No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Skinning for Taxidermy #6342345
10/07/18 09:59 AM
10/07/18 09:59 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline OP
trapper
Macthediver  Offline OP
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Anyone got a handle on good youtube videos about skinning critters for taxidermy? I've skinned about every kind of critter I can legally kill. But it's always been just to get the hide off for fur market or to process the meat.
I did skin a few skunks some years back for a taxidermist. Basically I just cased them down to the last leg joint and back of the skull. Left the feet, head and tail for the taxidermist to skin as he pleased.
I got a guy wanting me to trap a few critters this fall just for him to mount. Shipping will be killer if I don't lighten them up. I'm going ask him how, where he wants them cut. But I'm not against watching a few videos see how other do it.
I'm sure like most things more than one way to do it.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342357
10/07/18 10:08 AM
10/07/18 10:08 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I'm sure if you look on YouTube you'll find something. However, many times it depends on the taxidermists particular wishes.

I've skinned out a few marten and red fox for taxidermy, and the preference was for a dorsal cut; one cut up the back starting about an inch before the tail to just beyond the shoulders. It was a little difficult getting my mind around cutting a fur-bearer up the back, but it really makes sense for the taxidermy trade.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342384
10/07/18 11:03 AM
10/07/18 11:03 AM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Dont have a video reference.
Yeah the cut depends on the Taxi preference. Other then that.
Make sure to get the eyelids cut close pretty important and plenty of the lip material so they can tuck.
Then its just a matter of skinning paws down around toes which can take a little time ,if you dont want to cut them off at paw.

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342387
10/07/18 11:12 AM
10/07/18 11:12 AM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
Watching here. I am gonna give taking the cartlege out of the ears and skinning out the paws of red fox this season.

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342390
10/07/18 11:14 AM
10/07/18 11:14 AM
South Central, MN
B
Blindsniper Offline
trapper
Blindsniper  Offline
trapper
B

South Central, MN
I was just watching this the other day on YouTube, as I'm considering trying my hand at it this season. Brian Hendricks is who to look up on YouTube if my link doesn't work. He covers just about anything you want to know on the mounting process.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmTqMPRj1iU1DX3Krw6oTSw-kL9yZM4bq

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342442
10/07/18 12:33 PM
10/07/18 12:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Drying skins for taxidermy you need to make sure that all the parts are there and skinned out sufficiently to ensure they dry properly and quickly,and can withstand the tanning process without degradation.On small specimens this means skinning out the feet to the last toe joint.Do not cut the pads,just turn the entire foot inside out as you skin it down.On animals with meaty ears,like fox you will have to turn the ears for proper drying.No need to entirely remove the cartilage,just separate it from the back of the ear and dry inside out.
For larger animals like bear and wolf,in addition to the ears,you will need to also split the lips and eyelids(separate the inner and outer skins),turn the nose,leaving about an inch of cartilage attached and flesh the skinned feet.
As far as skinning cuts,that will be up to the taxidermist you are dealing with to let you know.If you are selling taxi skins at auction,cased or open(bears) is fine.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342480
10/07/18 01:41 PM
10/07/18 01:41 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
You could also learn how to take carcass measurements before skinning, they are important for sizing the form they use.

Most all taxidermists after they have been in business for a time will have a certain way to skin each mount for what the customer does.

It's important to contact that particular one to find out his basic needs. Then learn how to salt cure the pelts properly for no slips to develop, as there are certain areas of the body that are more prone to slips than others.

You will find that doing all this is going to cost you extra time, make sure you charge for that as well.

I do it for almost every animal that comes to me full body, it's worth it in the long run for selling full pelts for showing and those who may want a mount done, as well as my hat work.

Only ones I don't fully work down are those with major holes or body part loss's, they just get garment material prepped, no head or foot work.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342533
10/07/18 03:17 PM
10/07/18 03:17 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Here's a taxidermy channel I watch once in awhile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Qoa8yRp3E

There's also a DVD set from Taxidermy 101

https://m.facebook.com/learntaxidermyschool/

Re: Skinning for Taxidermy [Re: Macthediver] #6342769
10/07/18 08:32 PM
10/07/18 08:32 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The majority of the hundreds of wolf wolverine and bears handled by the auction houses for taxidermy are stretched and dried.Thats how I do mine.I do a few lynx for taxidermy each year and ship stretched and dried to the auction.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread