No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Law Dog] #6436191
01/21/19 06:30 PM
01/21/19 06:30 PM
INDIANA
B
brandon170 Offline
trapper
brandon170  Offline
trapper
B

INDIANA
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I find it strange that people that have never been here or never plan on coming here that know little about how things are have so much to say. I remember my first trip to Arizona I thought trapping the middle of the washes was the place to set I quick learned that you trap the edges. I was told they are traveling when they were in the middle of the draws and hunting when they worked the edge of the draws. Made sense after I learned that but that came with the experience.

We have several weather patterns in our State some areas are very cold for most of the winter some areas stay above freezing during the same time. Just ran into a bit of serious frost last week its been freezing and thawing a lot. Where I live we have had 3 snow storms so far but where I trap cats at 50 miles away they have only had 1 storm and are always warmer then we are.

We have few trees here in SD compared to other places so our coons don't have the den tree options like in a lot of places so they favor hay stacks and old farmsteads along with brush/junk piles and culverts. I talk about access often as that is probably the #1 hurdle to trapping in the East especially in States that lack a lot of public lands. I know in IL it was a struggle to line up just a few places but a local in the farm country had a lot more options to trap on so what chance would a NR have?

People come here and trap and do well but they won't speak up, the reasons should be obvious and I don't blame them the way some behave on here. LOL Most of the negatives in other States don't apply here including the access issues, ROW trapping, snares, crowding and less theft problems. I cannot think of a eastern State that has the same to offer us but we offer it to others.

It's just a shame that the ones driving the wedge and not seeing what is being offered for now that just drive people to the "other side" but then they have nothing to lose so what are they really doing at the end of the day but making it worse.

I find it strange that people that have never been here or never plan on coming here that know little about how things are have so much to say. I remember my first trip to Arizona I thought trapping the middle of the washes was the place to set I quick learned that you trap the edges. I was told they are traveling when they were in the middle of the draws and hunting when they worked the edge of the draws. Made sense after I learned that but that came with the experience.

We have several weather patterns in our State some areas are very cold for most of the winter some areas stay above freezing during the same time. Just ran into a bit of serious frost last week its been freezing and thawing a lot. Where I live we have had 3 snow storms so far but where I trap cats at 50 miles away they have only had 1 storm and are always warmer then we are.

We have few trees here in SD compared to other places so our coons don't have the den tree options like in a lot of places so they favor hay stacks and old farmsteads along with brush/junk piles and culverts. I talk about access often as that is probably the #1 hurdle to trapping in the East especially in States that lack a lot of public lands. I know in IL it was a struggle to line up just a few places but a local in the farm country had a lot more options to trap on so what chance would a NR have?

People come here and trap and do well but they won't speak up, the reasons should be obvious and I don't blame them the way some behave on here. LOL Most of the negatives in other States don't apply here including the access issues, ROW trapping, snares, crowding and less theft problems. I cannot think of a eastern State that has the same to offer us but we offer it to others.

It's just a shame that the ones driving the wedge and not seeing what is being offered for now that just drive people to the "other side" but then they have nothing to lose so what are they really doing at the end of the day but making it worse.

Maybe the people that come there to trap and do well keep quite. They don’t want another 13 restricting them more than what they are now.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6436283
01/21/19 08:32 PM
01/21/19 08:32 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
get a kick outta walk in program where farmer puts in a section of bean field... makes for a nice spot on the map book but when ya get there its pretty easy walkin bare field! or pasture

Totally agree. Makes me wonder if any parcel gets turned down for the state walk-in program if a landowner offers it? At least with corn stubble, a guy might be able to field decoy ducks and geese before it gets disced up. I was hunting in Butte Co one time for antelope and we swept through a Walk-In that was about 2,000 acres. We didn't cover it all but between walking and glassing, we figured that was saw most of it. Kicked up a couple of jacks but that was it, no ante goats, no mulies, no grouse, pretty much nothing on it except short-grass. I estimated that during the course of a hunting season (grouse, antelope, deer, and varmint) perhaps a couple of dozen guys walked on that land. At a buck an acre, the state paid about $80 to the landowner for each hunter to have access to that Walk-In. And maybe that's ok for allow hunters the chance to see some game but I wish there was a little more selection process than paying for anything offered...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6436505
01/22/19 07:03 AM
01/22/19 07:03 AM
South Dakota
N
Nativetrapper10 Offline
trapper
Nativetrapper10  Offline
trapper
N

South Dakota
the state will take most things for walk-in, this is fact. but in many cases they have potential for something. the fields are leased, and on the corn years could hold feeding geese and ducks, and often they have grassy water ways or sloughs. the dollar amount paid to the landowner, however, varies based on the usability of the parcel in question. so the bean field doesn't get a lot of money. for whatever reason, the last few years the residents in this state have decided that we hate the sdgfp. but im here to tell ya, we have one of the finest state run wildlife and fisheries agencies anywhere in the world. it is staffed with top notch biologists doing top notch work. but they can only do so much. they cant control the farmers who seem (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) bent on leaving no habitat standing. they cant stop the corps from flooding the river. they cant stop EHD from coming through and wiping out our deer herds and they cannot control the weather that has caused huge percentages of nesting failure. GFP does a good job, weve just been hit with an almost unreal string of bad luck the last 6-10 years.

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: Nativetrapper10] #6436738
01/22/19 12:20 PM
01/22/19 12:20 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by Nativetrapper10
GFP does a good job, weve just been hit with an almost unreal string of bad luck the last 6-10 years.

There's that KARMA thing going on again. shocked

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: NonPCfed] #6436998
01/22/19 06:17 PM
01/22/19 06:17 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
get a kick outta walk in program where farmer puts in a section of bean field... makes for a nice spot on the map book but when ya get there its pretty easy walkin bare field! or pasture

Totally agree. Makes me wonder if any parcel gets turned down for the state walk-in program if a landowner offers it? At least with corn stubble, a guy might be able to field decoy ducks and geese before it gets disced up. I was hunting in Butte Co one time for antelope and we swept through a Walk-In that was about 2,000 acres. We didn't cover it all but between walking and glassing, we figured that was saw most of it. Kicked up a couple of jacks but that was it, no ante goats, no mulies, no grouse, pretty much nothing on it except short-grass. I estimated that during the course of a hunting season (grouse, antelope, deer, and varmint) perhaps a couple of dozen guys walked on that land. At a buck an acre, the state paid about $80 to the landowner for each hunter to have access to that Walk-In. And maybe that's ok for allow hunters the chance to see some game but I wish there was a little more selection process than paying for anything offered...

Just went by a walkin today down by Yankton you could play golf there no problem the stubble was as flat as it could be or it would of been dirt! If you think about resident bird hunting is a thing of the past. When was the last time you seen a group of residents doing the opening day group hunts and feeds (along with NR) I have not witnessed or heard of a local hunt in the last 15 years since it went to paid hunting. Heck that was like a Superbowl party. The caravans of cars/trucks have disappeared the first day and are replaced by small groups of buses, van or SUVs hauling paid hunters. I live just down the road from a small GFP area and weekends go by and I don't hear shots even. Sure a couple guys go out here and there but just on a small scale the opener was like the 1st day of deer season now it's nothing really.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6437030
01/22/19 06:56 PM
01/22/19 06:56 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
If you think about resident bird hunting is a thing of the past. When was the last time you seen a group of residents doing the opening day group hunts and feeds (along with NR) I have not witnessed or heard of a local hunt in the last 15 years since it went to paid hunting. Heck that was like a Superbowl party.

I mostly agree. There's a lot of the "city" SD people who don't have much of a connection to rural communities anymore (and there are more South Dakotans who live in the "cities" than any place else). Get a generation or two removed from the land and rural residents, maybe even those by blood, and it doesn't count for much more than a relationship that at least was started by money. I had a bunch of cousins, most of who grew up on a farm or small town. While my dad and his brothers and sisters were alive, things kind of held together, although if I wanted to hunt, it was always me that would have to start the conversation. That older generation is mostly gone and my generation is scattered and rarely talk with each other. Not that there are bad feelings but the blood just isn't thick enough to to make up for distance and time.

I'm pretty sure that I'll never experience a 400 bird flush again or limit out a 15-20 person party in an hour or two. I've resigned myself to that fact. I'll pick a few off here and there on the edges and call it good and if I can do it with a few friends or my kids and maybe my grandkids someday, so much the better. Or maybe someday, I'll say to what the he!! and throw down a roll of Uncle Bens in some guy's lap and say, "batter up on one of those multi-hundred bird flushes" and relive some of the past. If there is anything to relive...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6437088
01/22/19 08:15 PM
01/22/19 08:15 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Did not see anyone walking a field this year that was not a pay hunter with a payed guide service running the show. Seen maybe a dozen hunters on the public next to me and a few ROW guys, I try to point them to where I have seen birds on the section lines or thick ditches.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Bounty in South Dakota? [Re: stumper] #6437166
01/22/19 09:46 PM
01/22/19 09:46 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Did see 1 pond today with several nice rat huts on it the most I have seen in years and a few singles here and there but not many! No flags on any of them that I could see.

Jerry Herbst
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread