No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hide prep for tanning #6416383
01/02/19 12:34 PM
01/02/19 12:34 PM
Pennsylvania
C
Cougar Offline OP
trapper
Cougar  Offline OP
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
When you prepare a hide for sending out to be tanned. Do you flesh any differently then when your going to just send to market or sell locally. Meaning do you get every bit of red flesh, fat & membrane off the hide? Cartilage out of the ears or read flesh on the head area or red membrane on back after fleshing the front arms. The way I was shown to flesh and the fact supposedly red fox don't require a lot of fleshing is some of that stuff will just dry up with good air flow (fan) and heated shed. Just get the big meaty flesh and fat off, the rest will dry as it does. Just curious, as I want to send a couple out this year for myself and not really sure what the big fur buyers do with these hides after they've bought them in prep for tanning to make garments.

Thanks for any info!

Re: Hide prep for tanning [Re: Cougar] #6416399
01/02/19 01:05 PM
01/02/19 01:05 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
Flesh and dry the same as you would if you were selling . I send a pretty fair amount of put up /ready for sale fur to tanneries after I decide wether or not I want to sell . I know for a fact that there are larger fur buyers sending fur to the same tanneries that I use . I've seen it first hand . It didn't look like there was anything different done to the fur than what you or I would do to sell .

Last edited by VH60; 01/02/19 01:06 PM.
Re: Hide prep for tanning [Re: Cougar] #6416402
01/02/19 01:08 PM
01/02/19 01:08 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
On the coon and beaver and rat and possums I sent to moyles, I just fleshed them normal. They have fleshing/ thinning machines.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Hide prep for tanning [Re: Cougar] #6416423
01/02/19 01:19 PM
01/02/19 01:19 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
The one thing that you can do differently if sending your pelts to be tanned is that you do not need to turn fox, coyotes, fisher, etc.

You can leave those pelts fur in and they will be just fine. One less thing for you to do and it decreases the chances of the pelt tearing.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread