Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: New York State Long-tailed Weasel (M. frenata) [Re: joepennanti] #6453536
02/07/19 10:06 AM
02/07/19 10:06 AM
NY
ADK95 Offline
trapper
ADK95  Offline
trapper

NY
That headless squirrel... I've come across a few headless hare during my time in the ADK. Do you think that's the work of a long tail? At the time I just said "weasel" and moved on. Never considered the different species.

There was one instance where I actually watched a weasel chasing a showshoe hare up and over a hill through a maple stand... not sure what the outcome was but he was gaining on that bunny. Looking back, the size of that critter would suggest it was a long tail.

Re: New York State Long-tailed Weasel (M. frenata) [Re: joepennanti] #6454174
02/07/19 08:36 PM
02/07/19 08:36 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Joe,are you sure the squirrel is headless?In the picture it looks like the head is inverted in the neck skin and the severed neck vertebrae are exposed.I wasn't there but that is what it looks like.Just asking.

Re: New York State Long-tailed Weasel (M. frenata) [Re: joepennanti] #6454253
02/07/19 09:26 PM
02/07/19 09:26 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I would think the same thing of raptors.I can't imagine them leaving that behind uless they got interrupted.I also can't picture a larger predator leaving it behind.I'd be afraid to guess.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91