No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
When coyotes in heat what.... #6453897
02/07/19 03:41 PM
02/07/19 03:41 PM
Cottonport, Louisiana
P
Prejeans0316 Offline OP
trapper
Prejeans0316  Offline OP
trapper
P

Cottonport, Louisiana
What is your go to lure when coyotes around you are in heavy heavy heat breeding season?

Brad Prejean
Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6453920
02/07/19 04:12 PM
02/07/19 04:12 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Blind sets and snares set on routes the traditionally run at those times of year,AND,multiple sets.

Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6453923
02/07/19 04:19 PM
02/07/19 04:19 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
whistle

Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6453979
02/07/19 05:29 PM
02/07/19 05:29 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I didn't mean to be flip with that answer but that is a big part of my strategy,this time of year.I have learned what trails they commonly follow,this time of year and have taken doubles and triples on the,in blind sets.Often there may be 3 big males following a single female.

Beyond that,I lean on gland lures and urine,close to good trails and sometimes red gland and urine as a change up.If you can establish the right travelways,blind sets are deadly.The last thing they are watching is where they put their feet!

Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Taximan] #6454020
02/07/19 06:14 PM
02/07/19 06:14 PM
Cottonport, Louisiana
P
Prejeans0316 Offline OP
trapper
Prejeans0316  Offline OP
trapper
P

Cottonport, Louisiana
Originally Posted by Taximan
I didn't mean to be flip with that answer but that is a big part of my strategy,this time of year.I have learned what trails they commonly follow,this time of year and have taken doubles and triples on the,in blind sets.Often there may be 3 big males following a single female.

Beyond that,I lean on gland lures and urine,close to good trails and sometimes red gland and urine as a change up.If you can establish the right travelways,blind sets are deadly.The last thing they are watching is where they put their feet!

Thank you for all the advice, only issue is most of my land to trap is cattle pasture so not much trails to set snares on like that

Brad Prejean
Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6454046
02/07/19 06:36 PM
02/07/19 06:36 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
I agree with Taximan, if you can find where they're traveling, blind sets work. Learning where they're traveling can be a little more difficult, depending on terrain and weather conditions. Regardless, out in a pasture or not, those males are gonna be hot on the females trail, and they're gonna be marking their territory, trying to establish dominance, breeding rights. So a simple urine post set is what I use in pastures in late season. I just pick out something that stands out a little along the trail they're traveling. Can be a rock, a stick of firewood, a clump of grass. Usually a clump of grass for me. I get just off the trail slightly. More than a few feet, and sometimes they're more interested in what they're following down the trail. I bed the trap and squirt urine. Then I go a few feet, bed another trap, put gland lure. Then I go another few feet, and do one with gland lure and urine. Then I go another few feet, and I put one with a completely different gland lure, can be another yote gland lure, or fox, or cat. If I have two different urines, I'll mix another urine in on a set. None of my sets smell the same. If he's smelled one, and I missed, chances are he'll never work the other set(s) there. I don't have a bucket of smells either. Just enough to throw variety out there. A pile of scat can make a good urine post type set. Bed trap near scat, or maybe move the scat to fit your circumstance, squirt urine on it, and go. The key to any of it is, you have to be where the yote is gonna be anyways. You can put the trap where it'll step, as in a blind set. Or you can create a situation to interrupt it's travels and get it to work your set. Make them want to investigate the intruder and want to mark over that scent. And, like Taximan says, doubles and triples are possible if you can get on that trail. Location really is the key. Good luck! Just stick with it til it clicks. You'll find that combination of location and set that works.

Just to clarify. I put a LOT of traps right directly in the trail. I LOVE blind sets, and I'm always trying to take one with just a trap. That's when I know I'm truly on location. In the pastures I trap, I usually have to stay off the two track, even though the yotes are usually traveling directly on it. I move over a few feet, usually no more than 5' and they work the sets fine.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6454375
02/07/19 10:44 PM
02/07/19 10:44 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Gland lure, maybe urine

Re: When coyotes in heat what.... [Re: Prejeans0316] #6454429
02/07/19 11:37 PM
02/07/19 11:37 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
More so than the “what” to use this time of year is the “where” to you use it. And especially the micro “where”. Lots less coyotes out there right now than two months ago.

I see more of a location shift than a food smell versus social smell change.

Yes, they may be more interested in other coyotes and love now than a month ago, but they still gotta eat. And especially with this weather as of late.

I do typically use more gland and urine this time of year, but still kill a LOT of coyotes typically on food smells.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread