advertises for ADC work in Alabama: "Weasel Control: professional trapping & removal services. Get rid of weasel problems with Critter Control. Serving the Birmingham and Montgomery, Alabama areas" Montgomery is <100mi north of Daleville

Another site: "[Weasels] can be found throughout Alabama, except for the coastal regions... ".

Another ADC site: "How to trap and remove weasels in Alabama... trapping Huntsville weasels is carried out to get rid of them completely..."

A site with a whole thread about chicken coops in Montgomery, Alabama being raided by weasels
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/long-tailed-weasel-giving-me-problems.712665/

#6299544 - 08/11/18 09:04 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper

Loc: Schenectady, NY
Yeah, my user name has been around on various boards since the late 90s. I figure if somebody sees and remembers it, they'll say hi.

I don't remember a size marked on them. They were far from new and had plenty of use sampling mice for an ongoing study that was being done. I don't remember any chew damage done to them, but damaged traps would have been removed from service. We did find an old Sherman in The woods. It had spent at least a year out there and still worked fine.

#6300754 - 08/13/18 01:21 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
ACP Offline
trapper

Loc: Crossville,TN
The traps are great for mice, rats, and chipmunks. You will also catch a few shrews. At my day job we run 300 to 900 per month for 3 days for small mammals research. We are using millet and sunflower seeds so those are not attractive to weasels but they do enter the traps from time to time. I'd be curious on using a different bait.

#6301867 - 08/14/18 03:56 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
joepennanti Offline
trapper

ACP you mean you have 300+ Sherman traps? or that's the number of checks conducted per month? what's the "for 3 days" mean is that how long each trap sits at a specified location?

Millet and sunflower seeds create a presence of rodents whose sight, sounds, and odors are attractive to weasels. What size Sherman and which weasel species are caught in the traps from time to time? Crossville is just northwest of GSMNP and environs, where both Least Weasels and Longtaileds are found.

#6303201 - 08/16/18 09:27 AM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba
300 traps is probably 6 blocks with 50 traps placed out.
Male longtails are a little reservant in entering Sherman small mammal traps
The wire mesh of the live traps is a hazard to the snouts of the mustelides

#6303322 - 08/16/18 11:46 AM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
joepennanti Offline
trapper

The largest Sherman = 5" x 5" x 15". Would you consider that small enough to cause a male longtail to become reservant? They're caught in 4" x 4" body grips.

XL Manitoba male longtails can probably go ~25" from tip to tip. The doors on the Shermans flip up, they go from a flat 180º to a perpendicular 90º.

The Shermans, and that 1 Safeguard model that LAtrapper mentions above, are the only traps that I know of that set and close like that. I believe this would cause them to pull their tails inside as the door closes. No?

#6303932 - 08/17/18 08:10 AM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
ACP Offline
trapper

Loc: Crossville,TN
We run 3 plots per site on a 100 trap grid for 3 nights.Some months we will have 3 sites going. We have sites in Oak Ridge, Tn, the Smokies, and Virginia. It's quite a task but in 4 years we have only caught 1 weasel and that was Virginia

#6304371 - 08/17/18 09:02 PM Re: Sherman box traps [Re: joepennanti]
Northof50 Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba
The traps used were3-3-12” female longtails have been caught because they are the same size as a male ermine