No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: payotetrapper] #7924926
08/10/23 11:14 AM
08/10/23 11:14 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Thanks, they all have new springs and PIT pans installed. Baseplates and Heavier swiveled chains too. Reason I asked is the advocation of Bridger #3”s quite often ( high jaws). The SJ Victors have similar high jaws. They do have slightly thinner jaws.

Last edited by kytrapper; 08/10/23 11:15 AM. Reason: Addition
Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: payotetrapper] #7924942
08/10/23 11:50 AM
08/10/23 11:50 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Years ago when I lived in southern Michigan I bought a couple dozen mixed no.3 Montgomerys and Victors.The Victors were the 70's style square jaw and offset,the Montgomerys were standard jaws.All were 4 coiled.I wanted them for beaver because the area had a growing beaver population in an urban/suburban setting where I wouldn't risk expensive beaver traps.I was really surprised and pleased with their performance.I honestly can't remember having more losses from the offsets.All were 4 coiled,I remember being amazed at some of the hind foot catches I got in the offsets.When 4 coiled the trap is a vice once it goes off.Offset traps could have issues with toe catches but if his foot gets locked in it he ain't getting out.You only have to hold him for the few minutes it takes him to drown.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: payotetrapper] #7925295
08/10/23 07:39 PM
08/10/23 07:39 PM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
I was going to use my 750 offsets for double duty instead of buying the same traps but regular jaw. Dam Beaver said giver but I might get some empty traps. They were correct. Bought 1 750 beaver to try and the set produced all kinds of sizes.
Let us know how installation of rubber on the jaws works. Sounds like a good idea.

Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: payotetrapper] #7925431
08/10/23 09:53 PM
08/10/23 09:53 PM
ON
R
Racer55 Offline
trapper
Racer55  Offline
trapper
R

ON
I haven't had any issues even with front foot catches in my bridger #5 laminated offsets.

Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: payotetrapper] #7925484
08/10/23 10:47 PM
08/10/23 10:47 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
What would be the advantage of an offset compared to a standard jaw? Somebody might say that it would allow the levers to get higher, getting more tension to the jaws. IMO, when trapping an animal that can only fight the trap for minutes before it drowns, that’s not much of an advantage.

I like solid jaws in event of toe catches. Seldom do I find an empty trap at the end of the ten foot cable.

Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: Bigbrownie] #7925720
08/11/23 10:36 AM
08/11/23 10:36 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
What would be the advantage of an offset compared to a standard jaw? Somebody might say that it would allow the levers to get higher, getting more tension to the jaws. IMO, when trapping an animal that can only fight the trap for minutes before it drowns, that’s not much of an advantage.

I like solid jaws in event of toe catches. Seldom do I find an empty trap at the end of the ten foot cable.

Only advantage for me was that I wanted to use my wolf traps for spring beaver because they were sitting in the trap shed doing nothing. Obviously off sets work, but I’m not doing that again. Could’ve been rats setting them off, but when I switched to beaver 750s and they were set off, there’s a beaver under the water. From 0% to 100% catch rate.

Last edited by Shakeyjake; 08/11/23 10:37 AM.
Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: 330-Trapper] #7925729
08/11/23 10:54 AM
08/11/23 10:54 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by 080808
Set for front foot only!

25 years into Trapping Beaver....I wS given the Video/DVD teachers of the Night (I believe Clint Locklears) it will show you How many ways Beaver will work a Set. Setting for front foot will work a certain percent of the time...make you wonder what happened at others and Educate more beaver than you Realize. The Reason Beavermen will tell you Buy Beaver Traps

This

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Offset traps for beaver [Re: cathryn] #7925745
08/11/23 11:33 AM
08/11/23 11:33 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by cathryn
Originally Posted by The Beav
It's a good thing some one gave It to you.
I have yet to see anyone place the bait stick In front of the trap. No one places a 330 in the vertical potion In a steep pull out. I could go on.

If the guy has them you just have to learn to get It done with what you have. But He does need to get some real beaver traps. I would suggest MB750s

A bait stick in front of a foot trap is deadly. Especially on beaver that for whatever reason have stopped working your sets and you know they're there.
Yellow poplar and black cherry work well.

Make a false slide...put a fresh bait stick..Jerry always peels alittle.of the bark back for.contrast on the stick and for.more scent..set your foothold at the bottom of the slide..and wait.

Do NOT use lure on this set.

Jerry has caught 1000s of beaver in 4 coiled #3s. That's the trap that Charlie Dobbins showed Jerry how to use.. Charlie's way of thinking on beaver trapping according to what he taught jerry was..buy the cheapest trap you can buy for the job and buy more of them.n theory you'll catch more beaver than the next guy if you have the same work ethic because you have more traps set.

Jerry.doesnt own any belisles or 750s or anything like that and he's caught literally 1000s of beaver in #3.footholds.

Some.People.would say BS but the proofs in the fur shed.

What you have will work.

The true reason most people want the biggest trap with the biggest jaw spread is because they don't have precise trap placement figured out.

Your traps will work just fine.

Set for the front foot..you can drown em in less water and if you miss the front foot you still have a chance at a back foot catch.

I am a nuisance trapper. Of course I will not argue with anything said by someone who has caught thousands of beaver setting for front feet, and that is exactly what I would do in that situation. However, in my world of year round trapping, often in high visibility locations, setting a trap shallow for front foot catches results in snapped traps due to geese (summertime before they migrate south), raccoons year round when temps are over 20°F, and turtles when water is over about 45°F - I just cant do it.
So I use big traps and set for rear feet, which almost 100% eliminates non-targets. It also causes missed beaver compared to setting for front feet, but that is the tradeoff. As a side note, none of the beaver footholds 7.5” and 8.5” sizes, are big enough to eliminate misses on a large beaver’s back foot. However, the beauty of a foothold for beaver is that they can be completely hidden underwater, and the same beaver that was missed a day or two earlier will step in another one because it is undetectable.
Setting for front foot with smaller OR larger traps will get you more beaver, especially if you are not dealing with non target species, but if you are nuisance trapping year round my advice is learn to set deep for back foot catches.
As for offset, I agree with most everyone else that you will lose a few that you might not have lost, but overall they will work, and they are still footholds so if you conceal them well you can get another chance at one that escapes because of the offset not closing fully on toes.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread