No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: College Assignment Topic--Trapping [Re: Hunting G] #6322694
09/11/18 02:22 PM
09/11/18 02:22 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I think it would be an easy ‘sell’ to discuss muskrats in terms of the (my estimate) over one million muskrats harvested every year. It gives listeners the idea that a 1-million unit harvest year in and year out doesn’t negatively impact the resource.

Never too old to learn
Re: College Assignment Topic--Trapping [Re: Hunting G] #6322752
09/11/18 03:16 PM
09/11/18 03:16 PM
Marengo, Oh
CornFedCoon Offline
trapper
CornFedCoon  Offline
trapper

Marengo, Oh
With only 8-9 minutes, I think it would be difficult to address the ethics portion of trapping, especially if question time is included in the 8-9 minutes. There is simply too much context required to explain everything thoroughly.

I really like your idea of a conservation focused presentation. It is an important message that needs to be known, isn't controversial, and easy to explain. Touching on how it is beneficial for wildlife to have an economic value associated with them is critical. You could use the impressive dollar figures that outdoor recreation raises each year (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has graphics for this info) and then explain how the trickle down effect of habitat improvement/preservation helps all species.

Just a shot in the dark, but this isn't for Tom Stewart's class at OSU is it?

Good luck!

Re: College Assignment Topic--Trapping [Re: CornFedCoon] #6322895
09/11/18 06:13 PM
09/11/18 06:13 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Thanks everyone for the responses! Lots of stuff to think about for sure.
All of this really helps!
I'll be writing up an outline I'll share with you all here soon

Originally Posted By: CornFedCoon
Just a shot in the dark, but this isn't for Tom Stewart's class at OSU is it?

Nope, I am out in Iowa for college

-Lydia

What you do today matters. Pass it on
Always stay Humble and Kind
OSTA- NTA
Re: College Assignment Topic--Trapping [Re: Hunting G] #6323061
09/11/18 09:40 PM
09/11/18 09:40 PM
Portland, Michigan
M
matt buche Offline
trapper
matt buche  Offline
trapper
M

Portland, Michigan
I worked on a college campus for 28 years and have had numerous discussions with antis. Remember this statement. You could stop all hunting and trapping tomorrow and you would not eliminate what you perceive to be animal suffering one iota, you would simply be exchanging one death for another. Instead of 100 thousand car deer accidents you would then have 200 thousand, instead of 20 thousand fawns killed by farm machinery you would have 40 thousand and so on down the line. Starvation, disease, road kill, you name it the increases would be dramatic. I have never had anyone argue that point with me.

Dont choose to stand in a pile of crap then complain about the smell...
Re: College Assignment Topic--Trapping [Re: Hunting G] #6323070
09/11/18 09:56 PM
09/11/18 09:56 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
#3 and 4. Have some stats from your State Dept of Resources. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread