No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marketable wildlife biology #6447073
01/31/19 06:36 PM
01/31/19 06:36 PM
Lincoln County, Wisconsin
N
Nikolas Offline OP
trapper
Nikolas  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lincoln County, Wisconsin
I'm only in high school and was looking into career paths and ones that really stood out to me were Forestry or Wildlife biology. This got me thinking is there a market for wildlife biologists where one could be a part of managing ranches or even guiding hunts? I really enjoy science and social studies (like geography and maps) but am above average in all other subjects. It really seems like wildlife biology could branch off into so many opportunities and if anyone has experience or insight I would love to hear from you. Also I wouldn't mind moving across states if that's where the opportunity is and there's ample hunting/trapping. Another thing, would wildlife biology possibly improve my understanding of animals as a trapper?

Sorry it's long,
Thank you for any input.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447077
01/31/19 06:42 PM
01/31/19 06:42 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
There are private biologists working for some of the bigger game ranches in Texas and other similiar endeavors. There are also nuisance wildlife companies out there that make it a point to have wildlife biologists on staff.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447083
01/31/19 06:47 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Nikolas -

As a semi-retired carnivore biologist, I'll throw in my 2-cents-worth. Go into the field of wildlife biology, especially if you're already into hunting and trapping. There is certainly a market and probably will continue to be, if you are committed. Know right off the bat, however, that you'll never make any real money. The main reason I'm suggesting that you go that route with your background is that in this day and age, the vast majority of the graduating wildlife biologists are not consumptive users, never have been and never will be. To have a dog in the fight, it is my opinion that all practicing wildlife biologists should be hunters and trappers. Without that basic foundation, most aren't worth a rusty Victor #1. Good luck in your quest, young man.

Jack

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447084
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Nope and yes. Wildlife biology degrees are a dime a dozen with young folks thinking it's a free ticket into what they do for fun as a living.

I'm a high school drop out business owner and have had a full dozen degreed wildlife biologists working as employees at the basic tech level, not one of them ever advanced to management level nor did they ever go into business for themselves.
However, a couple persevered and made their way into public or private jobs they wanted.

As in all things it is what you make of it, just don't think a sheepskin is a magic carpet ride. My personal opinion diplomas are worthless, ambition is priceless.

[Linked Image]
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447110
01/31/19 07:21 PM
01/31/19 07:21 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
Having graduated with a B.S. degree in Biological Studies with emphasis on wildlife I would say its a hard road. Most of my life spent in the firearms industry doing all sorts of jobs, but mostly mechanical design. I always tell people my belief is that one might be better off doing water ecology combined with fish ecology (Ictheology). Every municipality and Fish & Wildlife (public or private employer) would have a need if you are towards the top of your class.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447130
01/31/19 07:48 PM
01/31/19 07:48 PM
wisconsin
F
forester79 Offline
trapper
forester79  Offline
trapper
F

wisconsin
There is a huge demand for foresters right now. Might be a better path. Wildlife you better plan on at least a master's degree to just get into the state level. Alot of the basic classes are the same so you can start and make up your mind what you want to do as you go. Either way it's point or you could go to vermilion in eky mn for a 2 year degree then transfer to point.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447133
01/31/19 07:53 PM
01/31/19 07:53 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Almost 50 years ago I was in the same place as you.
I did one semester and at that point I could see the writing on the wall.
I ended up meeting several guys in the same field as I was that had done their Masters.
They couldn't get jobs in their field, they were maintaining Golf Courses, working Landscaping, maintaining Aquariums.
I was not about waste the time and money for an uncertain future as much as I loved the natural world.
I quit, went into a very successful career that started in Tool and Die and ended up allowing me to retire at the age of 50.
Even today the market for Tool makers is high. Very few applicants for every job.
Not so for biologists. Tons of applicants for very few jobs.

I have a Nephew who married an adorable woman that has a Masters in Aquatic Insects, She has ended up teaching grade school biology.

So I say this do some serious investigating on future job prospects.
If you are OK with the outlook and willing to make the sacrifices then go for it.
Be the very best in the most needed field is a good strategy.
Money isn't everything, but it sure makes life easier.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Gulo] #6447147
01/31/19 08:07 PM
01/31/19 08:07 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Gulo
Nikolas -

As a semi-retired carnivore biologist, I'll throw in my 2-cents-worth. Go into the field of wildlife biology, especially if you're already into hunting and trapping. There is certainly a market and probably will continue to be, if you are committed. Know right off the bat, however, that you'll never make any real money. The main reason I'm suggesting that you go that route with your background is that in this day and age, the vast majority of the graduating wildlife biologists are not consumptive users, never have been and never will be. To have a dog in the fight, it is my opinion that all practicing wildlife biologists should be hunters and trappers. Without that basic foundation, most aren't worth a rusty Victor #1. Good luck in your quest, young man.

Jack

Here is your best guidance^^^^

Most state and federal wildlife conservation agencies are struggling to hire staff that hunt, fish, or trap. Potential wildlife field employees that do no participate in hunting, fishing, or trapping have no vested interest in the job and will never be as effective employees as those that do.

I was headed in the same direction as you, albeit a little later in life than right out of high school, but due to an unexpected life event, I had to redirect and only obtained an Associates in Wildlife Technology. I have been employed by Georgia DNR for over 23 years.

Good luck.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447151
01/31/19 08:10 PM
01/31/19 08:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Also consider this. When your hobby becomes work you can grow to not enjoy it as much. I grew up hunting and fishing with some trapping. I'm a full time nuisance trapper and I haven't hunted in years for lack of time and I might go fishing a couple three times a year. But my family has a roof over their head and food in their belly.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means but as I hit the half century mark this year there's a lot of things I might have chosen differently when I was your age. For one I would've either stuck it out in the Army until retirement, what I quit school to do, or as you're considering knuckled down and graduated and pursued a degree in wildlife, fisheries or forestry. But then again I was pretty clueless at 17 and it took almost everything I experienced to gain the knowledge and skills to find my niche.
Good luck to you and I challenge to always be learning and advancing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Gulo] #6447205
01/31/19 09:01 PM
01/31/19 09:01 PM
NE North Carolina
V
varmintshooter Offline
trapper
varmintshooter  Offline
trapper
V

NE North Carolina
Originally Posted by Gulo
Nikolas -

Jack

I agree with Gulo, if you hunt and trap you need to go for it. Non consumptive kids that have never been in the woods, just walking in city parks are taking over the USFWS and state wildlife agencies. I firmly believe you cannot manage animal populations without killing something. Most of the new age biologist don't believe that.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447211
01/31/19 09:07 PM
01/31/19 09:07 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
If it’s your absolute passion in life then go for it all out, if you’re on the fence really sit down and crunch the numbers. I have a wildlife degree and have gotten to do some cool stuff in multiple states with multiple agencies. I do get to spend the majority of my time working outside with minimal paperwork and office time which is important to me. Health insurance, which is pretty important these days is good with govt jobs either state or fed.The negatives, jobs are typically highly competitive for low pay, often in desolate areas that are hard on families to find housing, jobs, daycare etc... if you want to stay single and bounce around doing tech jobs staying in various bunkhouses or camping it could be right up your alley. Money sure as heck isn’t everything, but it is something unfortunately. Good luck to ya.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447220
01/31/19 09:19 PM
01/31/19 09:19 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
That would be a great career and very much doubt you would have any problem finding a job. Good luck

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447249
01/31/19 10:00 PM
01/31/19 10:00 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Go for it. I know to be a warden officer he you need at least a bachelors and strongly recommend in the fields of art least biology. It's a state job too (law enforcement) but the pay doesn't compare to the pay of other officers but you're not dealing with all the nuts as often. The warden's here do a lot of game removal relocating trapping stocking etc....

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447257
01/31/19 10:14 PM
01/31/19 10:14 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Nikolas
or even guiding hunts? .

For this, you go to Irv Malnarichs Guide School or another that offers that training. You don't learn to pack horses and panniers and knots and horse wrangling and caping customers trophies in Biology classes.

My Biology degree, 30 yrs ago, got me a job at a state zoo for awhile, but went back to machining/toolmaking, like Dirty D above, since the money was twice as much. Ended up running QA in Mfg, checking the work of others.

Wildlife/Biology work for most states is a labor of love, under paid, but decent benefits and retirement.

As a trapper/hunter you could make a difference since most Biologists now days don't have that knowledge/understanding.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447300
01/31/19 10:49 PM
01/31/19 10:49 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I would imagine a state biologist who is one of us consumptive users would also need to develop excellent political skills as well considering who they report to.

Didn't one get canned or in trouble in commiefornia for hunting mountain lion?

[Linked Image]
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447316
01/31/19 11:03 PM
01/31/19 11:03 PM
Lyndon, Kansas
Railroader Offline
trapper
Railroader  Offline
trapper

Lyndon, Kansas
I have a friend, that worked for KS Wildlife and Parks, who had a masters degree. He was definitely underpaid and worked hard for it. He said in order to advance to a better job he would need a doctorate because all others applying for those jobs had one. Having said that he loved what he did and still had time to hunt and fish, and knew where all the hot public hunting spots were. His favorite part of the job was shocking and surveying the fish in the lakes and trapping/tagging game birds. He is now working for Wolf Creek Nuclear Plant as a biologist at the lake making HUGE money. There is good money to be had if you know where to look.

Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: warrior] #6447317
01/31/19 11:05 PM
01/31/19 11:05 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by warrior
I would imagine a state biologist who is one of us consumptive users would also need to develop excellent political skills as well considering who they report to.

Didn't one get canned or in trouble in commiefornia for hunting mountain lion?

Big wig, too, if memory serves.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447372
01/31/19 11:55 PM
01/31/19 11:55 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Nikolas,

Most biology jobs that I'm aware of don't pay very much (at least not for a long time) and are government work. I think it would drive you crazy working with government types; I did it for a while as a consultant, what a joke.

If you like geography/maps, are proficient in math, are into the outdoors and have a scientific mind you might want to consider some type of engineering that involves geology or other earth sciences. "Exploration geology" is my interest, it's considered a specific field of study and work.

I spent the past three days attending a mineral exploration trade show/conference in Vancouver B.C., I've been attending for the past three years. I talk to a lot of people in the mining and exploration industry; there seems to be a lack of young people getting into the industry, especially people who like to spend time in rather remote areas. It's a great field of work, spent in areas that are usually of interest to outdoors-men. The young geologists that I've met really enjoy the work. Plus, they make good money.

Good schools are in Colorado, Montana, and the UBC in Vancouver B.C..

There is a lot of new interest in mineral exploration in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the U.P. of Michigan. There's hundreds of mineral deposits and mines on the Canadian side of the border and the geology doesn't end at the border. After graduation you might even find a job in your part of the Country.

Last edited by waggler; 02/01/19 12:01 AM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447375
01/31/19 11:59 PM
01/31/19 11:59 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Want some great inspiration ? Read about Bart Scheyler. I'm sure I butchered his last name. But being an outdoorsman with a wildlife biology background certainly took him places. He also died broke.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Marketable wildlife biology [Re: Nikolas] #6447511
02/01/19 07:38 AM
02/01/19 07:38 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I think it's terrific that you're identifying career path opportunities and you're receiving some valuable input from individuals that have pursued that field. Maybe broaden your knowledge on other jobs that would give you the same sense of fulfillment, i.e.' Surveyor,(you like maps and geography) Environmental Sciences (a lot of work in the private sector for remediation and watershed challenges and restorations).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread