No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392548
12/07/18 12:03 PM
12/07/18 12:03 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Unless you've made this mark I have circled, I'd say that's a muskrat tail drag in the mud.

[Linked Image]

Spot #1 appears to be a 'rat dive hole, but I can't tell from the pic. Same goes for #2.

Muskrats will have these dive holes under the vegetation, coming out on the other side somewhere. You don't want to walk on top this vegetation, as you'll crush the runs with your boots. Walk around and check to see where these runs come out on the other side. Then set your #110 or what have you in these runs or a colony trap.

Remember the rule of thumb . . . work upstream. You'll see things better that way in the water.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392554
12/07/18 12:16 PM
12/07/18 12:16 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Now, back to the first pic. Can't tell from the shadows, but I'm thinking you need to relocate that colony trap to where I've got it red inked in. That looks to be deeper to me. 'Rats and mink will normally "bottom edge" where the water continues to be deeper than the inside bend, though that's not always true. I also think that inside bend becomes too shallow for 'rats to feel safe in.

[Linked Image]

You might want to bring a tile spade along with you to help form that "bottom edge" where I've got the proposed new site for the colony trap. Tile spades make quick work of helping to form that nice 90 angled bottom edge.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392557
12/07/18 12:23 PM
12/07/18 12:23 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
And the third pic. Look inside the red circle. What've you got there?

[Linked Image]

Now follow those two trails leading northwest and southwest in the picture and you might be able to find places to set bodygrips or colony traps.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392560
12/07/18 12:32 PM
12/07/18 12:32 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Another thought. Take the colony out and let's set three bodygrip traps in there. I've replaced all my #110s with #150s, but whatever you've got, probably #110s, let's set 'em in these three places marked in red.

[Linked Image]

Avoid walking upstream in the ditch once you've got these set up, as you'll have crud heading downstream into these bodygrips. You might add a few sticks on both sides of the trap to help funnel 'em.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392572
12/07/18 12:47 PM
12/07/18 12:47 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
And a word about tile spades. Here's a standard tile spade when purchased from the store.

[Linked Image]

Now grind off the nose so you've got it flat across. Like this.

[Linked Image]

Not only will this help you create "perfect" bottom edges for colony traps and bodygrips, but makes a good walking staff while wading that ditch and helps getting up and down the sides of it too.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392581
12/07/18 01:03 PM
12/07/18 01:03 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Set it.

If you want to perk curiosity dig some fresh mud up in a run. That should get some attention

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Muskrat] #6392691
12/07/18 05:10 PM
12/07/18 05:10 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Another thought. Take the colony out and let's set three bodygrip traps in there. I've replaced all my #110s with #150s, but whatever you've got, probably #110s, let's set 'em in these three places marked in red.

[Linked Image]

Avoid walking upstream in the ditch once you've got these set up, as you'll have crud heading downstream into these bodygrips. You might add a few sticks on both sides of the trap to help funnel 'em.

Colony traps aren't necessarily my thing but they do work quickly to take a majority of the rats. Another option is a version of what Muskrat gave you for advice---fill the entire width and depth with colony traps if you have them. I'd start setting under the bank and work out. I suspect the water isnt deep enough to stack them but if you run into that situation stack them as high as possible while still keeping them submerged. In your current picture you only have a small strip of stream before you hit that little island. its only going to take 3-4 cages to fill that. You may want to look at the other side of the island/strip grass and fill in the remainder of the stream if you have the traps.

I made a set like this a week ago. it took 5 cages up under the bank and then another 8 or 9 to fill the distance from the edge of the bank to the other far bank. took 16 rats in 3 days. 13 of those came under/against the bank

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392721
12/07/18 06:10 PM
12/07/18 06:10 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Listen to Coonwild, he knows of which he speaks. I watched his video and chatted with him a few years ago and have had good success with colony traps.

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392867
12/07/18 09:39 PM
12/07/18 09:39 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
I hate those shovels made in China, there is a bamboo core from the steel to the fiberglass. When you use these in water the water soaks in ,swells the bamboo, it freezes, and the next leverage you have in the condition, snap, the bamboo is only 6 inches and the fiberglass is kaputt.
Try to get one with a good hickory handle, USA MADE. The steel will be a tempered and hold an edge, not like the pressed puncked out junk mentioned above.

Are you allowed to fence? old fridge racks work perfect

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Northof50] #6392922
12/07/18 10:36 PM
12/07/18 10:36 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Northof50
I hate those shovels made in China, there is a bamboo core from the steel to the fiberglass. When you use these in water the water soaks in ,swells the bamboo, it freezes, and the next leverage you have in the condition, snap, the bamboo is only 6 inches and the fiberglass is kaputt.
Try to get one with a good hickory handle, USA MADE. The steel will be a tempered and hold an edge, not like the pressed puncked out junk mentioned above.

Ouch!

My mistake! Just Google Imaged up a tile spade and used the pic as was. Northof50 gives good advice.

Now I'll have to check to see where my tile spade was made if I can still read any of the print on it. But it's 20+ years old, before the China Syndrome most likely. Haven't had the bamboo freezing issue with it. Hmmmm . . . .

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392932
12/07/18 10:45 PM
12/07/18 10:45 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
How about this one Northof50? Already comes with a squared off snout! Fiskars baby!!

[Linked Image]

The steel D-handle design offers excellent control and durability to make edging, slicing and digging in tough soil easy.

The Fiskars® steel D-handle square garden spade features a durable design that provides excellent grip when you are working with soil or cutting turf. The welded steel construction is far more durable than wood and won’t flex like fiberglass. The extra-large D-handle design offers two-handed control, a sharpened blade cuts into dense soil easily, and an extra-large foot platform helps maximize force to break up hardened soil clods.

Features
•Ideal for edging, cutting a trench, slicing through thick turf or digging
•Extra-large D-handle design offers secure two-handed control when digging, even while wearing gloves
•Welded 14-gauge hardened steel blade and 18-gauge steel shaft provide durability that far outlasts wood-handled tools and won’t flex like fiberglass
•Sharpened blade makes it easy to penetrate tough soil or break up hardened dirt clods
•Extra-large foot platform helps maximize force when driving the blade into soil
•Powder-coated steel resists rust and offers easy cleaning
•Length: 46"
Lifetime warranty

Re: Muskrat Trapping in Ditches [Re: Siegs] #6392943
12/07/18 10:57 PM
12/07/18 10:57 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I do believe I just talked myself into buying this particular shovel tomorrow. Going to the big city for my grandson's birthday, just might stop off at the new Fleet Farm there in DeForest and see if I can't scare one up.

Fiskars Steel D-handle Garden Spade (46")

I'd have to guess I've got at least 200 bottom edge sets out by mid-January, some years closer to 300, and the tile spade I have now works just fine for making that 90-degree right angle throughout the length of my 36" colony traps against bottom edges.

So I'll purchase this particular model and give a product review in March when I pull all BE sets.

Thanks for pointing out the flaws in the pic I posted above Nof50. Hopefully the Fiskars meets with your approval.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread