No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bait piles for coyotes #6366626
11/06/18 12:28 PM
11/06/18 12:28 PM
Minnesota
S
shortliner16 Offline OP
trapper
shortliner16  Offline OP
trapper
S

Minnesota
Alright, so the rifle season is in full swing and I have access to a ton of carcasses. What's the best situation? Clearing in the trees, thick willows, can a tree row work? I have a few spots close to home that have just tree rows around fields that are about 10 yards wide. Would that work or not quite wide enough?

Re: Bait piles for coyotes [Re: shortliner16] #6366643
11/06/18 01:20 PM
11/06/18 01:20 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The size of the area is not as important to me than the funneling points around it as it does not need to be a lot of funneling it only needs to be a narrow trail in the weeds that narrows down and hides my snare loops.

I like to put out a big bait and let them hit on the bait for a bit and establish the trails for me, it might take a week or 2 but once they are comfortable hammering at the bait they will come in easier and your not wasting time checking every few days to see if they are working it.

Putting out a large bait or maintaining a active bait pile until the snow is on the ground it golden as you just look around and see what way they are working the bait pile. You set too soon it will spook the others quicker and the pile will not be active if you pressure them too much. IMO

Look for a BIG bait if you can get them or several road killed deer if it's legal there. Go big! LOL

[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bait piles for coyotes [Re: Law Dog] #6366657
11/06/18 01:41 PM
11/06/18 01:41 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Another consideration in setting timber ares is that baits in the open, within the timbered area, will out produced baits in thick cover. Coyotes/wolves want to see, both approaching and while they're on it, if there’s danger from other predators, thus the best sites are in the open and ringed by heavy cover to hang snares in. All you basically need, for the ideal station, is an opening large enough for “large birds of prey” to land directly into, thus no walking in on trails with snares, and coyotes/wolves have the protective cover going to and at the bait.

Last edited by bctomcat; 11/06/18 01:43 PM.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Bait piles for coyotes [Re: shortliner16] #6366675
11/06/18 02:09 PM
11/06/18 02:09 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
Agree on the open areas and BIG baits. Ravens and magpies attract other predators. Something else I found in my situation (on wolves) is they will actually start patterning me, so plan your sets in locations you can check from a distance. Once it snows and there's boot tracks into/around the bait site they avoid crossing my tracks and will slip in using the thickest cover. I will "salt" a travel route or smaller area with some scraps (heads, femur bones, etc) that can't be carried off by smaller critters. The idea is they will find them and return. Anecdotally I can say it seems to shorten their travel circuits somewhat. I would think this would apply to coyotes as well. Interested to see what others have to say.

Re: Bait piles for coyotes [Re: shortliner16] #6366887
11/06/18 06:46 PM
11/06/18 06:46 PM
Minnesota
S
shortliner16 Offline OP
trapper
shortliner16  Offline OP
trapper
S

Minnesota
ttt

Re: Bait piles for coyotes [Re: shortliner16] #6366890
11/06/18 06:51 PM
11/06/18 06:51 PM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
Can't stress enough BCTOMCATS advice about giving raptors a place to land. Never place the big baits in the cover and snare coming in from the outside.

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread